Miscellaneous

edited September 2011 in General
This is a test to see if I know how to start a new topic. %%-

Best Answers

• edited December 2014 Member, Beta Tester Answer ✓
  • Member, Moderator, Beta Tester Answer ✓
    >Not quite as good as the old forum [...]

Honestly, I disagree with this assessment, since this forum keeps track of which topics/messages have actually been "read" (opened), so I can instantly see what is new. (On the old forum, I would have to recall when I last read messages, and woe be to me if I quit having only read some of the new ones.)

Of course, this means that new threads do not show as "New" to the original author, as they presumably already know what it says... :)
  • Member, Beta Tester Answer ✓
    Alas, poor PGS forum, I knew him well...
    I cannot understand this discussion. For me it is nearly the same as the old one. I can see, when there is a new thread. I can ask about winners or not winners. All the same as in the old one. Oh, i forgot, the layout is different. :-?
    I know a controversial topic you could start, Kathy. I'm betting you think Notre Dame is actually a GOOD football team (Ha!).
    Subject: Phenomenal 2 letter word.
    I'm sure you will enjoy this. I never knew one word in the English language that can be a noun, verb, adj, adv, prep.
    It’s always nice to be able to send something educational!

UP

Read until the end ... you'll laugh.

This two-letter word in English has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that word is 'UP.' It is listed in the dictionary as an [adv], [prep], [adj], [n] or [v].

It's easy to understand UP, meaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP?

At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP, and why are the officers UP for election and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report? We call UP our friends, brighten UP a room, polish UP the silver, warm UP the leftovers and clean
    UP the kitchen. We lock UP the house and fix UP the old car.

At other times, this little word has real special meaning. People stir UP trouble, line UP for tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

To be dressed is one thing but to be dressed UP is special.

And this UP is confusing: A drain must be opened UP because it is stopped UP.

We open UP a store in the morning but we close it UP at night. We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP!

To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look UP the word UP in the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes UP almost 1/4 of the page and can add UP to about thirty definitions.

If you are UP to it, you might try building UP a list of the many ways UP is used. It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.

When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out, we say it is clearing UP. When it rains, it soaks UP the earth. When it does not rain for awhile, things dry UP. One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now . . . my time is UP!

Oh . . . one more thing: What is the first thing you do in the morning and the last thing you do at night?

U

P!

Did that one crack you UP?

Don't screw UP. Send this on to everyone you look UP in your address book . . . or not . . . it's UP to you.

Now I'll shut UP!

>UP

Here in Michigan, those two letters (when capitalized like that) are read individually ("yoo pee") and always refer to the Upper Peninsula (of Michigan). People up there are referred to as "Yoopers" (not a derogatory term).

There is no equivalent for the Lower Peninsula (where I live), but the Yoopers call us "trolls" because we live below the bridge. :)
  • edited September 2011 Member, Beta Tester Answer ✓
    Because the smileys only work for those who smile. ;-)
    You do. Your pants.
    >On a serious note, why don't the installed Smileys function for me?

I noticed that some of my early bookmarks had URLs with "#" in the middle, in which case the smiley chart popup did not work. Now all (or most) of the URLs have "vanilla" in that part of the address, which does work. If you have that hash symbol (generally called a "pound sign" on this side of the Atlantic), try replacing that part of the URL with the word "vanilla" (and updating any old bookmarks).

Gregg :(|)
    Hew doesn't need smileys. He needs an Ale. :-))
    Just one Mike? A dozen, Mike, a dozen. :p
    Mike, you have to go and eat some spare ribs. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it was the favorite restaurant for spare ribs of Frank Sinatra. And they are great there.
  • edited September 2011 Member, Beta Tester Answer ✓
    Richard,
    just killed a man,
    put a gun against ...
    :-((
    And you'll probably run into a few bums who'll say, "Mister, can you spare some ribs?"
    Gregg, there are still wrong smiley-links.
    Ken, yes i could, but there won't be any meat between. :-))
    If I go to a tall building I will jump. But I will wave on the way down. And lets hope all the planes stay in the air that day so you will have something to look at. No time for ribs. Chicago pizza and hot dogs. Then the steak house in the evening. Hopefully a dinner cruise on the lake too.
    4:10pm. Not quite dark. Into O'Hare. Named after a pilot BTW. I will be wandering the streets during the day while the wife is in meetings. So who knows where I may end up. And I was informed the dinner cruise is out. Fine by me.
    >Chicago pizza

Pizzeria Uno (the original) downtown is excellent, though the wait for a table can be lengthy. (I was first taken there late one evening in 1992 by an executive of IBM Chicago, after I pulled IBM's bacon out of the fire. That was, I think, before Pizzeria Uno was franchised around the country.)

Pizzeria Due (with the same menu) is just a block away, too, but I have not been there, personally.

If you ever wonder where Chicago got all of its deep dish crust, go north to Milwaukee and order a pizza there... thinnest cardboard crust you'll ever find. :)
    Thanks for the Pizza info Gregg. We will see how it pans out. :-D
    Congrats, Greg! Is MSU that good or is OSU that bad?
    (And how about them Badgers?)
    >Is MSU that good or is OSU that bad?

I think that it was a little of both. MSU's defense was # 1 in the nation coming into the game, and this performance did not hurt. On the other hand, Cousins (QB) did not have a very good game (probably due to the rain), but they still looked far better than Ohio State. (I speculate that Dantonio did not really try for the shutout, since it would have doomed his good friend who is fighting to hold on to his OSU coaching job.)

>(And how about them Badgers?)

Dunno. I can't see past the Wolverines (in two weeks). :)

Gregg :(|)
    Gregg, good luck against Michigan today! (You're going to need it...)
    What a game! Congrats, Gregg!
    Gregg, I'm picking MSU over Wisconsin in my football pool. Your boys better not let me down!
    A man walks into an Ann Arbor sports bar with a small dog under his arm. He says to the bartender: "Hey, can I leave my dog here while I go the MSU/UM game?"
    "A dog in my bar? No, absolutely not."
    "But he's a special dog", the man says.
    "In what way?", the bartender asks.
    "Well, he'll watch the game on TV with you. When Michigan State scores he will walk up and down the bar on his hind legs. When Michigan scores he will walk up and down the bar on his front legs. When Michigan State wins, he will do back flips all the way down the bar and back.”
    "Wow!" the bartender says. "That's amazing. What does he do when Michigan wins?"
    "How should I know?" says the man. "He's only four years old."
    :-D

This is a decent/humorous take on the final play of the game (anybody can enjoy):

>I'm picking MSU over Wisconsin in my football pool. Your boys better not let me down!

Wish them luck! %%- (Unlike Michigan, the Badgers deserve their national ranking.)
    Good one, Gregg!
    (Is Thomas going to forbid BIG 10 talk on the board since his team lost to Purdue?)
    Way to go, Gregg! What a game!
  • edited March 2015 Member, Beta Tester Answer ✓
    Hi Kathy, Long time no see! Nice to have you back.
    This is a new forum software. There is a glitch or two to get sorted out. No idea how or why you got the email. It sounds like it could have been an extremely old one that's been duplicated automatically. I looked at my inbox here earlier today. Some of the messages are several years old. I couldn't delete any. They must be stored by some provider I no longed use. Tiscali perhaps. Will email you later. We are going out soon and I have to get ready.

Answers

• Member, Beta Tester
    I signed out and then back in. In the old forum, there would have been a "new" posting. I don't see it in this one.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I agree with Richard. On the old forum when I would see "New", I knew I hadn't read the postings. When I read them, they no longer showed up as new unless someone posted after I read them. I'm getting used to the forum, but I still prefer the old way. Also, I've noticed there aren't as many postings as we used to have. I think most of us preferred the old way. Sometimes I don't even bother to read the messages anymore.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I guess then that this "old dog" can't be taught new tricks. All I know is we had much more fun on the old forum and some rather heated discussions which added to the fun most of the time. Do I have to start making some controversial comments again to get the ball rolling? You know I'm capable of it.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    We used to go to the Notre Dame football home games every Saturday when I was growing up, and my sister is an alumnus, but sad to say "it ain't what it used to be". In fact, nothing is what it used to be. I guess that comes with getting older too.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Good luck with the Solicitor. I ususally yell at the solicitors who ring my doorbell. (I know they are different) Have a good holiday. I will be in Chicago next week. Lucky me.
  • edited December 2014 Member, Beta Tester
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, you're going to be in my neighborhood! If you go up on top of one of the tallest buildings and look southeast over Lake Michigan, that's where I'll be. So don't forget to wave. You'll also probably be flying into the airport over my apartment. So every plane I'll see, I'll think of you.