Double Kingsley

edited May 2012 in Is It Winnable?
How about 308134721
BTW, Richard, since you know everything (or so you keep telling us!), is there a game in PGS that is like Double Kingsley but that gives you a redeal?

Best Answers

• edited August 2012 Member, Beta Tester Answer ✓
    514 is winnable Ken.
    Opinions please on #517. 58 scored. 10 in waste but 4 cards trapped under one card in tableau.
    EDIT...............Got it!
    EDIT #2........57 for #518........ EDIT 70 scored, 9 in waste,all uncovered!
  • Member, Beta Tester Answer ✓
    Try this Ken.
    Something VERY peculiar has just happened. I was playing #518 when I stopped to create a partial for you. I went back to DK and tried to open the position I had "saved". Now all it does is open the partial I posted for you. It says Double Kingsley_518_70. I didn't type in the game number, just the score! I wondered if I may have made a mistake and had perhaps been playing 514 again in error, but no. I recognize the opening moves for #518. It WAS the game I was playing and where I'd scored 70. Don't know what is going on!
    Didn't Ken report a similar problem?
    I believe so Mike. I was about to say that all we need now is for Markus to have the same experience and....... wait for it........ it could be our Jerry-hat-trick. :)

(for Markus..... play on words.....geriatric).
    Luckily. That is none of us. Yet.
    Where did you get Mike's photo? :)
    See above!

Answers

• Member, Beta Tester
    Games with tableaux that build upwards tend to annoy me. I steer clear of them because I am constantly trying to make "normal" moves that are illegal. Similarly I am sure I overlook legal moves because I think they are illegal. To me they are the vegetarian options in the huge PGS menu. Just plain unnatural. :) Now if you'd asked about Double Burger!
    I've not managed to win your game. Perhaps it's not compatible with "Saving Private Ryan". I'll give it another go afterwards.
    BTW, far from knowing everything, I often have to ask Liz what day it is. I'm also getting very forgetful. Anyway Dave, I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It doesn't look winnable to me Ken.
    I don't know of a similar game with a redeal. "Ken's Game"??? Thomas!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Don't fret, Richard. My own mother called me Eric twice within the last hour.
  • edited May 2012 Member, Beta Tester
    Maybe it's you who's got it wrong Eric. Have you considered that?

I can score 38 or so with 308134721. I can't tan it, but surely you Eric Cantana game like this.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Well, that's 10 more than I got. (You can call me anything, Just don't call me late for dinner...)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I don't recall scoring anything better than 44 for it Ken. See if you can unpick it a little and make improvements. Still unwinnable in my opinion as too many cards were put into the waste earlier.
    pgs
    pgs
    Double Kingsley_308134721_44.pgs
    Richard, if I can get 60 on 784854336, I'm sure you can bring it home!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It certainly looks more promising that your previous number Ken. Got 41 with my first attempt, but I invariably overlook things in this topsy turvy format. Will try again.
    That's an excellent score Ken. I've tried undoing and redoing from my 41 position and have pushed it up to 49. Looks like I'll have to start from scratch again.
    It's too darned hot to be playing PGS anyway. It's 26°C in the house today. May not sound much to you guys buy it's a killer for us.

Scoring 58 now.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Of course I didn't save my 60. Another tweak for when they give me my own solitaire would be that once all the aces are out would be the ability to put any card to the one remaining foundation.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Yes Ken, that would be an interesting variation. I was going to ask you for your part solve but it looks like I'll have to give you mine instead. See if you can spot anything I've overlooked.
    pgs
    pgs
    Double Kingsley_784854336_58.pgs
  • edited July 2012 Member, Beta Tester
    Have a look at 1092351360 Ken. I got 69 with it. Only 14 left in the stock and all cards uncovered in the tableau.
    UPDATE....20 minutes later.................It's winnable!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    On my first run through, I got 66 with it. Only 13 left in stock and all cards uncovered in the tableau. Give me 20 minutes.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    American minutes or standard minutes? :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Scottish minutes: the kind that seem like hours because of the perpetual rain. I can get the same score with only 9 in the waste but the 7H seems to be a problem.
    I prefer Scottish Decimal Gallons. 1=100pints. :)

You did very well getting to where you are Ken. I saw a card I wanted one beneath the top card in the waste. I also had the top card in the waste exposed on a foundation, so it was a case of undoing until I got rid of it.
    Here is my solution if you want it. I think I'll try and find another winner. There can't be that many of them around.
    pgs
    pgs
    Double Kingsley_1092351360_Winner.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Out of the first 10 games, my best score is 46 for #9
    47 for #3. Will let you know re #9.
    EDIT.......Only 36 so far with #9. The upside-down format results in me missing lots of moves and having to undo to correct my mistakes. I'm beginning to like the game though. Sooner or later we'll find another winner.
    If you have #9 saved at 46 Ken, I'd appreciate a look. I am obviously overlooking something quite productive.
    EDIT..........I'm giving up at 44. My brain is frazzled.
    EDIT#2.......53 for #2
    pgs
    pgs
    Double Kingsley_9_44.pgs
    Try #14. It has definite possibilities!! I can get it to 59.
    Getting nowhere even close Ken. Miserable, paltry little scores so far. I can see the potential but haven't found the correct permutation of moves early in the game.

53 now. Can't get all the cards uncovered at the same time although I have had every column cleared over various attempts. Need to introduce another red seven.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Try this (so I can go back to bed!)
    pgs
    pgs
    Double Kingsley_14.pgs
    Thanks.
    Undoing helped me to clear the tableau for the first time. It needs some work but it should be winnable. The 2nd top card in the waste is the JH. It would make a big difference to the tableau.
    pgs
    pgs
    Double Kingsley_14_clearedBUT.pgs
    The problem with #14 as I see it is that it is essential to shift both of the red threes in columns 6 and 7. At present we always have one too many in the tableau. We either have to lose one red three or introduce another black two. Red aces to put that one onto are never a problem.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Unfortunately, I think you're right.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I'm reluctant to give up on this one but it's becoming tedious. Maybe another half hour or so.
    Try #16. I can get 51 with no cards to be uncovered and only 9 in the waste.

EDIT: GOT IT!!!!!!!!!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    You have been awarded a GOLD medal. Very well done!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Did you try it? I've got it saved if you're interested.
    No I didn't Ken. I'd rather spend my time looking for others. Thanks anyway.
    Wiggins again!!!

57 with #18. Just 9 in the waste and 1 card covered in the tableau. I need a JS to turn this into a winner I think.
    Incidentally if the empty stock pile would accept any card (as suggested in the New Games thread) it would be a certain winner.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Not only that but Wiggins is such a sportsman. I'm sure you heard about him slowing down the peloton when Cadel Evans got a flat tire because of some a-hole throwing tacks on the course. BTW, good show with #18. I have 26 recorded as a score.