Possible Discord server chat for Pretty Good Solitaire?

Not sure if anyone use Discord to go to server channels to chat.

Would it be possible for a server chat to be made on Discord for Pretty Good Solitaire for us to discuss about the game, download issues, game requests, and off topic?

Would still have this forum anyways but would be nice to have a chat area by using Discord.

Comments

• Member, Beta Tester
    We have Goodsol Facebook, here and Google + for this purpose. Can see no point in adding another one as the existing three are barely used anyway.
  • edited February 1 Member, Beta Tester
    That's true. Google+ had low usage and got the email this morning that its shutting down on April 2nd.

• Member, Moderator, Beta Tester
    To be honest, I think that a PGS channel on Discord would simply lead to discussion fragmentation. You were, essentially, the only active (non-Goodsol) participant on the Goodsol Development group on Google+. The Facebook group gets some traffic, but almost all actual discussion takes place right here. I only use Discord occasionally, and I doubt the few regulars here use Discord at all, but they do respond in the forum quickly.

Of course, it is not my call to make.

Gregg :(|)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    And some of us Luddites don't even know what Discord is!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It's a musical instrument you dolt!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Nice to see your name back in the threads Gregg. =D>

Ob-La -Di, Ob-La-Da
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I am glad you are back too.
  • FWIW, I went ahead and made a Discord server: https://discord.gg/xdA5h2s I will transfer ownership to Thomas Warfield if he joins it and verifies his identity.

The primary userbase of Discord is probably on the younger, hipper, knows-more-about-technology, and plays-Fornite-instead-of-solitaire side, but I think a PGS server where we can voice chat with other PGS players while we play could be great. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Isn't that exactly what we have here? Count me out anyway.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Its not getting anywhere anyways.

butler, might as well get rid of that. It was worth a try though.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I haven't done anything!
  • Administrator, Beta Tester
    That's me over there on the Discord server (Twitter doesn't let me DM you).

Anything that brings in new users is good, we need new users - young, hip, or artificial hippers.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, you're like Trump. People blame him for everything, also!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    That's so true.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    How fitting .... Discord in the Discord thread. ;))
  • @RichardScotland: Like I said, the primary benefit of the Discord server is possible voice chat with other PGS players. There's no voice chat on a forum. :)

@support: I've promoted you to a mod on the server. If you want ownership of the server, let me know. :)
  • edited March 25 Member, Beta Tester
    My PC speakers are switched off practically all of the time. I can play my solitaire in peace. That's possibly a good reason why I win so many games; I can concentrate on the task in hand. I can see no merit or benefit from talking to fellow members as many of them don't speak English and among those who do there would be different accents that would lead to incoherent discussions. It is difficult enough trying to explain matters to some people using the written word. I can upload solutions to games that people can open and see a move by move analysis of any games I've won. They can use them to improve their own game-play. I can also upload screenshots for the same purpose. Even then there can be problems as different members are using Goodsol products that save games in different formats, ie .pgs and .goodsol. There are also those who use Macs. It never ceases to amaze me the number of times I have to replay games I've won in PGS and repeat the moves in .goodsol format in order to help Mac users. Are people who use Macs (with the exception of Gregg) too lazy to try to help one another? ;)) I spend my own time playing and winning problem games that people have posted and in many cases don't even get an acknowledgement far less a thank you. It would be no improvement being ignored in Discord. Your idea has fallen on deaf ears. :-j (Yet another reason why the written word is superior). Someone who speaks Arabic or Chinese could use Google to translate this post. Could Discord? And then there is also the time-zone problem. I rest my case.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    What he said!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Perhaps Face chat would provide some amusement
  • edited March 25 Member, Beta Tester
    Great idea Larry. Mike could get his guitar out again and serenade us. I'll just lip read.(Remember, my speakers are turned off).
    Just ignore the critics Mike. Get stuck in. Practice some medleys.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Speaking of guitars. My wife bought me a used 1978 Martin for Christmas. It sounds great. I wish I was a better player.
    And to the topic. I have no desire to chat with anyone.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    No chat Mike. Just sing. :)
    You can get guiar coaching on YouTube you know?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    My fingers are too fat for for this fret board.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    That's a pity Mike. It's the world's loss. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Yes it is.