The Plot game

this game has defeated me, been a fan of this whole series for a long long time. Been playing The Plot for at least 10 years, nary a win. Any clues to the way to a win-would guess there are many of you who have won this game

Comments

• edited October 14 Member, Beta Tester
    Hi Tom,
    I suspect that most of the people who have genuinely won the plot have used the same number. (1115340800). The others who profess to have "won" it are likely to have used the unshuffled deck number.
    (continued in next message)
    pgs
    pgs
    The Plot_1115340800-winner.pgs
  • edited October 14 Member, Beta Tester
    http://www.goodsol.net/forum/vanilla/uploads/Uploader/7b/cd23cda449f7870bca3eaa8a8b165d.pgs
    The above link can be found in the address bar of the solution I posted above. Copy it now and then go the a recent Baker's Game thread where I showed someone how to use it. Just follow those instructions and paste the above link into the box when the time comes.
    I believe it was Paul Forsdick who found the winning game number.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Richard
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It has to be one of the most con fusing games I have ever tried. Well done for you who understand it. Dilly Dilly!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Perhaps it's a female game Mike. I know you don't understand some of them. It's obviously some kind of a plot. ;)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It's not only that game. And a certain group who confuse me. I often get to some other place than here at home and wonder how I got there.
  • edited October 19 Member, Beta Tester
    #2003611775 is a new Plot winner. Will leave you to try and win it yourselves. One win from 221 games I started. Quite happy about that. The sad part is that I am way behind schedule with Block now. Back to the grindstone. ~X(
  • Member, Beta Tester
    That was easy, Richard, but ONLY because you provided a winning number!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Well done Ken. Many people will not agree that it was easy though. You have to have your strategy worked out properly or you'll never win a Plot. It's obvious that you've developed viable tactics, so the following is for anyone who is struggling with the game. As far as I know this is only the second genuine winner we have found. Paul's one was in 2009.
    I like this game despite it's frustrations. To find a suitable candidate I'd suggest looking for a tableau with the following properties. This imaginary deal would qualify.
    The Base Card dealt is a 6H.
    There are a few other Hearts in the Tableau as you must assemble an entire suit of them there before you can put anything onto the Foundations.
    The top card should be a rank equal to or slightly higher than the 6H that was the Base Card. The worst card you could have as the visible Reserve card would be a 5 of any suit other than a heart. The reasoning behind this is that in order to move this Reserve card onto a Foundation you would have to get every other card of that suit available in the tableau after you'd successfully got the first suit removed to the Foundations.
    To increase your chances even more I'd suggest you peek at the second card in the Reserve and ensure that it's a 6 or higher.
    To take it a stage further you could just click through the entire Stock to ensure that all of the hearts you'd need will be available. Then click on Restart and play it for real. It's frustrating if you discover that there is one missing.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, 66459465 looks promising. My best score is 42. Let me know how you fare.
  • edited October 22 Member, Beta Tester
    Sorry Ken but it's not worth spending much time on. When I looked at the deal I wondered why you'd even started it. The top card in the reserve is a 9H. This means that you will have to get the hearts Queen up to eight into the tableau before you can shift it. Peek beneath the 9H and you see the 4S which also pre-dictates what you are going to have to make available in the tableau to shift it too. Additionally the starting suit is diamonds so you will have to work with three suits simultaneously before you can play the first two cards from the reserve.
    You should look for tableaux where you have a few cards of the same suit as the one you've build onto the foundations first. Then look at the top two cards of the reserve. Ideally they shold be a maximum of three ranks higher than the first card of the initial suit. I think it's essential to to find deals where the two cards on the reserve can be put onto the foundations very quickly, after all you have no way of knowing what rubbish ones may be hidden beneath them.
    Attaching a snip of some of my top scores. You could try some of those if you want but I couldn't find a way to win them.
    plot.JPG
    216 x 255 - 30K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I did have a couple of deals like that but my scores were even worse. That's why this game is hard to win; it's very hard to eyeball the initial tableau to spot a winner.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    My method filters out a lot of the games that are likely to be low scoring. It gives you a decent chance of getting a game off to good start. With 13 caeds in the reserve we need all the help we can get. I doubt if there will be more than one winner in 500 despite this.
  • edited October 23 Member, Beta Tester
    Ken, 953495744 in another new winnable plot. That's 2 winners from 340 games even with cherry picking the deals. Well under 1%.
    I am attaching a screenshot of the deal. It complies with my assertion that the top two cards in the reserve should ideally be equal to or marginally higher than the first card dealt for the first foundation.
    plot tab.JPG
    1233 x 530 - 99K
  • edited October 23 Member, Beta Tester
    I've just looked at the online stats for The Plot. I see a K.Millar at #3 but Kathy Quade is at #2. :D Did you save your winning numbers Ken?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    As you can tell, that was from 10 years and two computers ago. Alas and alack, I have no ideas what my winning numbers were.
  • edited October 24 Member, Beta Tester
    Let's find a few more then. :bz I'm sure we could elevate you to #2 but we're unlikely to live long enough to get anywhere near #1
  • edited October 25 Member, Beta Tester
    I was looking at the online stats for The Plot and am convinced that they are all 100% genuine. I take my hat off to the guy who tops the table. What an amzing achievement getting such a large number of winners. =D> He must have refined his strategy to the max. I was annoyed with myself today when I had a run of about six games where there was at least one card that was required to complete the first suit that wasn't dealt to the stock. These games are unwinnable and I could have spent my time more fruitfully had I taken a couple of minutes to run through the stock to check the availability. Take heed Ken. I like this game a lot.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    He likes The Plot a lot.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I am not allowed to play the 4D onto the 5. Why?
    THE Plot1.JPG
    1808 x 954 - 363K
  • edited October 25 Member, Beta Tester
    That's because the base card that was dealt at the start is a 4H Mike. That means that you must build that suit up until it contains 13 cards before it can be moved onto the foundations. It will be only then that you can put more fours across and build upwards onto them. Your five will be useless unil then.
    Glad you are giving it a try though. It's a very difficult and tactical game.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I knew I didn't understand this game. But why can I build the other suits?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    In the main part of the tableau you can build any suits when you have the cards to do so. The only exception is that in the game in question you could only play a four into an empty column. Once it's been placed there you cannot play a 3H onto it, and you cannot play it onto a 5H. Fours will be unplayable until you have assembled 12 more hearts onto the 4H that you were dealt at the start (13 in total). Only then will you be able to play all of the fours in the tableau onto the other foundations that only open after you've completed the hearts column. It takes a bit of time to get your head around it. Basically this rule is intended to prevent you assembling 13 card runs in the tableau. You should download a solution and see how it works. Hope I've explained it more clearly this time Mike. If not just let me know. Other people (including myself) have had the same problem.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I never read the rules. Or instructions for operating things. Thanks for explaining what my old tired mind could not understand. Nice game Thomas. I will think of you every time I try and fail at this game.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, it's one of those games where you read the rules and you say "Are you frigging kidding me?" . But once you start playing it, it's actually kinda fun...
  • edited October 26 Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, I'm with you when it comes to reading the rules of our games. I usually jump straight in and rely on the hints and trial and error to suss things ouit. This works in the vast majority of them, but not The Plot.
    To win one it's essential to be able to wrap 13 cards of the suit that is dealt randomly to you before other suits can be built on the foundations. Therefore you must try to leave at least one empty column in the tableau where you can accept cards of the first suit when they appear from the stock. Being unable to do this frequently results in the game being a loser. Burying just one card in the waste can be all it takes. Sometimes you will have a few in the tableau and can work out that the missing card oor cards from the stock can be built on those you already have. That means that you don't have to laeve an empty column to accept one. This is the best time to try and introduce more cards of the same rank as your initial base card. Hard to explain, but let's assume your initial base card was the seven of clubs. Therefore you must try and wrap the remainder of that clubs suit onto it. You may reach a point when any of the missing clubs can be built onto the ones you already have. That is the best time to try and get more sevens into the tableau as each of them will occupy a column on its own as you cannot build on them until they have been moved onto foundations.
    I agree with Ken. It's "kinda fun". It's also pretty frustrating. I had a game where I had only two cards left, but they were in the Reserve the wrong way round and were unplayable. It is very frustrating when you put in a huge amount of effort and don't find out it's unwinnable until the eleventh hour. My unanswered suggestion regarding modifying the rules would go a long way towards improving the game but only make it a tiny bit easier.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    From the start of playing this game. And I have only played three hands. I tried to leave that open space. But I don't have Ken or your patience to try and figure out where I go wrong in the play. I will keep trying. But I do like the faster games.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I keep a space open when possible so that I can take cards from the stock that I will need to complete the first suit. I will always accept a card from the waste that I can immediately bulld onto another tableau card. This still keeps the space open. Accepting the components for the first suit takes priority. I often lose my empty space by accepting one of those.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, I hope this isn't an obvious suggestion but first play the #'s you know are winners. This game is WAAAY too frustrating to start out on a game # you don't know is winnable.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Thanks. I will do that. 8-X
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, the game you suggested is a good one, despite being unwinnable. I had some fun with it and wrung the last point out of it.
    pgs
    pgs
    The Plot_9-Mike.pgs