Green Arrow (reshuffle) button question

edited November 2014 in General
I have a question about the use of the green arrow (reshuffle) button in games like La Belle Lucie, Linus, Trefoil, Super Flower Garden, Preserverance, Indefagitable, Royal Family, etc...

After making the possible moves and there isn't any more to make, you would click the green arrow and they get reshuffled to give new possible moves.

When using a real deck of cards to play some of those games, you reshuffle the cards? Is there a tutorial video to show how its done like in some of those games?

Answers

• Member, Beta Tester
    "How would you reshuffle the cards?" Just delete the first two words in your question and you'll have your answer.
  • edited November 2014 Member, Beta Tester
    Oh, so I would just gather them all up as it is (or perhaps by pile) and then shuffle. Shuffle for a few seconds or count to 3 before dealing out the new piles?

In Peserverance, on the wikipedia page...it says that you would pick up the 12th pile and put it over the 11th pile, and so on, then pick them all up, thn says without reshuffling, deal out the cards on the layout.
    What baffles me is why you'd want to buy sortware to play cards on your PC and then want to play them with a pack of cards. Basically if you are playing with the latter you can do whatever you want. Just do what makes YOU happy.
    In the Rules sections for the games you mention it simply says " All the remaining cards in the tableau will be picked up and redealt". To me that means that there is no specific way in which this should be done.
  • Administrator, Beta Tester
    Actually it depends on the game. Generally unless it states otherwise, a redeal just picks up the cards, usually from left to right, first the leftmost pile, then the next, etc. Then you just deal them out again.

In some games there is an explicit reshuffle (at random), such as La Belle Lucie. This is generally indicated in the help file. Some games have unique shuffles, which again are indicated or described in the help file.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    That begs the question, "Where are the help files"?
    Still none the wiser.
    Are "the help files" you referred to what we generally call "The Rules"?
    In the rules for La Belle Lucie, the only reference to the reshuffle states, "All the cards in the fans are reshuffled" There is no "explicit reshuffle" mentioned for La Belle Lucie. This would imply that my statement regarding this was 100% correct. I said........
    "In the Rules sections for the games you mention it simply says " All the remaining cards in the tableau will be picked up and redealt". To me that means that there is no specific way in which this should be done".
    In actual fact the word "reshuffled" would be more accurately replaced with "re-dealt".
  • edited December 2014 Member, Beta Tester
    "That begs the question, "Where are the help files"?"

That question was not a rhetorical one.

"Are "the help files" you referred to what we generally call "The Rules"?"
    Another non-rhetorical unanswered question.
  • Member, Moderator, Beta Tester
    >That begs the question, "Where are the help files"?

On the Windows version of Pretty Good Solitaire, they are accessible in a variety of ways:

- [F1] key
    - 'Help | General Help' from the menu
    - 'Help' toolbar button -> 'Read the Help File'
    - 'Pretty Good Solitaire Help' icon from the Start menu

and for specific game rules:
    - 'Rules' button from the game menu

or from within the individual game:
    - [F1] key
    - 'Help | How to Play' from the menu
    - 'Rules' toolbar button

>Are "the help files" you referred to what we generally call "The Rules"?

Yes. :)

Technical note: The Windows version uses a single compiled file (goodsol.chm), while the Mac version uses separate files within the application bundle, but that distinction is irrelevant to the end user.

Gregg :(|)
  • edited February 2015 Member
    Another reason the rule regarding whether cards are picked up and randomly reshuffled and then redealt, vs picked up in a specific order and re-dealt, is the affect on determining whether a specific game number is winnable and its corresponding solution for others to use. To me, this adds a lot of interest to these games types. This leads me to a request :) I would like to see this non-random redeal variant added to "Montana" and/or "Gaps". Currently the cards are randomly redealt, but I have played variations where the cards not in sequence are picked up from left to right, top to bottom, and then redealt (gaps are always left following the last card in suit/sequence). For what it's worth, Wikipedia defines the difference between the games Gaps and Montana as "In Montana and Spaces, the cards are then shuffled; in Gaps, they are not." There are also rule variations for whether the gaps themselves are randomly distributed. I prefer removing randomization from both.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Not sure if I understand the problem. If you play any game with a green arrow reshuffle, the cards that are dealt out will be exactly the same cards as any other player will have dealt out. Different players do not get different cards. That makes it possible for us all to try a game number that another player is struggling with. There are no random cards. Everybody will get the same ones as you.
  • Thank you! I did not know that. I assumed shuffle and non-shuffle in the prior discussion meant random and non-random redeals. This helps a lot.