Miscellaneous

Answers

• Member, Beta Tester
    Yes she has Ken, but the older you get the riskier it can be. It can aggravate and magnify an otherwise unknown existing problem like a narrowing in a blood vessel. It's said to take a year for the body to remove it completely.
    A guy I knew in Aberdeen told me about a lung operation he'd had under general anaesthetic. He was deliberately wakened whilst still on the operating table. The surgeon appologised profusely and told him that they'd opened up the wrong side of his chest . The anaesthetic wouldn't have been sufficient for them to continue and complete their task so they had roused him. Because the operation was of a very serious nature he couldn't be given another general for several months and that they now had no option other than to open up the other side of his chest and continue using local anaesthetics. Imagine!
    Shopping is no problem at all. We have been getting weekly shopping deliveries for about four years. It's actually a great way to shop. I frequently find genuine deals that we'd probably overlook if shopping in-store. I often find that two half sized cheeses or cooking oils are considerably cheaper than the full size one of the same product. You just assume that the larger one will be the bargain. We could choose deliveries from any one of four supermarket chains. They all offer hourly slots from early morning to late evening 7 days per week.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Good to hear that's one less thing you have to worry about. Back when I was in my early 20's, I didn't have a car, so I had to take the bus to the grocery store. So I had to shop not by price but by the weight of the item. Needless to say, I NEVER bought a gallon of milk! LOL!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    You can also shop for a bride Ken.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    To be as happy as you, Mike? No thanks!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I am so happy. Sometimes it makes me cry.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    The odds of finding two Brides of Frankenstein are rare. You really should start looking around.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    They're so GAY. :-j
  • Member, Moderator, Beta Tester
    Why?
  • edited August 2019 Member, Beta Tester
    Best quote imho was, "If you lose to the team wearing this, you need to wear it until you win another game and then pass it on to the loser". :-j
    Tight lime-green pants ! :-&
  • Member, Beta Tester
    These colors make it easier to tell your team mates from the other team. Or possibly. They just want to sell new merchandise to the fans. Or fan. Depending on the team.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Spot on Mike. There is no actual need for teams to be constantly changing their strips other than making some fat cats richer.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Gregg, sorry I brought this up. Good luck to the Spartans this year!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    What! Not jibes and retorts? You disappoint me. Here is an obvious and embarrassing one I'd anticipated. Scotland football fans called it goofy pink. (typo) ;))
    Pink.JPG
    626 x 498 - 70K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    We also had these. The players looked like they were wearing mini skirts.
    skirts.JPG
    484 x 508 - 51K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Any seagull problems near you, Richard?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49096417
  • Member, Beta Tester
    No we don't. One of our neighbours has a big beak though if that counts.
    In the north east of Scotland seagulls are known less than affectionally as spite hawks. (another typo). ;)) Generally they are a noisy nuisance but in many coastal towns they swoop down and rob people of chips etc bought from burger vans. Some people acrually encourged them to do so and now the birds have learned from one another where they can steal an easy meal. They have no predators and have become far too numerous since they became protected by law. Gone are the days when chicken bought from Chinese and Indian restaurants would be looked at with some suspicion.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I read that it's partially due to climate change. The fisherman aren't hauling in as many fish; they then aren't cleaning as many fish dockside so the seagulls don't have as many scraps to devour and they then are going inland to find more food. I read in The Sun that some have been spotted as far inland as 80 miles!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    "The Sun", that prodigeous publication. :-j
    There is nowhere in the UK that is more than 70 miles from the sea. Gulls benefit from collective intelligence as they tend to live in groups and learn from one another. "11 Jan 2019 - Fish landings at Peterhead topped £200 million for the first time ever last year" so there is no shortage of food for the gulls. All of those fish are gutted and cleaned at sea as they almost always have been. Flocks of gulls shadow the boats and reap the rewards. They do likewise when fields are being ploughed and gorge themselves on worms. They are always on the lookout for an easy meal. Incidentally there is actually no such bird as a seagull. Some UK gull species live and breed far from our coasts.
    On the late night news just now they featured the headline from tomorrow's Sun. "Micro pigs on the moon."
    https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/indestructible-tardigrades-may-be-alive-on-the-moon/ar-AAFrFCE?li=AA4Zor
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Are you saying that The Sun is fake new? Are they like the Fox News of Britain?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Now you have my attention Ken! The fake news is not all on Fox. The other three or four other cable channels do their part. Plus the mainstream news does a good job of it too.
    And those non seagull birds do a good job of making my truck white instead of grey.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, if you ever decide to move to FL, I found a place for you just an hour north of me.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2019/08/07/among-trumps-supporters-in-the-villages-everyone-is-to-blame-except-trump/

Btw, it's near a 50mi bike trail that I've been on numerous times (if you need any more incentive...)
    There is no monopoly on fake news guys. Someone at the Sun must have heard about gulls robbing holidaymakers of food and then sat down and embellished that into a "news story". That person mulled over possible reasons for this and invented the fish shortage story to support the article. To give it wider reader appeal he or she reported that even people 80 miles from the sea were at risk, easily provable to be a complete lie. These gull stories have been on the go for many many years as the following link demonstrates. (August 2015).
    https://www.bto.org/community/news/2015-08/gulls-allowed
    Only one of our gull species appears to be responsible, Herring Gulls. Smaller gull species avoid them as they would readily steal their eggs and eat their young. They move inland to evade them.

We were shown footage yesterday of demonstrations in the US against Trump's stand on white supremacy etc.. I laughed as the Trump dummy one had created . It had a Pinnochio nose. :-j
  • Member, Beta Tester
    There are only old folks in that village Ken. I would not fit in.
    Our gulls go inland quite a ways. Usually to a dump site. But most seem happy to stay around the beach. And their nesting grounds are close by in our channel islands.
    We all know people in politicians tell lies. Trump has been accused of many. And some are true. But really. Stating that the country has a GDP rise of 10% instead of 9% really should not be counted as a lie. And the regular politicians can't seem to come up with a true number of how much the Mueller report cost. Some say 30 million dollars others say 22 million and others fill in numbers between those figures. Are they lying? Most of Trump's so called lies are just exaggerations. He likes to boast. So do I. Is it Presidential. No. But that's Trump. Some people can't figure it out. And my nose hasn't got any longer. But it has gotten bigger.
    BTW. I am down to 200 lbs from 230. The secret. Stop eating.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Trump's not all bad, that's for certain. He's doing what he said he would in his electioral campaign. He gets things done despite all of the obstacles the opposition party puts in his way, some more justifiable than others. He boasts and exaggerates. I can live with that. He's far from alone there. He gets blamed for everything apart from the weather. The problem is that practically everybody is either pro or anti Trump. BOTH sides believe what they want to believe. Everybody's talking but nobody is listening. I am currently about 60% pro Trump

Well done with the weight loss Mike. I weighed myself just now. First time in about 5 years I think. 173 pounds. No need to stop eating. Just look at the fat and sugar contents of things before you buy them. I was getting through one small snack size tub of cheesecake per day until recently. That stopped when I saw they are 74% saturated fats and sugars.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    WOOOHOOO! Just read that Orange County in SoCal for the first time in 40 years now has more registered Democrats than Republicans! Isn't that county close to where you live, Mike? Get with your neighbors and do the right thing!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, just read an article that said you guys suck in even years and do great in odd years. So this is your year! USA Today has MSU 3rd in the Big 10 and Iowa's right behind at #4.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Real or fake news Ken. :-j That's the problem. How can you tell?
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I do great every year. Perhaps it was Gregg's team you were thinking of.
    Yes. Orange County California has become more full of Democrats. There are many reasons. Most of which I will not go into here. Most Republican candidates won't even run in California. They just have no chance of getting elected. Our new Governor is the worst one yet. Just another thing to suffer through.
    Trump has to get the tariff thing straightened out before the elections. And something is going to have to happen with Iran. I think the Republicans are being over confident. Trump has indeed tried to make his campaign promises happen. Even though he has been fought at every chance. And it will never end. He has proven to be a good statesman. Meeting with every world leader he can. Many of his statements have been turned and spun into so many different meanings. No one seems to know what he actually said. He has never been perfect. No President has ever been. But he really is trying to do a good job. And it will be interesting to see. When he leaves office. If he can look back see how he might have done some things differently. Obama sure hasn't.
    There was a parallel discusion in our news yesterday regarding a huge rise in the reported (critical word) number of Labour Party members as opposed to Conservative ones. One of the analysts cautioned that it depended to a great degree on how the party counted its members. A great many of them were likely to be lapsed members, some going back decades. Many of them were likely to be Scottish despite the fact that Labour got kicked into oblivion here. Recent by-elections etc would suggest that Labour will get a tanking in the next general election and that Trotskist Jeremy Corbyn is about as popular as herpes even with traditional Labour supporters. Labour Party MP's are jumping ship and deserting him. His only opinions on anything have been the exact opposite of what the government wanted. He even said on several occasions that he was going to vote "No" when alternatiives were offered by the government despite the fact that he hadn't even heard them yet. Another analyst mentioned that the Conservative Party vetted would-be members thoroughly before allowing them to join. Higher standards than Labour who would will let anyone join. So there you have it. Lies, damned lies and statistics yet again. Love him or loathe him, at least you know when you stand with Mr.Trump. He is a better president than "No we can't" Obama. Could you see him standing toe to toe with the leaders of Russia, China, North Korea or Iran? The answer is NO.

Predictions ..... Very soon, Jeremy Corbyn will instigate a "Vote of no confidence" in the government here. The governmant will lose. The loony left will expect Boris to stand down, but he won't. He will play his unbeatable ace card. He, and only he, can decide when that election will take place. Put every last dime you can muster on that date being AFTER he has taken us out of the EU with or without a deal. All of the years Corbyn has spent trying to force an election will have been in vain. All of the years that the 26 bullies of the EU have spent trying to force a crap deal on us will also have been in vain. It is going to dawn on them quite soon that they have more to lose than we do if there is no deal. Exciting times. =D>