Goodsol.com - Pretty Good Solitaire

Ukrainian Solitaire

I have played over 400 games and never won. Is it really winnable? Can someone give me a winning game number so I can just see it come out please?

Comments

• edited July 2020

#431015937 is winnable 😊 Unfortunately I neglected to save it so I don't know whether or not I won it with "Kings Only" rule for filling empty spaces. I have won it again just now but allowed "any card" to be permissible for filling empty columns.

I have asked Support to clarify the issues I've raised.

• edited July 2020

Years apart.Not a favourite. #1484130944 is a new one. I used any card or group of cards to fill spaces.

• An oldie but a goodie, try #2147483647. Without doubt the easiest of the possible games πŸ˜‰

• I was hoping we would be trying to bury that number once and for all Tom. Didn't we used to refer to it as the cheats charter?

• It is kind of a cheating game number, but it is very useful for testing.

A real game number that is known to be winnable for Ukrainian Solitaire is #370.

• edited July 2020

Yes #370 is a genuine "Kings only" winner. Saved if required.

Guess who's found genuine bug in Ukrainian solitaire? Please see the Beta thread.

• Thanks everyone. I didn't know you could unselect Kings only! Will keep trying

• I also found #370 winnable

• ok, so I am not the only one that finds Ukrainian Solitaire very tough. I tried it a couple of times and don't think that I ever made it past 20 moves or so ... It sounds very much like the Ukrainians to play a game that can hardly be won ... or is it that they just refuse to play Russian Solitaire as a matter of principle?

... if one isn't careful one may end up Double Russian ...

KingOnly sounds like a very harsh rule for this game, but if that is the official way to play it I will just persist ... at least until it becomes the TsarOnly rule ...

• If it's any help, please note that kings can be played onto aces. It can make a difference in some deals.

• ah, yes, indeed ... it allows some more moves...

Still it's diabolical, though ... I managed to loose one game after making only two moves :S ...

... a lot of fun to play regardless ... ;)

• It is intended to be difficult. Many games are, and some are far worse/better than Ukrainian Solitaire. I get bored very quickly if games are not challenging enough. To each his/her own. 😊

• Richardscotland, do you play this game regularly? If so, could you give me an estimate of one in how many games you succeed? A very rough order-of-magnitude indication is more than enough, just so that I know what to expect if I want to continue until I beat it ...

• edited July 2020

I've played it only 12 times and won it three times =25% win rate. I gave you all of my winning numbers.

The games I prefer are all in the Forty Thieves genre. Larry and I have played the first 4000 King of Egypt deals in numerical order and have won a bit more than 835 of them. W will play at least 1000 more before we even consider anything else.

• 😱 What!?!? 25%?!?! ... With king only in empty piles?!?!? A bow my head in respect, sir! ... In that case I am clearly using an incorrect approach ...

... eventually I will also try Forty Thieves, but I still need to build up a bit more courage before I go there, though ;) ...

• edited July 2020

Jo, Have you ever been a politician or a lawyer? πŸ˜‰ This thread opened with someone asking for winnable numbers of Ukrainian Solitaire. Myself and Tom provided a total of three. Subsequently you asked me "how many games you succeed" with Ukrainian Solitaire. My response was 3 from 12, 25%. It wasn't until after that that you added ""with king only in empty piles". That's not what I said, although #370 was won using that rule.

I rarely consult any of the rules for any game but I had played the other numbers legitimately. The default setting for this game allows any card in an empty pile and the results are recorded as wins. It has always puzzled me why people still post heir stats for games like this where there is an option to play with two different rules. People who play with the more difficult option have chosen to do that themselves by checking that in Options. They find themselves competing against stats of players who have not. In truth these should be two separate games because of this small but critical difference in the rules.

To conclude, play which ever option you prefer, the one that gives you most pleasure. There is no wrong way to win this game. Have some fun.☺️

• edited July 2020

πŸ‘οΈ I fully agree ;)

• >I rarely consult any of the rules for any game but I had played the other numbers legitimately. The default setting for this game allows any card in an empty pile and the results are recorded as wins. It has always puzzled me why people still post heir stats for games like this where there is an option to play with two different rules. People who play with the more difficult option have chosen to do that themselves by checking that in Options. They find themselves competing against stats of players who have not. In truth these should be two separate games because of this small but critical difference in the rules.

Note that this is only true of the Windows version; the Mac, iPad, and iPhone versions of Pretty Good Solitaire have separate "bonus" games with the different rules, rather than options that change the winnability of a particular game.

• Cheers Gregg. PGS should follow "suit". It makes much more sense.