My hard-drive crashed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Download and Installation Problems » My hard-drive crashed « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Diane Daviknes
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 82.164.169.83
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 7:47 am:   

The hard-drive on my computer crashed, and I've lost everything. How do I reinstall PGS? Do I have to pay again? How do I get hold of my registration code?

(Message approved by admin)
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 9:16 am:   

Hi Diane, sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Obviously you'll need to download and install a fresh copy. As for the registration code, which in effect is a built-in "receipt" for payment, I'm sure there must be a lost-code-lookup utility somewhere on the site, or perhaps Thomas can assist you directly with this.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   

You can download again from http://www.goodsol.com/download.html

You can request that your code be sent to you again from http://www.goodsol.com/regusers.html

Note that we have just returned from a week in Colorado and we have a large backlog to work through, so response time will be slower than usual.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   

Thomas, my CPU is acting up, and I'm afraid it might crash. I don't have a CD to back PGS up yet. If my computer crashes, after I reinstall PGS on a new computer, will my game statistics be lost and I would have to start all over again?
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 421
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 2:48 pm:   

>Thomas, my CPU is acting up, and I'm afraid it might crash. I don't have a CD to back PGS up yet. If my computer crashes, after I reinstall PGS on a new computer, will my game statistics be lost and I would have to start all over again?

[I am not Thomas, but...] Yes, your game statistics would be lost if your computer crashes unless you have them backed up. If you restore your data from a good backup, you can reinstall PGS, enter your registration code, and pick up where you left off.

It would be a good idea to backup your whole system, but the specific locations for data from PGS (and other Goodsol games) are (by default):

On XP (and Win2K):
\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Goodsol

On Vista and Win7:
\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Goodsol

Backup every file and subfolder in this main ('Goodsol') folder, and you should have everything you need to restore your PGS statistics and saved games.

If you are not sure what to do with the above information, I strongly urge you to find somebody who can help you backup your system and establish a system for doing so regularly.

I hope this helps.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   

Kathy, Gregg is correct. However, you said above that you don't have a CD. Are you talking about just a disc or a CD drive you can use to back stuff up? Without the latter you have a problem. If that is the case I'd suggest you buy a memory stick that you can plug into a USB port on your PC. You can transfer all the important stuff into it and use it for restore purposes when you get a new hard-drive installed. have a look at this....
http://www.samsungmemory.eu/uk/index.html?cid=uk_g oogle_google_search_search_mp3_0912

Hope this helps.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   

Will the online file saver sites also work?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 6:02 am:   

My only problem right now with backing up is no money to buy RW disks. I have a DVD/CD drive. Unfortunately, I lost my original XP disk or I could back up from there when I get the disks. Just have to hope the old computer holds on until I'm solvent again.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 10:35 am:   

>Will the online file saver sites also work?

Honestly, that is a little outside my range of experience, but as long as all of the files are backed up and (later) restored correctly, everything should work fine. (I am just not sure of the details on how the backup/restore process works on online sites.)

Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 10:39 am:   

>Just have to hope the old computer holds on until I'm solvent again.

Although it does not help for the rest of the system, you could zip the PGS files and send that (zip) file to a friend via email, just in case something goes wrong in the meantime.

[Sits crossing fingers for Kathy. :-)]

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration