Categories / Groups Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Categories / Groups « Previous Next »

Brita von Bartenwerffer (Brita)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Brita

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:00 pm:   

Hello,

there are many different categories in PGS like "All Games", "Most Popular" etc. I know I can create new categories and have done so.

I would like to see two new features in some future version of PGS:

1) Two categories called "Played" and "Not yet played" which just looks at the statistics each time the program starts up and places the games accordingly. It would also be ok if I can start a game from the statistics overview, because no wins and no losses obviously mean I haven't played it yet. Still, the first solution would be better because it gives some hints about what type of game it is.

2) An overview which tells me which categories any one game belongs to, e.g. I would like to see at one glance that "Miss Milligan" can be found in:
- Spider type
- Two Deck Games
- Small table Games
- Medium Games
- Skill/Luck Balance
- Favorite
- (user created category)
- (user created category)
Why? Well, e.g. I like Two Deck Games but when choosing one I can't see which of those are in any of my user created categories or whether it's a favorite or not. I also like Klondike type games but can't see at a glance whether it's a two deck game or not.

Do you think it might be possible some day?

Brita
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Kjell

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 4:59 pm:   

Brita, (same name as my wife, who has played Penguin more than 35000 times!)

Your request illustrates that different people find their pleasure with PGS different ways, which is fine. While you ask for a lot of different information about games, probably because you play so many different ones, I am perfectly happy with what we have.

I always work from my 'most played' list. That list has some 30 different titles, but all the first seven, I have played more than 1000 times, and I don't need to be reminded what they are. The last seven, on the other hand, I have played less than 10 times. Those are the ones I tried and didn't care much for. In the in-between category, there are some recent discoveries which are on their way to the top level.

How do I discover new games? Sometimes, the feature games in Thomas'newsletters sound interesting enough for a try. Seven by Seven is one of those, now played over 500 times. I think this forum is a great idea, and I can very well expect some of y'all (I am an old Swede, living in the South!)speaking so enthusiastically about one of your favorites that I am tempted to give it a shot.
Ken Millar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 1:09 am:   

I would like to expand on Brita's idea of categories of games played/not played. Since my goal is to win every game of PGS500 at least once, I would like to see categories of games won/not won. Is that possible in future editions of PGS500?
Brita von Bartenwerffer (Brita)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Brita

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 2:07 am:   

Kjell,

most of the time I love PGS just as it is. I've been a registered user for about six years now, starting with PGS 2.2 I think. I'm absolutely addicted to my wizard created game "Scheidungsgrund" and have spend many hours playing it.

Only now I felt that PGS has so many different games I should try out most of them. Partly because there are so many great games, partly because I feel somewhat stupid never trying a never game, there might be one I might become equally addicted to. I would like to try each game at least once but while I can see in "most played" which games I have played yet there is no way of finding out which I haven't played yet (except for the statistics window). Plus the most played list gets rather crowded when I have played most games.

I've got some books on patience games at home, but since they are mainly German it's a bit difficult to find the games in PGS as I don't know the English/American names for those. I mean who would have guessed that the windows solitaire game, called "Harfe" (harp) in German would be Klondike?!

On its way to be a new favorite game is "Napoleon's Square" at the moment which I rediscovered yesterday night. I have been playing it all evening so I had to get up somewhat earlier today to do the housework before going to work...

Brita

PS: Please say hello to your wife for me. It doesn't happen very often that I meet someone who has the same name as me. It's not a common one in Germany, usually it's spelled Britta here.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:15 am:   

Brita,

Thanks for the suggestions!

>I would like to see two new features in some future version of PGS:
>1) Two categories called "Played" and "Not yet played"

The Most Played group essentially is the same thing as a Played group, but a "Not Played" group could be added.

>2) An overview which tells me which categories any one game belongs to

There are already a few categories listed, but there could be more. In particular, putting the number of decks on the main screen is a good idea, something I've been meaning to do for some time. There's certainly room for it. As for the rest, if user created categories and others start getting added in then there may be space problems on the interface. I'll have to think about that.
Audrey G Schnell (Paxinc)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Paxinc

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   

Thomas: Which category is Racing Aces in? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks. Bye Audrey

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:17 am:   

Audrey,

Aside from the All Games group, it's in the Regular Table games group. It's not in any of the major categories of games.
Audrey G Schnell (Paxinc)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Paxinc

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 9:53 am:   

My question was unclear, Thomas. I need to know its grade eg hard, very hard, etc. Bye Audrey

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 9:12 am:   

Audrey,

Racing Aces is listed as Hard, Mostly Skill.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration