Finding saved game(s) easily? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Action Solitaire Questions » Finding saved game(s) easily? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 7:27 pm:   

Actually this question (I think) also applies to PGS, but I first really became aware of it in Action Solitaire, probably because a good game is typically many rounds and can take so long that saving to take a break is frequently appropriate.

Is there any quick and easy way to see what game(s)-in-progress you have saved, so you can resume them? Setting "View" to Details and sorting by last played helps some, but if I've played one or more games after the saved one then there's still some hunting to do.

Maybe some kind of "flag" for saved games in one or more of the View modes could be managed in a future version? Or better yet, a Game/Load menu item, with a drop-down list if there's more than one?

Best,
Mike
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 925
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   

Hi Mike,
That's an interesting suggestion. One issue, at least with PGS, would be telling the difference between a serious saved game (with lots of moves played) and a game that is saved but is only on the first move. Also, there would be speed concerns since it would have to check so many files at the menu all the time. But it is an interesting idea.

Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 11:29 am:   

>Is there any quick and easy way to see what game(s)-in-progress you have saved, so you can resume them?

Not at the moment.

>Setting "View" to Details and sorting by last played helps some, but if I've played one or more games after the saved one then there's still some hunting to do.

FYI, clicking the 'Most Recent' filter button will quickly give just the latest few (default: 5) games played.

>Maybe some kind of "flag" for saved games in one or more of the View modes could be managed in a future version? Or better yet, a Game/Load menu item, with a drop-down list if there's more than one?

It is important to make a distinction between 'autosave' games and those that are explicitly saved.

For autosave games, it would be fairly easy (and useful) to add an indicator to those games that are in progress. In Action Solitaire (uniquely), we could even show the current round number, which would help address the problem of trivial saved games.

For games that are explicitly saved, I am not sure how effective such a system could be. Saved games could be anywhere, and they can be abitrarily relocated outside of the game, all of which complicates the process. (I suspect that few players even know that they can save games anyway. :-))

I have added separate suggestions for each save type to be considered for the next Action Solitaire update.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 9:13 am:   

Thanks, Gregg -- to clarify, I was thinking specifically of the autosave-on-exit situation, which is a lot more frequent with Action Sol because games can be so lengthy. And it sounds like you're at least looking into the possibility of a "flag" for those in a future upgrade.

And I do recognize that "Save as ..." gets trickier because the user can locate them just about anywhere, including on a floppy or CD. Those are probably used mostly as a sort of substitute for the "Snapshot" feature in PGS.

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 190
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 11:17 am:   

>Thanks, Gregg -- to clarify, I was thinking specifically of the autosave-on-exit situation, which is a lot more frequent with Action Sol because games can be so lengthy. And it sounds like you're at least looking into the possibility of a "flag" for those in a future upgrade.

Yes, this suggestion is on the list of items to consider for the next version of Action Solitaire.

Hint: Your timing was quite good. :-)
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 9:48 am:   

One more thought/question -- maybe this should have gone into a new topic, but it relates to saved games. And again, maybe this is something you're already looking into.

How about a "Forfeit game" option in the Game menu and/or toolbar? I think I've seen references to this concept somewhere, but I can't see any way of doing it other than by temporarily disabling auto-save then exiting. And of course you have to remember to turn auto-save back on afterwards.

A one-click "Forfeit" would be very handy sometimes. And you can flip a coin (or better yet, if possible, give the user an option-dialogue) whether or not that game would get included in stats.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:46 am:   

>How about a "Forfeit game" option in the Game menu and/or toolbar?

It is already there, in the form of 'New Game', the second button from the left. Click on that and it starts an entirely new game, forfeiting the old one (prompting first, if the 'Prompt before resigning' game option is checked).

Done. :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration