San Juan Hill

Richard, Can you beat a score of 61 for #1?

Comments

• edited July 2015 Member, Beta Tester
    57 at the second attempt Ken. Will persevere.
    Have now matched your 61 Ken, See if my partial helps you at all. I'll keep trying
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Oops. You can't add an attachment when you edit.
    pgs
    pgs
    San Juan Hill_1_PB.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Sorry Ken. I'm now convinced that 61 is the maximum possible with #1.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Thanks for trying!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I had some fun with it anyway Ken.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Can I get in here and agree, best I could get was 61 also, too many spades in the draw pile at the beginning
    You can ALWAYS agree with me, Marty, no need to ask!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Can you guys do better than 54 on #20?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Marginally Ken. 56 so far. Cannot see how it could possibly be winnable but 56 may not be the highest score.
    pgs
    pgs
    San Juan Hill_21_56.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The ironic part about San Juan Hill is it is obviously supposed to be easier than 40 Thieves since it already has all the Aces on the foundation. But in my (admittedly) small sample, the win ratios are the same. In the first 20 games, I've won exactly half of them; the same ratio as the first 20 games in 40 Thieves.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    #20 is winnable. I had us at 11 winners for the first Forty Thieves (# 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 13 through 18).
    San Juan Hill I have added # 3, 11, 12, 19, and 20 for 16 winners out of the first 20.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    WOW! Lars you are THE MAN! I did win #3 and #11. I'll have to work harder on the other ones. (Btw, for 40 Thieves, I was working off of an old list: #17 must have been a late addition)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I've just noticed that it was #21 I was playing. Attempting to win #20 now.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Yes #20 is winnable as Lars said. Nice to see you've resurfaced Larry.
    pgs
    pgs
    San Juan Hill_20.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    SJH_10 is also winnable.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I will give # 10 another few attempts before asking for your solution Richard.
    # 30 was the first FT winner that I have not solved in SJH.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Got # 10
    BTW Ken, Richard is the MAN, the rest of us are his faithful
    Sherpa porters.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Ha! If only! Thanks anyway Larry.
    I tried #9 and #30 without success. Have yet to convince myself that they are definite losers. I'm not playing much PGS these days. When I'm through labouring with the garden makeover I'm invariably too tired to bother. Apart from that, Ken has got me hooked on Black Mirror.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I just looked for BLACK MIRROR and it is not in my list of ALL GAMES
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It's not a game. It's a British TV show.

• Member, Beta Tester
    Preliminary estimate for SJH winning rate is about 80%.
    Not all FT winners are SJH winners, unlike Forty Bandits.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Oh ok, thanks Ken
    "Not all FT winners are SJH winners" .......... That puzzles me. Surely they should be if the card order of the stock is identical with the exception of the aces. Do you have an example of this Larry?
    Don't bother Larry. I've figured it out. The tableaux are totally different because any aces in a FT tableau are replaced by the next card in the stock in a San Juan deal. Interesting. in effect it is a completely different game.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I'd be interested to here how you guys get on with #24. I can't see how it can be won.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    No offense, Richard, but are you sure you're playing the right #? I didn't have any trouble winning that one but I am having trouble with #25.
    Rats. I did the same with #20 when you asked. My eyes are getting worse. New glasses never seem to help. I have a very rude score for #25. :)
    Got it now. A hard won game.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Posting a partial that may surprise you. It took me a long time to figure out that this was probably essential to winning it. I filled the empty column with the 9H from the tableau!
    pgs
    pgs
    San Juan Hill_25_part.pgs
    885B
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I'll need some more help than that. I can't get it! (I did improve my max score to 67, though)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It was only intended as a decent hint to get you on the right road Ken. I replayed it from there myself and didn't win. I was waiting to see how Larry got on with it first. It would have been embarrassing to be told he'd won it easily. I found it VERY difficult.
    Two partials this time. Very very close together. I think you'd probably overlook an essential play if you played on from only the first one. To win it initially I must have identified the spades as the main stumbling block. Or was it the hearts? Or was it both? I spent a lot of time undoing and redoing to try and introduce various cards.
    pgs
    pgs
    San Juan Hill_25_P2.pgs
    pgs
    pgs
    San Juan Hill_25-P2b.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The first 50 I did manage the theorized 80% win rate:
    losers were # 1, 5, 9, 21, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 50.
    (# 30, 38, and 50 were FT winners).