Famous Fifty

edited April 2013 in Is It Winnable?
Richard, are you too busy moving to try #5? My max score so far is 69.

Comments

• edited April 2013 Member, Beta Tester
    I've only been home for half an hour or so Ken. We got caught up in a sandstorm would you believe? They'd to get snow ploughs out to clear the sand and soil. Howling gales for three days. Winds up to 90 miles per hour. Had to take a great detour into Fife as the bridges were both closed.
    Attaching a solution for #5. Good game.
    pgs
    pgs
    Famous Fifty_5_Ken.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Thanks!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    5,8,23,29 and 50 are all winnable Ken. Another seven with scores of 49-61. Should be a winner or two among them.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    My mouse must be misbehaving. I've skipped some games. Add #4 to the winnables.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, I don't know if you started from the beginning but #3 is winnable also.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I thought I had Ken, but there are some holes in the stats. I scored 57 with #3 though. Well played. It's an interesting game. Sometimes I get the impression I'm doing well and the next thing I know the stock has run out. Keeping the waste low can be very difficult. Going to replay #6 now. Let me know how you fare.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    #3 was NOT easy. It took me 22 minutes to solve it and it took Gregg (our idol!) 25 minutes to solve it!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    He was probably working on his thesis at the time though. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    RE:#6, You must see something I don't (no surprise) because my best score is 20. I can' t even get a 2C out.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    My best score is 44 I think Ken. Attaching a saved game at that position. Like you I cannot get a 2C into play. I'd put money on it being unwinnable.
    I have a score of 41 recorded for #7. About to play it again.
    pgs
    pgs
    Famous Fifty_6_4Sout.pgs
  • edited April 2013 Member, Beta Tester
    Can squeeze 50 out of #7.
  • edited May 2013 Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, what's your best score for #14? I can get 53 so far.

EDIT: Got it! The key is to get the 7H out first then follow that up with the 2D.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Well done Ken. I'd played it once and scored 49, or rather recorded 49. I may have had it a bit higher before undoing and redoing stuff. There will be others that I've missed, that's for sure.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I was pleased with this one.
    FF.JPG
    597 x 69 - 21K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    As well you should be! My best score was 14. I'll try again.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, how did you get on with #15? I got 60 on my first try.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I really don't understand how you guys play this game and win. It is beyond me.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Re #15 Played it once and scored 60. I'll work on it some more today Ken.
    It's much the same as other games we play Mike. It's just a case of examining the tableau at the end and trying to figure out if you could improve your score by introducing some missing card, or figuring out what columns you should have been more diligent in emptying. If you can win TI you can certainly play and win this.
    K.JPG
    257 x 33 - 12K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Hear Hear!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I've given up on #15 Ken. It's not possible to get the 2nd 3C into the tableau early, whilst still having the 4C available for going onto the foundations. Accepting the 2nd 3C just blocks the other clubs. I can get 60 time and again but not a point more.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Agreed!
    Here is another very satisfying score Ken. It totally eclipsed my previous ones. I doubt if anything higher is possible. How long do you reckon it took me to try refusing the 2D right at the start?
    pgs
    pgs
    Famous Fifty_11_45.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    #17 may also be winnable. I've got it up to 67 so far.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I have it recorded at 60 and 61 Ken. You may be right about it being winnable. It is almost ten to one though. Maybe tomorrow.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Just scored 67. See if you can put it to bed whilst I head for mine.
    pgs
    pgs
    Famous Fifty_17_67.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    69 with a waste of 13
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The ironic thing about this game is I usually play in GSE (so that I can play in climb mode) but TPTB expired this version of the beta. In the beta version you can move cards back from the foundation and if this was possible in PGS, I think this game would be winnable. But as it stands now with the 3S being the very first discard, I'm not too sure this game is winnable.
    It's possible to ruin quite a few PGS games by enabling worrying back. I've never understood why difficult games should be dumbed down in this manner. You appreciate the amount of work we put into winning some hands and the ingenious tactics we use. Allowing worrying back would make a lot of this obsolete.
    I'll try #17 again.
    EDIT...........Got it.
    pgs
    pgs
    Famous Fifty_17_won.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    WOW!