Corona (NOT the virus!)

Richard, do you remember how we used to play this back in the day back before the word "Corona" was verboten? Somehow playing this game and winning makes me feel better about the state of the world.
Try your luck with 53

Comments

• edited March 24 Member, Beta Tester
    Corona #53. 2 Decks. Medium (25%). Skill/Luck balanced.
    Do I remember? Well no Ken. When I return to games that I've obviously played heaps of some time ago it's like a whole new page. I've to reteach myself how to play them. It must be years since I played any Coronas.
    Now, you said to try my "luck" with #53. As Tina Turner once said, "What's luck got to do, got to do with it?".
    A very early partial shows how I contrived to get a 3D into the tableau. When one eventually appears from the stock you play the 10D onto the JD and introduce it. Another terminal mistake can be made if you play the 5S from the stock onto a foundation. Ignore it. It can be buried. You must play the existing one from the tableau instead as it covers a critical 6S. It follows that you must work out how to uncover those. Oh, and be very careful about which 7D you play onto a foundation. It was no accident that I allowed the second one into a valuable space. Luck! I ask you! ;))
    Also attaching a later partial and my full solution.
    pgs
    pgs
    Corona_53_3D.pgs
    380B
    pgs
    pgs
    Corona_53-P.pgs
    pgs
    pgs
    Corona_53.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    when I was young in the 1960s there was a company called Corona who made soft drinks and they used to deliver to houses and we called him the Corona man. I do not think he would be welcome now.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Corona is a major beer brand in the States Paul.
    corona beer.JPG
    681 x 390 - 45K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    more info
    Corona was a brand of carbonated soft drink produced by Thomas & Evans Ltd in South Wales, and distributed across the United Kingdom. The firm was created by grocers William Thomas and William Evans when they saw a market for soft drinks caused by the growing influence of the temperance movement. The company's first factory was based in Porth, Rhondda, eventually expanding to 87 depots and factories throughout Britain.[1] Corona was sold to the Beecham Group in 1958 and subsequently to Britvic, but stopped trading as a brand in the late 1990s.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Corona is also a brand of American cigars Paul. That's three things they now have that could kill you. :-j
  • Member, Beta Tester
    LOL!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, I'm posting this not because I want the solution or I spent very much time on it but because you said you always want difficult games. There are too many buried cards (for me) to waste my time on it but I know you do love a challenge!
    Try 57
  • edited April 1 Member, Beta Tester
    Thanks Ken. Appreciated. :) Coaxed 40 out of it at the first attempt. No prizes for guessing that I'll not be able to accept that as my best score. At least I have a better idea of what I'll need to introduce into the tableau Right now the smart money is on unwinnable.
    A strange hour for you to be on the go.
    Bowing out for the moment with a score of 51. The diamonds present what looks like and insurmountable problem. One 2D is covered by a KD so getting the other one into the tableau must be critical. I can do that but it means that an equally critical 6S must be sacrificed. Refusing the first 3D from the stock could perhaps nudge my score up a trifle.
    Good game Ken. Thanks. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I surmised the same problem. Btw, PGS helps me with my insomnia.
    It's WINNABLE Ken. I took my own advice re the 3D. My previous analysis of the critical cards was spot on too.
    Try it from partial P1 first. Advanced partial plus full also attached. GREAT game. Thanks.
    Sorry about your insomnia. Don't eat any food for at least an hour prior to bedtime. Nothing with caffeine either. Sugary stuff also keeps the brain from shutting down.
    pgs
    pgs
    Corona_57_P1.pgs
    pgs
    pgs
    Corona_57_P.pgs
    pgs
    pgs
    Corona_57_won.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Is this an April Fool's joke, Richard? Will I open up your solution and get a hearty "APRIL FOOLS"? If not, you are INCREDIBLE!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It's easily winnable from the first partial, Richard. GOOD SHOW! It's a little confusing because I did not know that you could move the cards around once the stock and the waste are exhausted. The rules only state, "Spaces are filled from the waste, or the stock if the waste is empty." They don't really delineate what is permissible when there is no more stock or waste. Gregg, maybe an update of the rules is in order?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    There are rules !? @-)
    Ken, Hover your cursor over the empty waste pile and you will see the hint "Waste:Any card in empty pile". You can actually legally play a card back into the waste when it is empty. Seek and ye shall find Grasshopper. \:D/ I suppose you could take issue with the hint, "Tableau:Any card in empty pile". That definitely contradicts the rules although until the waste and stock piles are empty you don't have that option.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, do you want another challenging one? Try 59
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Always.
    49 at my second attempt. May be unwinnable Ken but I've not surrendered yet. Got to beat that score at the very least. >:)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Unwinnable. It is not possible to get a critical 3S and an equally critical 10S into the tableau during play. You can get either one but never both. Both 3S's and both 10S's appear early in the deal. Another critical card, the 8D ensures that it cannot be won. I did however squeeze an extra point out of it and believe that 50 is the best possible score.
    Glad you resurrected Corona Ken.
    pgs
    pgs
    Corona_59.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    That's the score I got. Nice to know no other points were available. Thanks for trying.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I got an easy one for you, Richard. Try 65
    My highest score is 57 but I know you can bring it home.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    An unusual definition of "easy" Ken. =P~
    It is going to take many restarts before much in the way of progress can be made. .... if any.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Did I jinx you?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    No. :) It took me 43 minutes to add 3 to your score. Trying to work out a list of priorities for this one is proving very difficult. Not prepared to use the unxxxxxxxxx word yet though. :) Good game. The type I enjoy trying to win.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    But it's been so long that I've won a game that you haven't, I forgot how to upload a solution!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I got locked out during breakfast.
    I won it too. Well done though. That was far from "easy".
    pgs
    pgs
    Corona_65P.pgs
    pgs
    pgs
    Corona_65_won.pgs
  • Member, Beta Tester
    When I want to upload solutions I just click on "Open game" and then drag he file over to desktop for uploading.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I've saved games before. I remember that I used the "Save game as" from the dropdown menu but the problem is I don't remember where that puts them in my computer. I'll try your method next time (if there is a next time, breakfast notwithstanding...)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I've found that PGS sometimes tries to open games in Documents. When that happens I close that window and ask it to save a game instead. (Correct path in my screenshot). After doing so it opens correctly no matter if I want to open or save a game.
    Ken.JPG
    723 x 278 - 44K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Ok, thanks! I'll try that.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    You're weclome (as Jack's doormat in Still Game read).
    jack.JPG
    553 x 291 - 64K