Miscellaneous

Answers

• Member, Beta Tester
    I did a silly walk today going down the stairs. I didn't mean to. But it happens when you miss one.
    Jeremy Corbyn needs to come to the US. He will get a standing ovation at all the democratic rallies.
  • edited September 7 Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, if we send him do you promise to keep him? Two or three decades would suffice.

Ken, I knew I had a decent photo of the fountain inside the courtyard at Linlithgow Palace. It would have sat inside an ornate bowl. It is not used as a fountain these days due to acid rain erosion. Sign of the times.
    Linlithgow Palace fountain.JPG
    800 x 600 - 155K
  • Member, Beta Tester
    NICE!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    But we will send Trump over to you. A trade policy gone wrong.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It's a deal! We'll throw in his deputy and half a dozen others entirely free of charge. I hear Guantanamo is nice this time of year. Oh happy day! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
  • Member, Beta Tester
    There is plenty of room at the Hotel Guantanamo. We can send lots of politicians there.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I received an email this morning from Sue Parot. What an insight. I know she'll not mind if I share it.

"Is it just a coincidence Boris’ strategy is mirroring that of Trump?

1 Make a controversial promise. ..... Build a Wall / Exit EU end Oct.
    2 Create the belief he’s saving the country from the evil ‘enemy’ ..... Mexico / EU
    3 Polarise his supporters / non supporters.
    4 Ridicule the opposition with personal, humiliating attacks on them.
    5 Have a hissy fit when he doesn’t get his own way. Stamps his feet in temper, starts bullying everyone, issuing ultimatums. ‘Do it my way or I’ll shut down the government.’
    6 Shuts down government!
    7 Sacks everyone who doesn’t agree with him."
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It's a new form of government sweeping the world. Don't forgot about the Brazilian president--letting farmers strip the Amazon, not caring if it burns, getting agitated when France and others offer to help, saying nasty, personal things about his rivals, etc
  • edited September 9 Member, Beta Tester
    I see you have used the word "government" in its loosest possible context Ken. ;))

I watched the BBC movie "In the loop" last night .
    "Contains very strong language".
    All of the very strong language they warned about emanated from two Scottish guys. Type-cast an entitre nation by all means. One of them warned one of your senior diplomats with, "NEVER call me English again".
    More type-casting with the big fat US general?
    Called Miller.
    Some great one-liners.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfilms/film/in_the_loop
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Our Labour Party's anthem, "Keep The Red Flag Flying High".
    Sung to this tune.

This Labour Party, it must be said,
    Shadow cabinet, living dead.
    And yet with limbs both stiff and cold
    Their party banner they'd unfold.

They'd raise their jaded flag up high
    Beneath its folds they wonder why
    The voters flinch and rivals jeer
    Don't want their damned flag flying here

Dragging low along the ground
    Their white surrender flag is found.
    Election, chicken Corbyn fears
    Despite de-manding one for years

Just ignore the things they say
    Break every promise anyway
    So stick your red flag once again.
    Somewhere it will cause most pain.
    -----------------
    Do American political parties have official anthems? Just asking. >:)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Headline in the Guardian:
    "Scottish judges rule Boris Johnson's suspension of parliament unlawful"

At least someone in the UK is sensible...
  • Member, Beta Tester
    We'll have to wait and see if the Supreme Court agrees. Far too many people playing silly beggars.
  • edited September 11 Member, Beta Tester
    To clarify,
    Scottish Law is different to English Law. It always has been.
    The English High Court recently ruled that Boris had acted legally. The Scottish High Court decided otherwise. The matter will now go to the UK Supreme Court.
    The smart money will be on the final decision being that what Boris & Co did is entirely lawful. The reasoning behind this is because proroguing parliament is not a legal matter, it's a political one and hence the courts have no jurisdiction.
    We have a contest between rogues and scoundrels who are only interested in scoring points off one another. What the public wants and has voted for rarely enters their warped little minds. They have games to play. :(
    The BBC movie "In the Loop" showed political chaos, devious deals and back stabbing in both our countries. I suspect that it is frighteningly close to the truth.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    To politicians worldwide ...... (Do not click if easily offended).

• Member, Beta Tester
    “This is why presidential debates are becoming unwatchable,” Buttigieg said. “This reminds everybody of what they cannot stand about Washington. Scoring points against each other, poking at each other.”

Remarkably similar to what I wrote here days ago...... "We have a contest between rogues and scoundrels who are only interested in scoring points off one another". Nice to know that Buttigieg agrees with me. :)

Apparently your bunch comprises over 40% of lawyers too. Vote for me or I'll sue you.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Mike, I thought you would get a charge out of this:

The DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION SCHEDULE has been released.
    July 13, 2020

11:15 AM
    Free lunch, medical marijuana, and bus ride to the Convention.
    Forms distributed for Food Stamp enrollment.

2:30 PM
    Group Voter Registration for Undocumented Immigrants.

4:00 PM
    Opening Flag Burning Ceremony
    Sponsored by CNN

4:15 PM
    Address on "Being the Real You"
    Rachel Dolezal, former Head of the Seattle NAACP and
    Caitlyn Jenner

4:30 PM
    "How to Bank $200 Million as a Public Servant and Claim to be Broke"
    Hillary Clinton

4:45 PM
    “How to have a successful career without ever having a job, and still avoid paying taxes!”
    A Seminar Moderated by Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson

5:00 PM
    Medals of Freedom presentation to Army deserter Bo Berghdal
    Baltimore Looters

5:30 PM
    Invitation-only Autograph Session
    Souvenir photographs of Elizabeth Warren dressed in Native American clothing

5:45 PM
    Tribute to All of the 57 States
    Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi

6:00 PM
    General vote on praising Baltimore rioters, and on using the terminology "Alternative Shoppers" instead of "Looters"

7:30 PM
    Announcement of VP Nominee - Stacy Abrams
    Former Ambassador to Chris Stevens with a quick a post-mortem rebuttal

8:30 PM
    The White House "Semantics Committee" Meeting
    General vote on re-branding "Muslim Terrorism" as "Random Acts of Islamic Over-Exuberance"

9:00 PM
    “Liberal Bias in Media – How we can make it work for you”
    Tutorial sponsored by CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times with Guest Speaker, Don Lemon

9:15 PM
    Tribute Film to the Brave Freedom Fighters still incarcerated at GITMO
    by Michael Moore

9:45 PM
    Personal Finance Seminar - "Businesses Don't Create Jobs"
    Hosted by speaker Barack Obama

10:00 PM
    Group Condemnation of Bitter Gun Owners.

10:30 PM
    Ceremonial “We Surrender” Waving of the White Flag

11:00 PM
    Short film, "Setting Up Your Own Illegal Email Server While Serving in A Cabinet Post and How to Pretend It's No Big Deal"
    Hosted by Hillary Clinton

11:30 PM
    Official Nomination of Kamala Harris
    Bill Maher and Chris Matthews

12:00 Group apology for being white.

(See? I can laugh at myself!)
  • Member, Beta Tester
    But you will still vote for a Democrat. I still cannot believe that people really believe what politicians say. Trump has done some of the things he said he would do. But he needs to finish off the tariff mess. I don't think he really knew what he was getting in to with the Chinese. Or the North Koreans. But he decided to take them on. Mostly I am tired of both sides. But your list is very good.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I completely agree Mike. I too am sick to death of the whole sorry bunch of them.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It takes a certain type of person to run for public office. An egotist. Certainly. Someone who enjoys the spotlight. And in most cases. Someone who can take the dirty jabs by the opposition. That's why today some good people do not run. As for me. I could not stand all the meetings and photo ops. And waiting in a line to listen to some other idiot talk. I don't know what the answer is. We need better candidates. That is for sure.
  • edited September 15 Member, Beta Tester
    "I eat lots of chocolate.I have Nestle's condensed milk on my cereal in the morning and sugar in my coffee." What a woman!
    https://www.entertainmentdaily.co.uk/entertainment/britains-got-talent/85-year-old-salsa-dancer-paddy-reveals-secret-long-healthy-life-chocolate/

Same show ... Disabled British comedian Jack Carroll, "I use Facebook rather than Twitter. I'd rather get a birthday message from someone who didn't mean it than a death threat from someone who did".
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Today I watched several hours of a House of Representatives committee hearing. I heard members of one party trying to get angrier than the last member of their party asking questions of a former Trump campaign manager. He had already been through hours and hours of questioning be other committees as well as investigators from the Mueller team. Then the committee decided to have one of their attorneys have at him for another 30 minutes. All of this resulted in nothing. And this will go on and on with other witnesses. With committee members trying to trick the witness into disclosing some monumental discovery.
    We have a mess on our southern border. Thousands of homeless in our cities. And many other jobs that they are supposed to do. But they keep on trying to find anything that they can blow into a big impeachment plan for Trump. Perhaps if they find that he littered the East Lawn of the White House. That would do it. The politicians of my country are a joke. Both sides better wake up. Or some third party candidate might sneak in.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Almost half of both our countries political representatives are lawyers Mike. The rest of them just think they are. Lawyers get paid by the minute. The longer the show is on the road the more money they "earn". The bottom line is that deep down most of them don't care which side of an argument they are on as long as they win.
    As for a third candidate sneaking in, be careful what you wish for. One has materialised here. A week or two ago nobody had ever heard of her but now every time we put the TV on she is being interviewed. She is now the leader of the Liberal Democrats and their party has adopted the policy of remaining IN the EU. The minute a minor party sniffs a chance of getting more people to vote for them they adopt policies that are popular at that point in time. The only time democracy works well is when one party has a large majority. The other parties can argue as much as they like but still get nowhere. Things get done.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2019/sep/17/jo-swinson-lib-dems-would-revoke-article-50-on-first-day-in-power-video
  • Member, Beta Tester
    It seems a lot of nuts are falling out of the trees. They have crazy plans for all kinds of things. Too many to list.
    Some of ours will be asking everyone to put all of their earnings into one big account. And then they can decide how much each person in the country should receive. Oh. But first they will have to take out for medical care for all. And also for retirement. Which the government will take to pay for raises for the politicians, Which will be one party running everything.
    I don't understand why people buy into some of this stuff. The world is going to end in a few years anyway. I will probably be gone by then. So it really doesn't matter.
    BTW. Has Britain sent any aid to the Bahamas? They keep asking us for stuff. We haven't even fixed Puerto Rico yet.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    That sounds like a fabulous way to run things Mike. I'm surprised other countries haven't thought of it. Oh, wait, didn't that Hitler guy have a similar plan that even incorporated population control? Have your fruit-cakes overlooked that? >:)
    Btw, despite the vast distance involved, Britain was the first country to get aid to the Bahamas. It was formerly a British colony, like America. ;))
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-government-continues-to-support-the-bahamas-relief-effort
  • Member, Beta Tester
    Good for you guys!
  • Member, Beta Tester
    I didn't realize the British ship made it to the Bahamas. Well done.You would think that would get some coverage on the news.
    Some countries are getting rid of their fruitcakes even now.
  • edited September 20 Member, Beta Tester
    Our government should have a Twitter account Mike. ;))
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-government-continues-to-support-the-bahamas-relief-effort
    Fruitcakes would compost very nicely. Only a suggestion.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    All we hear here is that Bahamians are begging help from Trump. And he is refusing. Which is not true.
    There is a list somewhere of all the fruitcakes to plant. I do not have such a list. Nor do I know anyone who actually has one. (My disclaimer in case anyone is reading this) Which we know isn't anyone.
  • Member, Beta Tester
    "News" is just being manufactured these days Mike. Both sides are at it. There is going to be a worldwide shortage of Sodium Chloride because we all need to take a large pinch of salt to accompany everything we hear or see in the media.
    I'll be very interested to hear how the Republican bull-shit machine responds to the rallies taking place across the planet regarding climate change and in particular the insane position Trump has adopted on your nations's behalf. He is just doing a Nero. History remembers Nero as the guy who famously fiddled while Rome burned in a great fire. Nero has become one of the most infamous men who ever lived. Et tu Donald?
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2019/sep/20/climate-strike-global-change-protest-sydney-melbourne-london-new-york-nyc-school-student-protest-greta-thunberg-rally-live-news-latest-updates
  • Member, Beta Tester
    To build a compost pile, start by putting down a layer of carbon, which includes materials like leaves, straw, corn stalks, and small twigs. Then, add a layer of nitrogen on top of that, which can be things like manure, vegetable or fruit waste, politicians, lawters, bankers, grass clippings, and garden debris.