Miscellaneous

Answers

• Member, Beta Tester
    LIBERAL EYE ROLLS. Ask a liberal student about the 'campus free-speech crisis,' and watch him roll his eyes. He'll tell you it's a figment of the conservative imagination - a handful of racist speakers have been protested or shut down, but the overwhelming majority proceed without incident. Speak your mind, he'll insist. No one will punish you for it.

Ask a conservative student, however, and you'll hear her stories: how she couldn't speak up in her classes, scared to admit that the shibboleths of the left aren't her own; how she had to self-censor in her dorm and in her academic papers; how she couldn't imagine revealing her true positions on abortion, affirmative action or gun control.

They're both right. Rarely do colleges formally punish students for expressing conservative opinions. But when one's peers and professors are overwhelmingly left-wing, students reasonably fear that they could be ostracized for sharing their beliefs.

Occasional protests against controversial guest speakers are the least important manifestation of the problem. Instead, worry about the intellectually curious student who is afraid to question the prevailing views. If not in college, when?

Sam Wolfe, Stanford University,
  • edited February 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    I hadn't realised this was such an issue in the U.S. Has your First Amendment been repealed? (I know it has been domestically in some places). ;))
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I have a son in college. And he knows what is going on. If it is a debating class. You can take sides. Other than that. Only certain discussions are permitted. Michael is a history major. He has told how teachers twist history around. Not all. But some. I have learned a lot from him. We have talks very often.
    Donald Trump is the President. He comes from a different background than any other President. For some reason he likes to keep in turmoil. But as I have said before. I look at the other possible President. And she would not have done anything. Politicians are not in the office to help the people. They are in it for their own place in the spotlight. Some of them may try at first. But then they wait for their time on television. Power is the only thing that matters.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    "Teachers twisting history around"......... that's the Hollywood approach. Distorting facts to make a stoty they agree with. Your original fake news. Surely these teachers are answerable to others on a higher pay grade.
    Trump or Clinton was like asking if you'd prefer to be shot or stabbed. An admission to make ........ Liz and I have seen a few episodes of Drug Wars on TV recently focussed on your border. We didn't know how big the problem is. Maybe a wall is the best option you've got. Nothing else appears to be making any difference.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The wall we currently have manages to funnel most of the drugs into the border crossing check points where we can stop most of them. A lot come in by container ships. Mostly from China. Tunnels have been built under the walls. But they are very few. And discovered very quickly. We need more walls in certain areas. Stopping the human traffickers and checking out the criminals. It is not fair for people who have been waiting to come here legally for many years for another group of people to just walk in.
    Ken. I don't believe you are part of the radical left. I also think you are for equality and a fair system of government. But I think that congress would still be sitting on their butts if Trump had not got them moving. Even at that. They can't get much done. All politicians are looking out for themselves. How do I get re-elected.
    In the last election. The republicans put up lousy House candidates. I am surprised that any republicans from California can still win a seat. But the 2020 election may bring the country to ruin. And that worries me.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    We were impressed at the ingenuity of the drug smugglers and the lengths they were prepared to go to drive their cargo north into the US. They had made engine parts that looked identical to the genuine ones. Entire chassis had been made that incorporated compartments where drugs were concealed. The only way to get them back out was to use an angle grinder. The cartels are spending a fortune on such modifications. More impressive was the extent that the border agency are prepared to go to to locate them. They completely dismantled vehicles and cut them to bits. Their weakest point is the Rio Grande. Despite the large number of men and the technology they were using smugglers were getting across. Most got caught before they could away however. This really is a war. Trump is an abrasive person who rubs many people up the wrong way. Those fighting him regarding his wall are probably as naive as I was regarding the magnitude of the problem. If they have a better solution I for one would like to hear it.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    "Trump or Clinton was like asking if you'd prefer to be shot or stabbed!" LOL!
    Truer words were never spoken and this coming from a staunch Democrat!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Or back to Game of Thrones .... "The tongue it is then". :-j
  • Member, Beta Tester
    So. Do you have a choice for President yet Ken. And anyone but Trump doesn't count.
    And who is in the Running for Theresa Mays place?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Your Presidential elections appear to be dictated by the size of the candudates bank balances Mike. Talent and suitability doesn't appear to matter as much.
    Theresa May is likely to be deposed for doing her damndest to deliver Brexit ...... the poisoned chalice that nobody else had the guts to lift. There are plenty of back-biting, self-seeking snakes, invertebrates and slime-balls hiding under rocks who will put their names forward when / if we ever leave Europe. I'm disgusted by all of them. The only decent thing that has emerged from all of the insanity is that Jeremy Corbyn has been branded by members of his own party as "unfit to be Prime Minister". Disloyalty is tearing both parties apart. Or enemies must be laughing their socks off.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Actually, I like somebody from your neck of the woods, Mike: Kamala Harris. If she's good enough for the state of California, she's good enough for me. And unlike Hillary, she has a good sense of humor!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Kamala D. Harris. Anagrams .... Dam lark Sharia .... Mad lark Sharia.
    Or one that I need to explain ..... Islam. Dark haar.
    Haar is a word that appears on our Scottish weather forecast maps. It is a thick sea fog.
    Many a true word? ;)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Good pick Ken. As attorney general of California she managed to do nothing. She gave the current treasury secretary of the US a free pass on some litigation. Then got a $200,000 campaign donation from him. Any liberal running in California will get elected. We now have a new nut case for Governor. Kamala is my choice too. Cory Booker could put up a fight. But the country still wants a woman. No matter how unqualified she may be.
    Your anagrams may turn out to be true. Sharia law is coming. But only in certain states. Too many Hispanics in my part of the country. And some of us here can actually think.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, the suspense is killing me! Did you watch the last episode of Season 3 yet?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Yes Ken. It lived up to your blow your mind prediction. It was also great because it thinned out the protagonists considerably and made it easier for me ( who has facial recognition issues) to keep track of what's going on. If you research the "Black Dinner" you will see that murdering dinner guests happened here in 1440. Apparently the author adapted this and the Glencoe Massacre as a basis for the finale of Season 3. Sugar's dragons are growing nicely, as is her army. I predict the occasional argument. :-j
  • Member, Beta Tester
    So that's why you didn't recognize me when I saw you in the pub last week!
  • edited February 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    Yeah, just keep telling yourself that. ;))
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The following is a genuine Korean phrase Any similarity to any news item today is purely coincidental.
    "He disappeared quicker than a fart through hemp pyjamas".
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I once shot at a elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing in my pajamas I'll never know.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, that explains why you're such a Groucho some of the time...
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mmmm. Those must have been huge pyjamas Mike. A present from someone? Had you lived in the UK I'd have asked if she got them from Marx & Spencer. Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I'll leave the Harpo jokes for somebody else. And the Oprah jokes also.
    It was a very tiny elephant
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Obviously a truncated elephant then Mike. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    LOL!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The elephant in the room has spoken.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Was it a trunk call Mike? :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Absolutely.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, have you taken a break from playing KoE to watch anymore GOT? What season are you on?
  • edited March 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    I'll be watching the 4th dvd of season five tonight Ken. According to Facebook I heard that the trailer for season 8 will no longer be screened.
    Have you heard of Britbox? It's a collaboration between BBC and ITV and will include their back catalogues. It is intended to put a dent in Netflix. It is due to screen here later this year. Possibly June. I may subscribe to that.