Miscellaneous

Answers

• Member, Beta Tester
    Thei motto should be, "After me, you're first ..... sometimes".
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I have never heard of a case like yours. Only the sense of taste and smell when you have a bad cough. I will ask nurse Debbie to send you an email describing what to do. Have plenty of time to read it!
    I know you have seen many doctors over the years about the problem. But there must be one out there that can help. When did the problem first start?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Started in my twenties Mike. I get the impression that there is something lurking around that has never been tackled.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Is that why you're so skinny? Because food doesn't appeal to you? I wouldn't want your problem for a lifetime but for a couple of years maybe...
  • edited January 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    Compliment! Me,skinny. :)
    I still have a good appetite that includes cakes and sweets. They say that mental activity burns off loads of calories. Not sure I wear that. All fat people can't be thick surely. ;))
    EDIT
    Looks like I jumped the gun somewhat. I tasted 4 out of 6 components of my evening meal just now. Even a poorish sense of taste is a huge improvement in my life. Hope it's not its last hurrah. :)>-
  • Member, Beta Tester
    "Public health risk" temperatures in Iowa !! Comments Ken?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Currently at 9am, it's -25F and the windchill is -48. It's colder here than in Antartica!
    Thank God for PGS or I'd be going crazy!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The news footage we got here looked horrific and we were told that some people had got frostbite. The UK has been getting snow and low temperatures too, but nothing near that league. Where we live we have had one light dusting of snow this "winter" and it was gone in a matter of hours.
    Jeremy Wade of River Monsters fame was in Iowa and other states along the length of the Mississippi on the box last night. His new series is revisiting a few major rivers across the world and showing us the catastrophic decline in water quality and fish numbers. Most surprising so far has been the Amazon, extremely serious polution and a dramatic plunge in fish numbers. The Ganges saw him with an Indian holy man. They were waist deep in the river and he had to copy the holy man and immerse himself totally three times. The Indian guy deliberately swallowed some water each time. J.W. tested the water soon afterwards and the test showed it was full of human effluent. India has a space program but no sewage treatment plants. The Mississippi has many problems too but far less serious. Straightening the river to aid shipping has deprived many fish and shrimps of conditions they require to reproduce. Some areas have enormous algae problems that kill everything by using up all of the oxygen. The Chinese carp epidemic in the north has been well documented before but it's encouraging that serious attempts are now being made to eradicate the most of them. What surprised me most was that you have a serious issue with micro plastic pollution in the river. Inevitably it will all land up in the sea. At least you have lots of people working to address the problems, the other countries are trying to ignore theirs.

What are you playing in PGS these days? I was beginning to think you'd found a new hobby.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Still playing KOE but don't forget I have a full-time job. I'll be 63 in a week. 2 more years to go for Medicare. Can I make it?
  • edited January 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    65 will be a doddle for you. You are a whole lot fitter than me and (to the best of my knowledge) don't have long term medical problems like me. I survive chiefly to get as much pension money out of them as humanly possible. I am perfectly able to waste my own money and don't need experts like them to do it for me. ;))
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I am cold. And it's only in the low sixties. But I remember my time in Washington DC when it was -2. I don't want to be anywhere even close to that again. Ken. Do you have chains on your bike tires? I thought it was a lot of bad weather in Scotland. We are suppose to get more rain over the next few days. I will stay inside under my blankets. Also. My home team is playing in a big game on Sunday. Be sure to watch. And root for them.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    You mean the team that robbed the Saints?! Just kidding! I'll be rooting for the Rams because nobody wants the Patriots to win AGAIN!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Who? ;))
  • Member, Beta Tester
    He is on first.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Doctor Who ?!?! Is he arriving by Tardis?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I don't know if Who is a Doctor. But he often takes care of What on second.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    You're too quiet again Mike. What's up?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Nothing to say. I am watching your other conversations. But have no relevant comments. I am also very concerned with the direction my country is going.
  • edited February 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    Democracy is failing both our countries Mike. It's disturbing. Things shouldn't be like this. Where the hell is the middle ground? Petty minded bloody kids, the most of them.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Just wondering. How far does free education go in Scotland and England? Should I mention Wales also?
    All children get free education in the UK. It can start when a child is 4 years old as the starting date is the year in which the child would be 5. Leaving school is more complex these days. You can leave school age 16 but only if you are going immediuately into an apprenticeship or going to a college. That means you must stay in ecucation until you are 18 unless you have an apprenticeship lined up.
    You may be pleased to learn that Corbyn's leftish Labour Party lost another member last night. That's 8 who've jumped ship. Only the brain-dead will vote Labour now. The party is becoming a joke, nothing more than a wrecking ball. More are expected to leave but disturbingly the rumour is that some Conservatives will join the breakaway group. Everybody just wants their own way irrespective of the wishes of the people who elected them on the strength of what their party said they would support. It's very similar to the Trump regime. He was elected fairly, many voters voting for him because he said he would build a wall. In effect what the Democrats are doing is dismissing the wishes of a massive number of citizens who voted Republican. By what right? What is the point of having elections at all if the losing party can run roughshod over the wishes of the winning party. I don't like Trump. That's no secret, but surely he has the right to act on the wishes of those who elected him to power. The wall and Brexit .... same conundrum.
    I've got a terrific hobby that any of you can try. It's fun and it's totally free. You get to give big brother a kicking at the same time.
    This morning I thought I'd start my day by searching for saddles and saddlebags in Google. Hardly any time had elapsed before ads appeared at the right hand side of my Hotmail email account. I then did a search for Burkas and lo and behold guess what popped up at the side of my Hotmail? My next search is going to be for a rocking horse. So if you see someone wearing a burka, sitting on a western style saddle, astride a rocking horse ..... you've had far too much to drink. =))
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, I think Mike was asking if you UKers get free college. A lot of the Democrat presidential candidates are running on a platform of free college for all. (Btw, Mike, I don't agree with this. We have to be somewhat fiscally responsible. But we do need to do something with the rampant college costs.)
    Mmmm. Complex. England and Scotland vary slightly.
    "College" is not really a term that's used much here. Those establishments are invariably confined to people who have left school at 16 and have no intention of going on to university. They muck around there until they are 18 and can then start claiming state benefits. Okay, some of the classes they offer (foc) are attended by people who fully intend going on to university education. The majority are wasters.
    University tuition fees and loans. If you are going to university in Scotland: Scottish students attending university in Scotland can be charged up to £1,820 per year for tuition. The Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) will pay this in full if you are eligible.
    If you're under 19 years old on 31 August before you enrol on your course, and you're taking a full- or part-time course funded by the Education Funding Agency, you don't have to pay tuition fees.
    There are also Student Loans. These are only required to be paid back in installments once you leave that education facility and your wages per annum hit a certain threshold, currently £25,000. So you could languish in education from age 4 to age 22 or so and not pay a dime. If you then chose to sell "fries" in MacDonalds you wouldn't have to repay the student load you got, and probably spent mainly on beer.

Perhaps you guys are spending far too much on nukes and things. Maybe if education was free you'd have better educated people who'd not vote for the Elephants ........ although Donkeys is hadly a description I would have chosen for a political party either. Perhaps they were all Orwellians. "Four legs good, two legs bad". Either way neither party has a leg to stand on. :-j
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Ken was correct. We have Junior colleges here which are either no cost or low cost. Universities are different. They can be expensive. Student loans and scholarships help many. The colleges and universities are full. And teachers with tenure sometimes do nothing. Almost all instructors are liberal. Some very left wing. A student with a different view than the teacher is sometimes asked to leave.
    More later. Something is going on in the neighborhood.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Hope the "something" that's going on isn't serious Mike.
    Universities here don't discriminate. If you are clever enough you can worship Satan if you like. Just because we disagree with some factions doesn't mean that they are wrong. Thay are as entitled to their beliefs as we are. As long as it's legal and doesn't hurt anyone physically it is accepted in our universities, even encouraged.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    False alarm. A couple of police cars drove by. But they left before I could see what was going on.
    Our schools are different. Opposing opinions are not allowed. I tried to have a discussion on Facebook. To try and learn m ore about how people come to the conclusions they make. And I was told to shut up. That I didn't know what I was talking about. So I drooped two old friends. One was an ex girlfriend.
    So will there be another vote on Brexit? And the Big Orange Balloon. I mean my President will be talking to the Little Rocket Man again. I don't think anything will happen. But we continue to hope. And Putin is spouting off again. As if he doesn't already have nukes aimed at us. Of course we have some aimed at him too. So I guess it's all fair.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    In my experience Mike, "Facebook friends" can be an oxymoron. It appears to be a case of agree with me or else. You can do without people like like. Good riddance.
    Opposing opinions must be allowed within education in particular. Without it you are raising clones. Throughout history some of the greatest minds have been slightly unhinged, but it is they who have helped civilisation to take leaps forward. Facebook is just a Fake News Factory. You'll note how seldom my name crops up there. I'll be damned if I'll allow anyone to stifle my opinions. They are genuinely held beliefs and I m entitled to air them if I choose. Secondary schools and universities here have Debating Societies. You can't have a debate if everybody has the same opinion.
    The "Big Orange Balloon". Can I take it that you have become disillusioned with the man? Bernie Sanders recently branded him a "pathological liar". Liars can be very convincing and people often get sucked in by what they are being told. We Brits were sold some gigantic whoppers during the Brexit campaign. Apparently it's permissible to lie to the electorate if you are a politician. At least Trump's not Putin. I can see the latter remaining in power for a very long time.
    Politics are in total chaos here. I predicted a long time ago that this would happen. The system is rotten to the core. We have constituencies here that voted to leave the EU that are being "represented" in parliament by MP's who are doing their damnest NOT to leave it. These individuals are scum. Apparently they think that their individual opinion outweighs the opinions of huge numbers in their own constituents who voted the opposite to what he did. Democracy? Don't make me laugh! Of course we still have law-makers like Facepuke that can make important decisions on our behalf.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, there are still some liberals left that don't agree with you but will defend to the death your right to say it!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Thought this might interest you guys:

Living conservative in the liberal college world

EDITOR'S NOTE: This is from Future View, a WSJ.com feature that asks college students their opinions on politics, culture and global affairs. This week, participants wrote about the campus free-speech crisis. Here are two of the responses.

THE REAL SNOWFLAKES. 'Is it as crazy as it looks?' As a student at the University of California at Berkeley, that's one of the first questions my parents' friends ask.

No, I tell them, it's not that bad. There is a loud minority that gets disproportionate attention in the news. But most of us on campus enjoy the free exchange of ideas.

It's true, there's a liberal bias. Conservatives sometimes hold back their opinions in the classroom for fear of opprobrium. There's an irony here: The same students who mock 'snowflakes' asking for safe spaces are often the ones complaining they're uncomfortable voicing their beliefs in the classroom. The social pressure is real enough; but if safe spaces aren't necessary, speak up. The professor isn't going to fail you. Well, not most of them, anyway.