Can games be grouped by degree of difficulty ( v3.42 for Mac)?

It'd help me decide which new game(s) to learn, depending on how much time/effort I can put in at any given moment. Does degree of difficulty have anything to do with the icons to the left of the game names, e.g., bear, snowflake, plus sign, etc.? If not, what do they represent?
Thanks for one of the best apps ever!

Comments

• Member, Moderator, Beta Tester
    >Does degree of difficulty have anything to do with the icons to the left of the game names, e.g., bear, snowflake, plus sign, etc.? If not, what do they represent?

No, those icons represent the type of game (i.e., roughly, how it is played). The bear icon is for Klondike and similar games, the snowflake icon is for Yukon and similar games, and the plus sign icon is for "addition type" games, usually where cards are discarded from play.

If you click on the little arrow to the left of 'All Games' in the list, it will close that group and make it easier to see all of the different groups, including one for each different type of game. If, for example, you really enjoy games like Spider, then you may want to browse the 'Spider Type' group.

Further down, you will see some groups that do, indeed, involve degree of difficulty: 'Very Easy Games', 'Easy Games', 'Medium Games', 'Hard Games', and 'Very Hard Games'. You can find a sampling of games from each category here. Also, if you right-click on a game name and select 'Rules' from the popup menu, the help file for the games gives a better idea of the difficulty; for instance, the rules for Golf say "2 Decks. Hard (10%). Skill/Luck balanced." so you know that it is a hard game to win, and if you win more than 1 in 10, you are doing very well. However, only you can determine whether you actually enjoy playing.

>Thanks for one of the best apps ever!

Absolutely! It is our pleasure to build these games for you to play.

Gregg :(|)
  • Unlike many forums, your answers are incredibly helpful and clear, without even a hint of condescension. Thank you so much. It'll be a pleasure to pass along the kind assistance you provided.
  • (Sorry to have to ask another question.) I wasn't able to get the expected results as I tried to follow your (very clear) instructions. They may have been inadvertently targeted to a Windows user, but on my Mac there was no heading for All Games with an arrow next to it. Instead, I clicked on Categories and the games sorted by type of game. (See screen shot below.) However, I couldn't find any groups by degree of difficulty. I hope you'll be willing to offer some additional guidance. Many thanks.
    Solitaire Screen Shot.png
    2556 x 1206 - 1M
  • Member, Moderator, Beta Tester
    >However, I couldn't find any groups by degree of difficulty. I hope you'll be willing to offer some additional guidance.

Sorry. In the attempt to be clear, I made an incorrect assumption.

You should be able to select 'Preferences -> View -> Complete' from the menu (at the top of the screen) to get the groups. (It looks like you likely have 'All Games' selected instead.)

Selecting 'Complete' (the default setting) will show all of the different groups available, starting with 'All Games', followed by 'Favorites', and then about 35 others. Note that you can still sort them using the column headers, as you did, but the groups filter the list to only certain games. Many players use the 'Favorites' group because it is easy to add and remove games from that one (Game -> Include in Favorites).

I hope that helps. If you need more assistance, just ask. :)