Submitting ActSol high scores Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Action Solitaire Questions » Submitting ActSol high scores « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   

This may or may not be a bug in ActSol, but I (and maybe others) wouldn't at all mind seeing it improved in the future.

In PGS, if you have a game's stats open and submit high score, that opens the browser and takes you right to the game's high-score page where you can see the result.

But ActSol seems to work completely differently -- nothing to indicate it's successfully been done. I have to open the browser (my default's Firefox 2.0.whatever) and go to the proper page myself to see what's happened.

Could we see the two games set up to work the same way (preferably the way PGS currently does)?

Thanks and best.
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   

>But ActSol seems to work completely differently -- nothing to indicate it's successfully been done. I have to open the browser (my default's Firefox 2.0.whatever) and go to the proper page myself to see what's happened.

Honestly, I am a little confused about this report. When submitting a game score (from the 'Game Over' dialog), the submission button disappears and is replaced with your rank on both the 'overall' and 'recent' charts. Also, directly above that is a button labelled 'View High Scores' which takes you directly to the correct results page. Submitting from the 'High Scores' dialog inserts both ranks, for all completed games, right into the list.

Since Action Solitaire shows the results right in the game itself (just verified in AS 1.2), and Pretty Good Solitaire only provides feedback via browser, I think that we are moving toward the former method. Could you please explain what you would have us do differently?

Clearly, I do not think this is a bug (yet). :-)
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:03 am:   

OK, thanks. It does work if I use the High Scores window (i.e., for all games at once), which I hadn't tried before, and I agree that having the game interact directly with your server(s) is a lot neater than having to go through the browser.

One other suggested change, then. I've become used, over the years, to submitting a game's high score from that individual game's Stats window. Could we see the "overall" and "recent" rankings for a game shown in its own stats, not just in the high score window?

Or am I missing something there too, possibly involving column adjustments?
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:11 am:   

(Addition to the above) You raised one other possibility which I almost missed, posting the score from the game-over dialogue. I'm on dialup and normally don't connect unless I expect to be active online. I'll have to check whether that dialogue lets me switch to another window for connecting. As you must know, some dialogues zealously hang onto focus while others are more permissive.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 278
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:39 am:   

>One other suggested change, then. I've become used, over the years, to submitting a game's high score from that individual game's Stats window. Could we see the "overall" and "recent" rankings for a game shown in its own stats, not just in the high score window?

The 'Statistics' dialog works almost exactly like the 'Game Over' dialog, except that it submits the 1, 2, or 3 highest scores, rather than the game just completed (which can be submitted even if the score is negative :-)). If you press the 'Submit Highest Score' button, it will disappear and display the ranks in its place.

As far as displaying the rank as part of the statistics, that cannot be accurately done without submitting first. The nature of ranks is that they are dynamic, depending on the submission of other scores (by other players); you could be #1 right now, but a second later, somebody else could take the top spot. The only way to find out the current rank is by asking the server, which we do not do without permission, hence a button to submit the scores and retrieve your rank.

>I'll have to check whether that dialogue lets me switch to another window for connecting.

Yes, it definitely should. That dialog is "application modal", which means that you cannot use the rest of the game while the dialog is displayed, but you can switch to any another application. (In fact, I am typing this while that dialog is displayed in Action Solitaire. :-))

I believe that all of the necessary online initialization is done after that point, so it should work if you connect just prior to pressing 'Submit High Score Data'.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 9:52 am:   

Thanks, Gregg. OK, either I'm doing something wrong, or maybe there actually is a bug as I'd originally suggested. And of course it might be one of those miserable compatibility things that's unique to my system and therefore virtually impossible to replicate.

If I understand you correctly, ranking (as of the moment) should show when submitting highest score from the individual game's stats window. But as I'd originally commented, I'm not getting that (or any indication that it's even been done), and have to go to the high-scores page via my browser to confirm it's been done and to see the ranking.

The obvious starting point would probably be firewall permissions (I use Comodo Pro, free version). I note that the permission for ActSol was for outbound (all ports), but I'll try changing that to in/out since that sounds like what I'd want in this case.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   

A quick update: I've now tried submitting Top 3 scores (for Rapunzel) after making that firewall permissions change, and the ratings did show up properly in that window after doing so.

So obviously ActSol does need both in and out access permission, which makes sense, in case anyone else runs into this same problem.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 279
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   

>A quick update: I've now tried submitting Top 3 scores (for Rapunzel) after making that firewall permissions change, and the ratings did show up properly in that window after doing so.

Excellent. I am glad that you were able to get it working. (I probably would have blamed the firewall, too. :-))

>So obviously ActSol does need both in and out access permission, which makes sense, in case anyone else runs into this same problem.

Thank you very much for reporting the fix here for the record.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:59 am:   

Hi again, Gregg. This one's totally unrelated to the last, but I thought I'd throw it in while I've got you "on the phone", so to speak.

When I've got the Take Score button active (which I think is default anyway), is there (or can you add) any one-click way to dock it to the bottom of the screen, rather than manually move it? Better yet, have it remember its size and position, ideally as a global (probably per-player) setting?

Any time I start a game, or even re-open a saved one, the button is back in what I assume is default position, partially overlaying the lowest cards. Obviously when I'm playing quickly I don't want to accidentally click on it rather than on a card, or vice-versa, so I move it as low as I can.

This is somewhat similar to that column-width thing I'd brought up a while back. But I don't think it's related, I'm fairly sure my wife hasn't played ActSol in ages so there's been no change of player as in the other case.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:56 am:   

>This one's totally unrelated to the last, but I thought I'd throw it in while I've got you "on the phone", so to speak.

We are always "on the phone" when it comes to questions posted here on the forum. :-)

>Better yet, have [the Take Score button] remember its size and position, ideally as a global (probably per-player) setting?

The button position (as well as whether or not it is visible) is already remembered per game (and per player). If you reposition the button, it should come back up in that position the next time you start the (same) game.

I just verified that this works correctly here. I also note that when playing a game for the first time, the button defaults to its position from the last game.

>Obviously when I'm playing quickly I don't want to accidentally click on it rather than on a card, or vice-versa, so I move it as low as I can.

Another solution (for experienced players) is to close the Take Score button completely and simply use the space bar instead. There is no chance of accidentally clicking a button that is not there. :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration