Miscellaneous

Answers

• Member, Beta Tester
    It was Joe Biden who made the gaff. He is good at making them.
    Is European Law an oxymoron?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Joe Biden ....... I need job. Anagrams don't lie Mike.
    In relationship to European Laws, oxymorons would benefit from the addition of a silent P. ;))
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Any updates on your garden, Richard? It seems like you're going all out this year.
  • edited May 9 Member, Beta Tester
    Very little going to plan Ken. Adverse weather. High winds, heavy rain and some hail. Occasional frosts are still a problem too, and are preventing me getting my cuttings planted. I had about 500 seeds in pots. About a quarter failed to germinate and only about 20% of those are any decent sie. My usual brand of compost is to blame. They've obviously been messing around with what's gone into it. People would prefer that quality was maintained and would certainly pay more if necessary. They've lost a regular customer. On the plus side, I have loads of perennials from previous years that are racing ahead. It will look great when everything is in bloom. I'll email you a photo or three.
    I got my new glasses but they are so alike that I can't tell you which pair I am wearing. Everyone is out to rip you off.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I can do very little gardening. I pulled some weeds the other day. And have been paying for it.
    With the damage to your retinas. Can they actually make a lens to compensate?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    They are all miracle workers Mike. They talk about inserting prisms into lens in specs. Like everything else they're not cheap. I always seem to get yet another pair of glasses that are no better than the previous ones. It's a lot like being mugged I expect.
    Perhaps you should try yoga or pilates for your back problems. I've heard they can make a big difference. (Lycra gear is not compulsory). ;))
  • Member, Beta Tester
    If I got into many of those yoga positions someone would have to help me up. Even getting down on one knee means not getting up. I should get the next surgery. But I don't have a lot of confidence that it will do any good. But my back is very painful.
    My Mom had a prism lens prescription. She was seeing multiple objects. They did work for her. But everyone is different.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Okay. Where is everybody? Are some of you underwater. Did Richard get locked in his green house? What the heck is going on?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Everybody? That's a pretty big word for such a small quantity Mike. Only a tiny percentage of people can manage to have a conversation with themselves, and as I am not quite ready to be confined to a padded cell, there's been no point until just now. Not yet 6am!!!
    I note with dismay and alarm that the "news" channels here have had zero to say about what could potentially be an impending disaster, with the US and Israel engaging in a war against Iran.
    On the plus side, we've been hearing less about Brexit recently. That is because the news is chock a block with electioneering regarding our participation in elections to elect 71 UK wasters to take their seats in the European Parliament with gobshites from all of the other EU countries
  • Member, Beta Tester
    And unlike California, where it's nice yearlong, out here in the hinterlands, it's finally gotten nice. Suppose to be 86F today. Gotta get my bike out of the basement.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It was 79°F here yesterday and we were complaining about the heat. It can't be good for you. On TV today they reported on the rise in popularity of "wild swimming" in lochs and lakes across the country. Apparently swimming in the cold water has health benefits. How about fitting a propellor to your bike? ;)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I was hoping to get a few more bites in response to the message. And maybe some interesting posts too. :)
    California is nice most of the time. We get lots of wind here where I live. Then June gloom is coming. Where it stays overcast almost all day long. And when Ken puts the propeller to his bike. Don't forget the pontoons. Unless you want a submarine type bike.
    And speaking of politics. I am fed up with all of them. They can find more ways to say nothing than any people I know. And get nothing done. I am not sure if that comes under the heading of multitasking. But their lips are flapping. And out comes gibberish. And believe me Ken. This comes from all sides.Perhaps we need to have an investigation into political stupidity!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    You wouldn't have to investigate very far!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The courts would shut it down before it ever got started.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Our lot talk all day and say nothing too Mike. It's an art form. It's incredible just how many subjects they can tell us nothing about and provide us with an in depth analysis whilst divulging absolutely sod all. You'd think it was none of our business.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Noticed that Jeremy Corbyn decided to pull his party out of any Brexit talks. That's a good way to get things done. We have the same problem over here. Just say no. It seems to work well in finding solutions. And now the word liar is being widely used to offer counter an opinion you don't like. Bring back the guillotine!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    What's happening these days is getting pretty close to anarchy Mike. Those who were not elected to power still believe that they are entitled to have their own way every time a decision has to be made. When they don't get their own way they behave like spoited brats and try to wreck anything that doesn't agree with how they'd have done it. The idiom used in the UK is "to throw your toys out of the pram". What a fitting description.
    Most people believe that the guillotine was a French invention, but they came to England (Grimsby I believe) to see a similar device and just modified it. We were shown the blade on TV recently so it's just lying there doing nothing at the moment. They'd probably let you borrow it. ;))
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Well, the Dems are losing their heads over Trump figuratively, they might as well do it literally, right, Mike? They should make it a televised event on Fox News. Can you imagine the ratings it would get?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Your pal San Heughan (Jamie from Outlander) is tipped to be the next James Bond Ken. He's also favourite to replace Ben Affleck as Batman.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Good choice for 1st one (even though Idris Elba would be another good choice); not so sure about the 2nd one.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Agreed in both cases, also we've had a black President so why not a black 007? :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I believe I have said before. That I watch all kinds of news channels. CNN, MSNBC, FOX. French News when it's on. The BBC. Korean and Japanese news when it's either subtitled or in English. And one called DW news and one called Democracy Now. I read the redacted Mueller report. I often get a different take on what the channels tell me. And especially what the politicians are saying Two years ago I heard one side say one thing. And now they turn around and say different. When are people going to wake up and understand what the fools in office are. It dose not matter to me where the guillotine was invented. Just send one over here. Perhaps more than one. So we can get rid of them all faster.
    On another subject. I don't know how fast we can get our carbon emissions down. We we could at least get started on cleaning up the worst pollution areas in the oceans. I lost a pair of flip-flops. I am sure they are floating around somewhere. Here in the US we have cleaned up some of the badly polluted rivers and bays. Get started world.
    No opinion about James Bond. I haven't watched one since George Lazenby.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    What do you think about Elizabeth Warren declining to go on Fox News?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    News presenters just voice the political opinions of their various puppet masters Mike. We are told what they want us to hear and what they want us to believe. None of it actually needs to be true as long as some of their audience believes their speil and people continue to tune in.
    My analogy would be to ask Americans which brand of cigarettes they smoke, how they chose them and why they continue to be loyal to those brands. You will get a wide selection of answers and opinions, none of which matter one iota. The bottom line is that none of them are any good and that they are all harming you cumulatively every time you buy into their garbage. The companies that peddle this muck don't give a damn as long as they continue to get their market share. Every other country has their own favourite brands of cancer-sticks. One thing you can put money on is that their ones are better than yours. They always have been and they always will be. And that's just fags! Up the ante and ask about religion, gun control, abortion, human rights, etc,etc and it won't be opinions you are exchaning, it will be blows.
    You needn't worry about carbon emissions and pollution any longer though guys. It would appear that we are already way past the tipping point. The BBC has produced four, one hour long documentaries called "Earth from Space" Extremely powerful telescopes zoom in from satellites and show footage in intimate detail of every little corner of our planet. Identical footage taken years apart gives you a bird's eye view of the rape and plunder of Earth. You can witness massive swathes of jungle all across the earth just disappearing in front of your eyes. This is terminal. If you can't get people to agree about which brand of fags is killing you the most pleasantly, how the hell do you imagine they are going to reach any consensus about this, particularly as it would involve spending money, as opposed to exploiting the planet to make even mome? That's money they don't need in the first place. They just want much more of it. They are going to be the happiest people in the graveyard.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    We no longer allow advertising of tobacco products on TV or radio. But I get your point. It is very difficult to get the straight news from anywhere. The newspapers put their slant of it. And radio and TV presenters do the same. Cable news is really different. Everyone one is a offering an opinion. Just tell me the story. I'll work out what I think.
    Even though we are past the tipping point in pollution. Doesn't mean that we should stop trying to turn it around. We agree on that. Some of the plans seem ludicrous. But we can still try. It will cost a lot of money to do most of them. But at least we can argue until the end comes.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I totally agree Mike. "The truth is out there", somewhere, but would we even recognise it if we found it? You'd better consult Debie about that. ;))
    You should make every effort to track down "Earth From Space". It's incredible. The power of those satellite telescopes has to be seen to be believed. They even zoomed in on individual animals. Every part of the planet could be examined in detail. The graphics must have involved an enormous amount of work as they showed the identical areas where footage from previous years had been integrated so that we were virtually seeing them in time-lapse photography. You could watch what was virtually pristine areas being transformed as they were cleared to growm Palm Oil Trees, field after field after field of them. You could see the individual trees. They are the scourge of the planet.
    Some areas that had been devastated after being cleared for farming experienced flooding and soil erosion for example, but when communities saw the effects of what they had done they made efforts to reverse the damage. It was wonderful to see such areas getting greener and greener and doing their part to tackle global warming.
    The beauty of this technology is that governments can actually see what is going on in their own countries. It is no longer possible for illegal loggers to clear huge areas of trees without anyone noticing. They cilprits can be caught and prosecuted. =D>
    One thing that stunned me completely was when they showed vast areas of the Sahara Desert covered by snow. Who'd have believed that that was possible? Global warming is the biggest threat mankind has ever faced but too little is being done to tackle it. Some people still don't believe it will harm us. Others like D.T. only accepted it reluctanly when the evidence became overwhelming. Individual people can make small improvements but it is the duty of international governments to throw their combined wealth and expertise at the problem. Oh, I almost forgot, most of them are far too busy bickering about things that are of no importance whatsoever.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Ken, I meant to ask you if you ever did get a composter free of charge. I've been looking at what's available here and have ordered one from Germany. Very cheap plus free shipping !!! Looks decent enough. Once I see how it works I'll probably get two or three more. I can't keep banging on about the environment when there's something I can do to help, even if it is only a little.
    KM.JPG
    513 x 576 - 33K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Ooops! I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. Let me know how you get on with yours and I'll see if they're still available.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Will do. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, Richard's busy with his gardening; I'm busy with my biking and working at the hospital. What are you busy with? How's the wildfire season looking this year? Hopefully, less dry than last year?