Forty Thieves

edited June 2011 in Is It Winnable?
Is #1124001152 winnable? My best score is 60.

Comments

• Member, Beta Tester
    Hi Ken,
    Yes, this game is winnable.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    This is as much an experiment as anything Ken.
    There are probably other ways to win your game. Here is how I did it.
    Nope! Apparently not. "Uploaded file type is not allowed". We are talking about a .pgs.
    BEER,beer,beer,beer,beer.
  • Administrator, Beta Tester
    Unfortunately there is no way for me to set the file types that are allowed. What you may have to do is put a .txt at the end of the file, making it think it is a text file (which it actually is). I'm attaching a test file to this message to see if it works.
    txt
    txt
    testforumupload.txt
    143B
  • edited June 2011 Member, Beta Tester
    Responding to you first Ken. Trying your suggestion of uploading a screenshot.
    I recall wanting to introduce the 2nd JD into the tableau. Position 22 23 13
    222313.JPG
    939 x 529 - 134K
    222313.JPG
    939 x 529 - 134K
    Scratch that, I found where the file types can be set - the file types .pgs and .goodsol should now be allowed. I'm testing that by uploading the same test file as before, renamed as a .pgs file (note this is not an actual saved game file, just a test).
    txt
    txt
    testforumupload.pgs.txt
    143B
    The result as you can see is not what we expected.
    Firstly I uploaded the file. It appeared to work. Then it said that no file was chosen. I repeated the exercise and looked at it in draft. I got the above. Clicking on either of them also fails. BTW, the logo whatsitsname when I uploaded the screenshots was one of those ones you get when something is missing.
    Another thing, I didn't hit "Post comment" but it still posted it.

WOW!!!!!!!
    I CAN NOW ALTER A PREVIOUS POST. I CAN REWRITE HISTORY.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Trying a .pgs for you now Ken...... as a partial.
    Failure. File not allowed.
    Changing the file extension now.
    Failure. Same reason. .pgs was reinserted after I had renamed it to .txt.
    Richard, close your window and completely reload the forum from the main page to refresh the changes.

I'm going to do a test with an actual .goodsol saved file. Files seem to be uploading ok, but there is difficulty downloading.
    goodsol
    goodsol
    acesandkings_27.goodsol
    912B
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Will do Thomas.
    Thomas,
    Still getting the same upload error message. I went back to the old forum and clicked the link from there. I signed in again. I had also previously cleared my "history" to see if that would help.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Please see above..........
    "WOW!!!!!!!
    I CAN NOW ALTER A PREVIOUS POST. I CAN REWRITE HISTORY".
  • Member, Moderator, Beta Tester
    >I found where the file types can be set - the file types .pgs and .goodsol should now be allowed.

Let me respectfully request that '.pgmj' (Pretty Good MahJongg) files also be allowed.

Also, I note that, although I can thumbnails of the uploaded images (above), clicking on them results in a 'Page Not Found' error.

Alas, no pretty smilies. :-)
    I've added .pgmj and .actsol (before you ask :) ) to the allowed file types.

Also, enabled the emoticon plug-in. :) :)

Apparently they are releasing a new version of the forum software on Tuesday. I'm hoping that takes care of a few issues.

Still trying to figure out why you can't download the file attachments.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Let's see.
    pgs
    pgs
    Forty Thieves_1124001152_Retry.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Nope, still not working!

• Member, Beta Tester
    My turn to try.
    untitled.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 178K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Meant to try something other than a screenshot. But you still can't enlarge it.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Anyone get Ken Blackwell's #144 yet? I got to score of 69, so must be close.

Larry
    Hi Larry,
    I abandoned my cartography briefly to have a go at #144. I can get into the low 60's. For me it is either a 9C or a 7D that looks like converting this to a winner. If you want to email me your partial I'll have a tinker with it. I'd better go and save my current high score before I forget. I'll send it to you and see if it inspires you .
    The list of places in Scotland we want to visit is currently well over 500! My brain is more addled than usual trying to get map references etc for them all. I should have started my Scottish exploration a few years ago. God alone knows how we will ever get around to Ireland and Wales.
    I just had to go back to it Larry.
    I want to see what happens with uploaded solutions so here goes.
    pgs
    pgs
    Forty Thieves_144_Won.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I actually thought it was going to work. Got this right at the last minute.
    Pah.JPG
    370 x 166 - 20K
  • Member, Moderator, Beta Tester
    >I actually thought it was going to work. Got this right at the last minute.

I right-clicked on the above file, saved it on my local machine, opened Pretty Good Solitaire, started Forty Thieves, and opened the file from there without any problem. (Deal #144, Score: 77)

Honestly, I do not know all of the reason for the difference, but for '.goodsol' files (from PGSME, GS101, MPS, and FCP) all I have to do on my system is left-click the attachment, select the 'Open with' radio button, and press 'OK'. The saved game is automatically opened by the default program (Goodsol Solitaire 101, in my case). B-)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Another problem with "edit".
    code 401.JPG
    433 x 142 - 24K
    Your input was very helpful Gregg. I got it to work slightly differently.
    Right click on the solution. Select "copy link address" followed by the "open" button within Forty Thieves.
    The attachment may help you. Look at the difference between the left click followed by the right click links.
    Right.JPG
    791 x 90 - 29K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The solution download is working for me too.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Did you notice that your screenshot now appears properly now too Mike?
    The little bugs are getting squished.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I did notice that. BTW. Did you get my email? What are the plans for the next trip?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Yes Mike. I'll reply tonight.......probably......you know what I'm like.
    Next trip is likely to be a ride on the Jacobite steam train from Fort William crossing the Glenfinnan Viaduct to Mallaig. I also came across a charter boat trip on Loch Lomond. There are about 30 islands on the loch, four of which have ruined castles on them. It just depends how much they want for the trip.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    How about #934462464? My best score is 59.

31 with my 1st run through. 54 with my 2nd. I may have spotted an area where a big improvement is possible. Watch this space.
    I was correct about the suspect card. Clues if you want to try them first are......
    refuse the 4S and do not take the first 9H.
    pgs
    pgs
    Forty Thieves_934462464_won.pgs