Goodsol Forum » General Discussion » Background color problem « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Linda Wilkinson (Redpenner)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Redpenner

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 12:16 am:   

Just upgraded to version 10. I like to set my default background for all games to a dark teal color; always worked before. I did it after the upgrade, and it says it's changed, but when I open a game it changes to a lime green. One time it changed back spontaneously to teal, but otherwise it reopens as green every time, even if I just change that one game to teal background. Is this a bug? I'm playing Spider Two Suits...
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 12:23 am:   

I should clarify: When I open up the game window, it's teal for a split second, then changes to lime green. If I reset the backgrounds, it stays teal until I close the program, but goes back to lime green next time I open it (or if I use the game-specific desktop shortcut).

I hate lime green!! Please help!!
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 7:01 am:   

I had a problem with setting all backgrounds, till I noticed a checked box for fade background. When I unchecked, it solved my problem. I love lime green, but for a solitaire background, I prefer an unobtrusive grayed blue green, and use a custom color, since none of the given choices suit.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 11:53 am:   

>I like to set my default background for all games to a dark teal color; always worked before. I did it after the upgrade, and it says it's changed, but when I open a game it changes to a lime green.

That sounds like it could be a bug, but I cannot get the backgrounds to misbehave at all. Perhaps if you describe exactly how you are changing the background color, we could reproduce it.

Is your display set to 16-bit or higher (preferrably 24- or 32-bit)? If not, that would certainly affect the appearance of colors within the game.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 684
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 12:49 pm:   

Yes, are you changing the background color from the Options button on the main screen, or from the Options menu within the game?

I cannot see any problems either way on my machine.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 42
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 1:27 pm:   

Actually I'd brought up this (or a very similar) problem ages ago, and the response I got then was that it must be something oddball in my system, since no one else can replicate it.

Every new version or upgrade, as far back as I can remember, has picked up my existing preference-settings just fine with the exception of background (for which I like a solid light blue). Each new version, without fail, that drops back to what I presume is a PGS default (fairly dark wallpaper-like pattern) and I'll have to reset that preference afresh.

This was true both on my former 98SE system, and my relatively new XP-Home one, so I find it hard to believe it's a system-setup problem.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:39 pm:   

I'll try to answer all your points:
- I'm set at 32-bit display; Win 98
- It happens with "fade" box checked or unchecked
- It happens whether I change per game or overall (for all games at once), both of which via the regular "Options/Background/Change to Color" routine (per game) or the "Options/Options/Background" routine (from the main game selection window)
- When the window first opens it's teal, then changes almost immediately to green. After I change it to teal, it stays teal until I close the program, but the problem recurs the next time I open Goodsol as if I'd never made the change
- After making the change, I'm closing Goodsol normally via Game/Close
- When I open the dialog box to change the background color, the "sample background color" showing in the dialog box is already showing as teal, even though the actual game window underneath the dialog box is lime green.

Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:36 pm:   

Also, I found this same problem in a post on one of your other forums.

../10/795.html"#f7f7f7">
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:25 am:   

>Also, I found this same problem in a post on one of your other forums.

Thank you for finding this other report. That one was made a few days before the new version went into beta testing, which suggests that the issue existed prior to the latest version. This knowledge reduces the number of possible causes.

When you installed PGS 10, did you simply install over the old version, or did you uninstall the old version first? Did you change your system recently, or maybe install on a different machine? As a long shot, did you perhaps back up your statistics to CD and later copy them back?

I would probably try switching to a 16-bit graphics mode to see if that changed the problem at all, and just as a matter of course, I would probably uninstall the latest version, then install PGS 9 and verify whether the program exists there. Finally, I would uninstall that and reinstall PGS 10, hoping that solves the problem. :-)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:25 am:   

I installed over the old version. I'll try the uninstall/reinstall suggestion, since I know it wasn't happening in PGS 9 and I haven't changed my system/machine or backed up my stats.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:58 am:   

Okay, I uninstalled, reinstalled, and it was looking good (Spider 2 Suits started out teal and stayed teal, though, so it was getting my previous setting from somewhere.) I added S2S to Favorites...still no problem.

Then I got bold and selected "Add shortcut to Desktop". The background turned lime green and I got an error message: Run-time error '48': File not found pgscard.dll

I clicked OK and the program closed. Do I need to download again? Do I need to delete the Windows/Application Data/Goodsol directory? The uninstall didn't do that, I guess.

BTW, my original problem was happening whether I used the "desktop shortcut" route or entered through the main program -- I tried it both ways.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 4:24 am:   

>Okay, I uninstalled, reinstalled, and it was looking good (Spider 2 Suits started out teal and stayed teal, though, so it was getting my previous setting from somewhere.) I added S2S to Favorites...still no problem.

Yeah! :-)

>Then I got bold and selected "Add shortcut to Desktop". The background turned lime green and I got an error message: Run-time error '48': File not found pgscard.dll

Ironically, I also found this problem yesterday while trying to recreate your issue and one other (although for some reason I had a different error number). It has been reported.

>I clicked OK and the program closed. Do I need to download again? Do I need to delete the Windows/Application Data/Goodsol directory? The uninstall didn't do that, I guess.

No, this is a separate bug, unrelated to the background program. I cannot say when it will be fixed, but for the moment you will not be able to automatically create desktop icons from PGS 10 (though you could create them manually).

Thank you for your patience and help resolving the background color problem.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 686
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:38 am:   

There is a bug in version 10.0.0 in the Create Shortcut on Desktop function. It will be fixed in version 10.0.1.

Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:42 pm:   

An update on this:

Been offline for a week (phone problems) and therefore played a lot of PGS. I discovered that if I go to Options/Card Backs and just click on the one I'm already using, the background goes back to my desired color of teal (at least for that session).

At first I thought I was getting lime green because my preferred card backs were green on top (i.e., Flower) but I tried defaulting to a different CB at startup and the BG still changed to lime green.

So anyway, two mouse clicks and I'm back to teal. I can live with that!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration