new computer and puzzle

hi
I am back up again having got that nasty crypto ransonware virus still most of my files including pgs were backed up thank goodness
I have updated to Windows 10 and it works well.
the silly question is I put my stats in the right place and a check of the dates shows the last time I played the games and some go back to 2003 since I played but I have a file named Paul_CatsCradle.log and also pgs last played in 2002 but I cannot find this game to play again and I played it once without winning it.
did this game disappear some time in the past or am I going silly and it is there somewhere
thanks Paul

Comments

• Member, Beta Tester
    Hi Paul, I guess you have just learned a lesson regarding a decent AV. These people don't mind ruining other people's lives.
    the only reference I can find to Cat's Cradle in Goodsol is this ........
    http://www.goodsol.net/forum/messages/19/2100.html
    I couldn't be bothered reading the whole thread though.
    Plenty of results if you Google it, but apparently all from other solitaire vendors.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    indeed
    the virus checker found it when I ran a scan but did not stop in the first place it so I had 48,000 files changed in about 1 minute to unworkable but most were backed up on an external drive. As it meant reinstalling things to an 8 year old xp it was time to change to a new pc which I was intending to buy soon anyway.
    I see most of the games not played for 13 years are spider type games so these are my least favourite
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Which AV were you using Paul? (So I know to avoid it). I moved from Symantec (Norton) to Bullguard Both screen everything that I download or attempt to download. There is no point in an AV that lets anything in and permits it to execute. Surely it must have had an exe extension. Those are dangerous. Bullguard is even attempting to prevent my external drive, any memory sticks and my cameras from opening without me giving them the okay each and every time. That's a bridge too far in my opinion so it is just allowed to prevent any other self executing file from activating with me clearing it with them first.

Spiders can be tricky. I'm competent enough with them but I rarely play one. I'm entrenched in Forty Thieves type games.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Just one note on Anti Virus protection. None of them stop everything.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The thing with viruses is that we virtually have to invite them into our computers ourselves. Anything I am contemplating downloading is subjected to a virus scan before I even hit the download button. They are invariably attached to something else
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I had AVG but on the new one it is Bullguard
    It was my own fault though and caught a lot of people out and made the BBC website all week

it was emails supposedly from well known companies that actually had your complete home address so you thought it must be genuine. so if you get any of these delete it.
    it looks like these people got the information by breaking into somebody's data and the main suspect was ebay although they denied it.
    so I now will delete any of these in future and if they give me my address then they will have to write to me
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It's not difficult to get suckered in with some of the clever email phishing scams. I almost came a cropper myself recently with one from "Paypal". Someone had just sent out an email with the mention of a problem with my recent Ebay purchase. It just let's the "mark" join up the dots. I almost fell for it. I always click on the "Help" tabs. With scams these links do nothing. It's quite effective.
    I believe that Facebook is where these people get genuine information about potential victims. My Facebook time line records the fact that I started work as a legal secretary a year before I was born. The high school I went to was Mount Everest. You can't get higher than that. Facebook and other social media sites are best avoided unless you can fill in a load of garbage as your personal details.
  • Member, Moderator, Beta Tester
    >I have a file named Paul_CatsCradle.log and also pgs last played in 2002 but I cannot find this game to play again and I played it once without winning it.

I have a vague recollection (it has been 14 years! :-) ) that there was a game named Cat's Cradle but that it was renamed in a later version. I think that game (different from the one referenced elsewhere) is still in PGS, but I will have to do some serious digging in the archives to figure this one out.

Gregg :(|)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Gregg, still living out in LA? Will you be back in Lansing for football season?
    >Gregg, still living out in LA? Will you be back in Lansing for football season?

Yup, nope. It looks like I am signing up for another year here out West, but I have a strong contingent holding down the fort in East Lansing, and we get the Big Ten Network so I have not missed an MSU football game out here yet. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I need to find out where Gregg is living. And do a drive by.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    But you already know where Debbie lives Mike. :-?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Not a new idea.
    DTLA
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Hope you are well armed Gregg.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    or just wear your Debbie Butler face-mask and he'll give you a very wide berth.
  • edited May 2016 Member, Beta Tester
    Living in downtown LA, Gregg? Thomas must have given you QUITE a pay raise! Don't go getting all Hollywood on us!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Downtown LA is very different from Hollywood. And West Hollywood can get even odder.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    A totally different range of straight-jackets required.? ;)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Correct. West Hollywood's all have sequins. And for you non natives. Hollywood's name came from a housing development many years ago called "Hollywoodland".
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I have noticed when I got my new computer and you update your stats you needed to put your user name and town in again so I made sure I had it exactly the same as before. however my stats show up twice and I noticed other people have duplicate stats on the site. Could it be that the system thinks a new computer means a new person