Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Diana Wu (Diana)
Solitaire Player
Username: Diana

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 6:04 pm:   

Hi,

I've tried to change the resolution of the screen. I can change the size of the resolution but I can't seem to change the bit (I mean, between, 256 color, HiColor and TrueColor.)

Does anyone have a solution?
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 6:31 am:   

>I've tried to change the resolution of the screen. I can change the size of the resolution but I can't seem to change the bit (I mean, between, 256 color, HiColor and TrueColor.)

1. Open the 'Display Properties' dialog box, either from the Control Panel or by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting 'Properties'.

2. Click on the 'Settings' tab.

3. In the 'Colors' box, select the desired color depth in the dropdown box.

If the box does not contain a particular option, either your display driver or your graphics card does not support that color depth. Unless your machine is fairly old, it is probably a driver issue, so try upgrading the display driver.

If you select a color depth and the resolution (a.k.a., 'Screen area') selector drops to a lower resolution and, conversely, moving that selector to the 'More' (right) end causes the color depth setting to switch lower, then your video card does not have enough memory to support the highest bit depth and greatest resolution at the same time.

I hope this helps. :-)
Diana Wu (Diana)
Intermediate Solitaire Player

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 8:20 am:   

Gregg,

I've done what you said. The display was already at "highest (32bit)" color quality. I only have that resolution and "medium (16 bit)". I don't even have a "256 color" resolution on here.

My computer is really new so it's not a driver issue (I think).

Any more thought?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 8:45 am:   

>The display was already at "highest (32bit)" color quality.

In that case, your system is already using "true color" mode.

>Any more thought?

At this point, I do not understand the problem. :-)
mark william todd (Mwtodd)
Username: Mwtodd

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 12:32 pm:   

256 color will be automatically set by the game you are playing (not by one who is playing) when you quit, your computer reverts to your default,16 or 32; this accomadates high graphic games, which pgs is not;
Diana Wu (Diana)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   

Ok I understand that pgs is not use high graphics. Then why is there an option of the same resolution but with different bits (ie, 256 color, 16 bit and 32 bit). Every time I change to 1024x728-32 bit, i exit it and then when I go in again, it's automatically changed to 256 color.

I guess I'm puzzled because I use the Cat card set and I've been noticing that the cards are a little fizzy. I was hoping that the resolution was the solution......maybe not?
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 1:34 pm:   

What color depths you have available depends on your monitor and graphic cards, it is very hardware dependent and varies from machine to machine.

An easy way to change resolutions or color depths is to select Change Resolution from the Options menu on the main screen of PGS. This will list out all of the options Windows says are available on your machine (note, though, that on some machines just because Windows says it is available doesn't mean it is - Windows likes to lie about this).

As for the Cat Card Set, it shouldn't look fuzzy, although there is an artwork problem with the 2 of Spades in the large card size.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 10:45 am:   

>Ok I understand that pgs is not use high graphics.

I think this needs to be clarified. Pretty Good Solitaire absolutely does use true color (24-bit) graphics, and it also works fine with other color depths. It does not use DirectX, but this has no bearing on the color depth supported.

>Every time I change to 1024x728-32 bit, i exit it and then when I go in again, it's automatically changed to 256 color.

On my system, the 256-color modes are listed first, but the actual color depth is not altered unless I select an option and click the 'Change to ...' button. My guess is that you are still in 32-bit mode and everything is working fine.

I disagree with Thomas on one thing, though: I think that the cats should look fuzzy. That's what makes them so cute. :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration