Richard's favorite

Comments

• Member, Beta Tester
    No emails have be returned as undeliverable. This week has been unbelievable. Except for the good report Mikey got at the doctors yesterday. Still no word on my regular computer. I think it really took a hit.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    What happened to it exactly Mike? What anti-virus protection were you using?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    ZoneAlarm Pro. I had closed all programs and had walked away from the computer for about an hour. When I came back there were all sorts of little windows open. I didn't pay much attention and started losing them all. The last window said something about a Trojan and it had been quarantined by ZoneAlarm. I was astonished to find a number of programs had disappeared and even the restore console had been wiped out. So I tried to reinstall the Operating system. Well that screwed things up even more. I hit a wall saying there was some problem with a certain file and new hardware and basically I could get nowhere so I took the CPU to Best Buy and they have it now. I will probably end up buying a new hard drive and a new video card. Although the card I have is only three months old. And to top it all off I broke the wireless card antenna off of this computer. Oh and there is more. But enough bad news for now.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Sounds like a load of laughs Mike. I hope you can remember exactly which sites you'd been on prior to getting the trojan. Could it have come in via an email? I'm wasn't particularly keen on Symantic's Norton anti virus program but since I sent them some extra special feedback they have improved it quite a bit. It is nothing like as invasive as it used to be. It now asks me if it's convenient for it to do things. It now puts up little pop-ups telling me what it's buzy with. Despite it's irritations I can honestly say that it's NEVER screwed up and that I have never had an virus problem.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I have no idea of how it got on there. I have run extra virus checks in addition to the scheduled ones that ZoneAlarm was suppose to do. So it will remain a mystery. Today. Right after I sent an email to you from the laptop I screwed up Internet Explorer somehow. It comes on and then has to shut down for some reason. I give up.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, still no emails received from you. I had the same Internet Explorer error messages some time back. You may recall that I deleted Outlook Express by accident and it's impossible to get back. I got round it by installing Google Chrome as my browser and getting a free Hotmail email account. Maybe you should just be patient and wait until your other PC is returned. It's dreadful to see how addicted we have become to these machines, and how lost we become when they act up. I know how you feel.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Without the computer and the internet I would never have been able to talk to all the great people here. I have learned a lot from all of you. But believe me computers can be instruments of the devil sometimes. And he gets help from all those people who want to cause problems by hacking and just for fun seeing how they can disrupt things with viruses. I think you and I agree they should be hung by their thumbs forever. Hopefully you received my last email. We shall see.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Sorry Mike. Still no emails.
    Governments are finally getting to grips with some of the sick perverts who create viruses and hack into other people's computers. Apparently these brain dead morons have their own websites where the meet up and discuss what they want to vandalize next. This may cheer you up.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=prison+hackers
    As for hanging them up by the thumbs...... I've never heard them called that before.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    This may interest you Mike.
    One of the most insidious types of Trojan horse is a program that claims to rid a computer of malware, but instead installs spyware or other malware onto the computer. This kind of software is known as rogue security software.
    A recent innovation in Trojan horse code takes advantage of a security flaw in older versions of Internet Explorer and Google Chrome to use the host computer as an anonymizer proxy to effectively hide internet usage. The hacker is able to view internet sites while the tracking cookies, internet history, and any IP logging are maintained on the host computer. The host computer may or may not show the internet history of the sites viewed using the computer as a proxy. The first generation of anonymizer Trojan horses tended to leave their tracks in the page view histories of the host computer. Newer generations of the Trojan horse tend to "cover" their tracks more efficiently. Several versions of Slavebot have been widely circulated in the US and Europe and are the most widely distributed examples of this type of Trojan horse.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, when you get your computer problems solved, I recommend Norton Security Suite. I didn't like it that much when I first started using it, but (knock on wood), I haven't had a virus problem yet. Of course, I get it for free from my ISP Comcast. Since Norton is so widely known, I think if people started having problems with it, they would fix it right away. Also, have you thought about buying a new computer? They are very inexpensive now especially if you don't have to buy a new monitor, and I've read there's an easy way to copy the files you absolutely feel you need very easily. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    As long as we're throwing suggestions out, I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's completely free and I've been using it for over a year and have never had any problems.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Well done Mike (aka Debbie!)........ the Pony Express finally made it through. I got your email in my Tiscali account. Great news about Michael's progress after surgery. "The boy did good", (cliche favoured by some football managers).
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Markus, just curious. How many Americans were there at your all inclusive in Bulgaria? Or was it all Europeans?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    ZoneAlarm is supposed to be one of the highest rated anti-virus firewall products on the market. But I will be having a discussion with them soon. I had TrendMicro on the computer for six years and never had a problem. I don't like McAfee or Norton period.
    But if ZoneAlarm offers me my money back I will try something else.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, i have met personally with Frenchmen, Germans, from Belgium, from Rumania, from Spain, from Poland and from Russia. There should be also people from Finland, the Netherlands, other Estonians, from Bulgaria and from Denmark. Americans? No. Where do they live? :-?
  • edited July 2011 Member, Beta Tester
    Are you trying to get me into trouble Markus? Are you expecting me to say that most Americans speak Spanish and live in the northern suburbs of Mexico?. No, no. Count me out. I wouldn't dream of saying anything like that.
    smiley-laughing021.gif
    33 x 21 - 5K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Damned. It was so a good pass (assist?).

Btw. the women team of England is in penalties as good as the men team. :-))
  • Member, Beta Tester
    You want to get me into trouble with the English next?
    No comment.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Markus, speaking of the women's team: USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    Have you ever seen a team overcome so many BAD calls to win a match?!?!?!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Cream invariably rises to the top.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I'm black I'm black ...

Oh sorry, I'm back I'm back.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard and Ken and anyone else that has it. Send me an email.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, Following on from two recent conversations...........
    Why would anyone want to visit Stonehenge when they could visit Glenfinnan?
    This is where Bonnie Prince Charlie landed in 1745 to head the final Jacobite Uprising. Both photos were taken from the top of his monument.
    DSCF8626 - Copy.JPG
    816 x 612 - 297K
    DSCF8627 - Copy.JPG
    816 x 612 - 248K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard got a gold star! Is like when you went home from grade school and you told your mom that the teacher said you were going to be an astrophysicist? Really your mom says. Yeah, you reply, the teacher said all you were doing was taking up space!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I take up space in many a pub. that's what she probably meant.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    How do polish that star?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I have a butler to do that.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    How do you call him?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The maid does that.
  • edited July 2011 Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, the secret is out. The real purpose of your trip is to befriend Colin and Christine Weir. Smart move! How far away do they live from you?