Miscellaneous

Answers

• Member, Beta Tester
    Did we discover a secret weapon for détente with the political powers? Musical theater? Maybe Trump could sing, "There Ain't Nothing Like a Dame?" and Nancy Pelosi could sing something from Little Shop of Horrors?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    How about "You’ve Got to Pick a Pocket or Two"?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The result is in. Boris Johnston has been elected to lead the Conservative Party. He wil officially become Prime Minister tomorrow. What you probably don't know is that he was born in New York. Pity he hadn't remained there. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Great. All we needed was another orange haired politician from New York. Or anywhere!
    Fagin is a mandatory course for politicians.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    You can't take all of the blame though Mike. :)

Ken, member Sueparot recommended I watch "Gentleman Jack". I've seen the first 4 episodes and it would suit you and your mother down to the ground. It's a lavish BBC costume drama set mainly in England in the 1830's. The central character is a hard-nosed landowner who is trying to develop a lesbian relationship with a younger aristocrat during the era when homosexuality was a capital offence in England. There is a lot more to it than that though.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Thanks for the tip!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Boris Johnston delivered a fantastically eloquent speech outside #10 this afternoon. Perhaps I was wrong about the man. Perhaps he will be one of those rare politicians who actually delivers on his promises. Most people in the UK would breathe a sigh of relief if we actually leave the EU on the 31st of October as he has promised.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Found this theme song on YouTube Ken. Catchy.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I hope Boris works out for the UK. One small slip. And Corbyn will pipe up again.
    We have our own political nonsense going on here. It seems we just can't stop.
    I like the tune. I will have to listen to some more of them.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Here's another good song!

• Member, Beta Tester
    True. :)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, I'm up to episode 5 on Years After Years. When I was on a chat board discussing this episode, somebody posted this:

So is the monarchy still around? King Charles must be voicing his displeasure. I wonder if Buckingham, Kensington, and all the other royal properties are exempt from the spare bedroom law.

Scotland would probably use the chaos to give Rook a giant FU and declare independence.
    LOL!
  • edited July 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    That's a complicated jumble of misinformation Ken. It's well nigh impossible to figure out what the person meant.
    "Is the monarchy still around?" .... Yes. Obviously. They feature on news programmes across the entire world on a regular basis. Many countries have royal families. Those that don't create similar models with presidents etc. Ours generates massive amounts of wealth through tourism etc and also pay taxes. You have Disney. ;))
    "King Charles must be voicing his displeasure". .... from beyond the grave no doubt. He died in 1685. His displeasure at what? The "bedroom tax" was designed to prevent people who live on state benefits from occupying large Council houses far bigger than they actually need. Larger families were crammed into other Council houses because those larger ones couldn't be freed up. People who pay taxes can have massive houses if they so choose. The bigger your house, the more you'll have to pay in Council Tax. We have a Prince Charles but when he finally takes the throne he will be called King George VII apparently. (It's complicated).
    Scotland cannot legally declare independence even if we wanted to, which most of us don't. We must apply to the UK government (the one that governs all of us) for permission to hold a referendum. That permission is unlikely to be granted for a long time as the last time was touted by the SNP as a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. They are proving very inept in their efforts to govern Scotland through the Scottish Parliament anyway.
    Years After Years is fiction, a bit like The Simpsons and The Flintstones. It's not meant to be taken seriously and no more represents what's happening in the UK than those cartoons represents America. Perhaps you should suggest to the guy that he should try to seperate facts from fiction and not contribute to fake news. :)
    If you possibly can, try to watch the BBC drama, "The Left Behind". It is disturbing on many levels particularly as the basis for it revolves around poverty, homelessness, immigration and the racism and resentment they generate. What frightens me most is that I believe that it forcasts a dramatic rise in nationalism and inter-racial conflict that is already in it's infancy across most of the free world. Indigenous populations are feeeling like second class citizens in their own countries because immigrants are jumping the queues regarding socilal housing etc. Very powerful stuff.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, I guess I should've given you more context. It was not a comment on the current affairs in the UK. It was a comment on the fictional program "Years After Years". Obviously, the commenter knew there is still a royal family in real life (or maybe not, since he said King Charles instead of Price Charles!)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    No problem Ken. :) Anything taken out of context can misconstrued.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Just got done watching the final episode of Years and Years. Anything you wanted to say now that I won't be spoiled? The analogies between Rook and Trump were glaringly obvious. Even their names are both card terms, correct? GREAT SHOW!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    There was indeed a card game named rook. I never knew how to play it. The other rook is in chess. And there is Trump in bridge and several other card games. Like pinochle.
    It is normal for me to be taken out of context. As I don't know what the heck I am talking about.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Think of Rook as a verb and you get to cheat or swindle Mike. Surely a very inappropriate name for a politician. :)
    Yes Ken it is a great show, one of the few I could watch again. You could easily believe something like this happening in either of our countries. Rook answered "They won't let me" to a question she was asked in private. We didn't get a reply to the subsequent question of "Who are "they"?". It's long been rumoured that the world is ruled by a powerful secretive few who manipulate everything to their exclusive advantage. The Illuminati , the Bohemian Club etc. Are our governments really in charge? We couldn't say for dertain that they are.
  • edited July 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    Why in the world would the Illuminati want some of the people who have been the leaders of countries in charge of anything? Now the Skull and Bones club of Yale. They have a real say in whats going on.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Has the bridge ever been washed out before? If no more rains are forthcoming. It could easily be repaired to race over. Then after the race. They could repair it back to almost the original. Almost. Because many of the stones were carried away.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It's the first time as far as I know Mike. The problem is that the UK is getting massive rainfalls due to changing climate. They reported a month's rain in four hours. Far more rain is forecast. Some roads have been washed away. It's not going to be a quick fix. They are showing a farm on the news just now. A river some distance away diverted itself and roared through the farm uprooting trees and flattening walls. They've lost half of their livestock. All time temperature records have been broken all across Europe. This is causing the massive thunderstorms and relentless rainfall.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Gee, just like in Years and Years, right, Richard?
  • edited August 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    Perhaps Ken but this is more like Apocalypse Now. Contains a million cubic metres of water. Rain right now described as "biblical".
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49189955
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I saw your Facebook post about Liz. What a problem. I will have to consult my medical expert.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, if you don't want to post it online, can you e-mail me? I worry about her too.
  • edited August 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    No problem Ken. It occurred to me that because her arm had only been talked about here, people like her grandaughter had no idea she'd even had an accident. I wrote the following

Liz's broken arm. The saga continues. As some of you are aware Liz fell in the garden and broke the humerus in her upper left arm. This was on June 4th. Because of the position of this "bad break" they could only strap her arm to her body in a harness affair and put her arm in a sling. She also had her wrist put into a splint because breaks in the upper arm impact on the radial nerve that controls movement further down. After 4 weeks of this she was admitted to hospital for an operation to screw and plate the break. She has a ten inch wound as a result. The anaeshetic used caused her to have a mild stroke that was noticeable for about a week and was causing great concern. She was discharged after a week after she demanded to go home. She is still wearing a sling and still has the wrist splint. Without it her wrist just flops down and she has no control over it or her fingers. Google "Wrist drop" and you'll see what a serious condition it is and how long it could take to function properly again. The hospital advised the DVLA that she cannot drive and it could be months before this ban is lifted ..... if ever. It's just as well I am a decent cook as this is one of many things she can't do meantime. It's sad having to cut up food for an adult.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Richard, had she had anesthesia before? I'm not allergic to anything but I'm always afraid I'm going to find out I am allergic to something in the worst of circumstances like poor Liz.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    One other nosy question, Richard, how close are the shops to you? If the same thing happened to my Mom and I couldn't drive, the hardest part would be getting groceries as the closest grocery store is two miles away.