Goodsol.com - Pretty Good Solitaire

Transferring backup statistics in Windows 10 not working

My Goodsol directory is saved on my machine but also gets backed up using a cloud service. When some of the files in the goodsol directory on my Windows 10 machine became corrupt, (C:\users\[Windows User name]\AppData\Roaming\Goodsol\Pretty Good Solitaire) I deleted the directory on my machine and pasted in a backup copy from the cloud service. It was pasted into a new version of the same ..\goodsol directory.

I started GoodSol to play FreeCell (my main game in which I have 14K victories and no defeats), it showed the correct number of victories with no losses. But when I played a game of freecell and won, it showed only a single victory, having lost the record of all the earlier ones. What else needs to be done to transfer statistics besides transferring that goodsol directory?

Comments

• >My Goodsol directory is saved on my machine but also gets backed up using a cloud service. When some of the files in the goodsol directory on my Windows 10 machine became corrupt, (C:\users\[Windows User name]\AppData\Roaming\Goodsol\Pretty Good Solitaire) I deleted the directory on my machine and pasted in a backup copy from the cloud service. It was pasted into a new version of the same ..\goodsol directory.

This sounds like a reasonable strategy, as long as the backup was not taken after some of the files were already corrupted. (Alas, this is a flaw with automated backups, although if several iterations were kept, you may be fine.)

>I started GoodSol to play FreeCell (my main game in which I have 14K victories and no defeats), it showed the correct number of victories with no losses. But when I played a game of freecell and won, it showed only a single victory, having lost the record of all the earlier ones. What else needs to be done to transfer statistics besides transferring that goodsol directory?

That should be enough. Most likely, the problem is a simple mistake. Double-check that the folder name does not have any errors; one place it can be easy to make a mistake is with the 'Pretty Good Solitaire' part, because the spaces can cause issues. Another place where there can be an honest mistake is playing with a different player name (or just the wrong player altogether).

If you have verified that everything is correct here, then go to that folder and look at the size of the '<player>_FreeCell.log' file; sorting by file size (largest to smallest) should bring it near the top. With 14K victories, that should be roughly 500K. If that file is very small, then the results are already gone, and you will need to find another (older) backup file.

I hope this helps, and that the solution turns out to be simple. If not, please let us know.

Gregg 🐵