"Program file corrupt" warning Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Action Solitaire Questions » "Program file corrupt" warning « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 7:41 pm:   

This evening, when starting one of my favorites (specifically, Canfield) I got an error popup "Action Solitaire program file is corrupt" (this is from memory, maybe not quite verbatim). I tried re-downloading and re-installing, with the same result.

No such error message with other games in the program, so I figured I'd try deleting the log. Once in Win Explorer, I discovered a saved game for Canfield -- deleting THAT cleared up the problem nicely, so obviously it was the saved-game file that was corrupt.

Could the error message for this situation be reworded to indicate the specific file involved? It would save a lot of trial and error.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 9:26 am:   

>No such error message with other games in the program, so I figured I'd try deleting the log. Once in Win Explorer, I discovered a saved game for Canfield -- deleting THAT cleared up the problem nicely, so obviously it was the saved-game file that was corrupt.

You overthought the problem. :-)

Simply clicking 'OK' would have let you play Canfield from the start of a game, exactly the same result you achieved, and after the first round, the corrupted file would have been overwritten. (Note that we deliberately do not automatically delete the corrupted autosave file so that it could be recovered to figure out how it got corrupted in the first place.)

>Could the error message for this situation be reworded to indicate the specific file involved?

Yes, it looks like it needs to made clearer that the game will automatically recover from this problem without extraneous measures.

Thanks for letting us know.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration