Terrace

Terrace is another game that is far easier to win than the difficulty rating of 5% would suggest. Out of games 1-10 inclusive, I failed to win just two of them. That's an 80% win rate.

Comments

• Member, Beta Tester
    The game I think is the most opposite to the difficulty rating is "All in a Row" which has a difficulty level of 95% but on the top scores it shows 101 wins and 11,062 loses or 0.9% and the top score looks a bit suspect so is probably less than this.
    I average 38% on Terrace and I like this game
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Agreed about Terrace Paul.
    All In A Row is a vile game. It is so pointless and definitely not 95% winnable. 0.95% maybe if you cherry picked. I pay no attention to the stats. Mostly they are a work of pure fiction.

Speaking about complete fiction I noticed a post in Facebook some time ago. The poster said that he thought Canfield was 100% winnable. He said he'd won #322848929. I gave that game my all and it is definitely NOT winnable. If you resort to polishing your ego in this manner, God alone knows what trash your stats would contain. I had a good mind to tell the guy that lots of Canfields must be unwinnable including the example he posted. So far I haven't bothered. If you laid out tableaux face up with a pack of cards you could easily manufacture loads of unwinnable ones and even ones where no cards were playable other than the base card.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Totally agree about the Canfield # you posted, Richard. I don't see any way you can get more than 4!
  • edited November 2016 Member, Beta Tester
    I got it up to at least 8 Ken. (All spades). Not sure if I managed anything more by other routes.
    This is the order of cards in the reserve as far as it was possible to get. 8C,JC,5H,KD,9H,10S and by peeking beneath the 10S you see the 2C. Unfortunately you cannot ever leave the tableau JS uncovered so that the 10S could be played onto it. The top cards in columns are two black jacks, a black seven and a red nine. You cannot ever marry those up.
    I'll see if I can replay it to get the 10H back into play.
    pgs
    pgs
    Canfield_322848929-9S.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    This is as far as you can force this game. Unwinnable.
    pgs
    pgs
    Canfield_322848929_closest.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Just curious, Richard, did you ever respond to that FB post and (very politely, of course) ask the poster to post their solution?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I have just had a thought. In the Freecell rules there is a mention that deals 1-1000000 are the same as the Standard freecell so I take this to mean that games above this amount differ. there may be a different numbering from different versions of Canfield to PGS above this number as well.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    No I have refrained from posting regarding that Canfield game Ken. Perhaps some night after I've come home from the pub. That's when I'm at my most diplomatic. =P~ From memory I don't think Facebook accepts PGS files so the guy would not be able to post one even if he did have one .... which he doesn't. I could invite him to do so in the forum though.
    Let's face it if you managed to win that particular game you'd be shouting it from the housetops. It may even have got a mention on the news.
    Incidentally Paul, the guy mentioned that the twos were buried in the reserve so it is definitely the same game. Egg on face scenario would not arise. Good thinking though.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Terrace update :- Two losers in the first twenty games. 90% win rate .......... not that I particularly give a damn.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Do you Brits know the expression "Humble brag"? Just asking for a friend...
  • Member, Beta Tester
    No. Sounds like it's exclusive to America. :) Is "Kickin Ass" another one? I suppose I'm a gambler at heart and I like beating the odds or the handicapper.

Question on The Chase just now.
    Q. Which American gangster provided free milk to schools?
    A. O.J.Simpson?
  • Member, Moderator, Beta Tester
    >Speaking about complete fiction I noticed a post in Facebook some time ago. The poster said that he thought Canfield was 100% winnable. He said he'd won #322848929. I gave that game my all and it is definitely NOT winnable.

Point of order: Canfield #322848929 is winnable in most Goodsol games, the exception being the Windows edition of Pretty Good Solitaire. There is a subtle but, in this case, significant difference between PGS for Windows and the Mac and iPad editions (as well as Most Popular Solitaire and Goodsol Solitaire 101). All of the latter set allow the base card to be worried back, so by refusing to build the 3S, it is possible to build a wraparound pile and (with this exploit) win the game somewhat easily.

We can discuss the wisdom (or lack thereof :) ) behind allowing this, but it should be understood before anybody suggests that a fellow Solitaire aficionado is telling an untruth.

Gregg :(|)
  • Administrator, Beta Tester
    >I have just had a thought. In the Freecell rules there is a mention that deals 1-1000000 are the same as the >Standard freecell so I take this to mean that games above this amount differ. there may be a different >numbering from different versions of Canfield to PGS above this number as well.

Unless Microsoft has made changes to this since the last time I checked, the MS FreeCell game numbers only go up to 1 million - there aren't any games above that.

Correction - I just checked the Solitaire game in Windows 10 and apparently they have increased the game numbers to go over 1 million. So, yes, over 1 million the PGS deals are different.

There is no Windows Canfield game so there is no compatibility issue there.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Point taken Gregg. Thanks.His complete post read
    "I'm in two minds about Canfield. Is it a possible 100% score possible even after playing a few hundred games. Since studying the game I feel that about every 100 games I run into a problematic one, so I have given up on games I have later replayed and won. But it could be I just haven't explored every possibility and there is a solution for every game. for example 322848929 was one I was ready to write off. The three other foundation cards were somewhere deep in the reserve. The certain way of winning is to play all the reserve into the tableau. With that done all the remaining cards are visible and Auto play will handle the finish. You have to create empty columns in the tableau to be able to empty the reserve. With only one card in the the foundation it was difficult to do this to be able to get at the other foundation cards. I eventually succeeded. I'm sure that someone out there will find an easier way than I did".
    I was under the impression that Canfield is Canfield irrespective of which version it's played in. By allowing the base card to be worried back it makes the game far too easy and the 35% win rate easy to exceed. It also makes the online stats biased against PGS users. The Windows PGS version is far superior in my mind. I hope you don't dumb it down too.
    I will add something to the Facebook post that the guy made pointing out that his game is not winnable in the Windows PGS version. That will prevent other people from frustrating themselves with this deal unless they have one of the easier editions.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I have no problem playing the game Terrace....I like it so far. I have had like 5 wins in a row.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Terrace is FAR easier that the rating suggests. I have played games 1 - 20 inclusive and have only lost two of them. That includes a run of 15 consecutive winners.