Tableau going off screen Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Tableau going off screen « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Debbie Tullo
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 206.158.178.20
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 6:53 am:   

I'm not really sure how to word this question. Or the subject! :-)I've noticed that when the tableau stacks get really long they go off the screen and you can't see what is at the bottom. I've played others solitaire games that sort of condense them so that you can always see the bottom of the stack. Is that something that is possible in PGS?

Thanks,
Debbie

(Message approved by admin)
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 432
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 1:36 pm:   

This is an old question. You not only don't see the cards, you also can't move them if there's a wrong card dealed, which you don't see. In Most Popular Solitaire the cards do condense, see if it has the games you like. It also helps somewhat to play with smaller cards, though I personally don't like that. Sometimes I drag away the lower toolbar, if there's only one card too low.
Debbie Tullo (Dtullo)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Dtullo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 7:45 pm:   

Thanks Rachel for responding. It doesn't bother me enough to make me want to stop playing PGS. I was just wondering. I've played lots of different solitaire games and PGS is the best I've found.

And sorry if this has been asked a bunch before. I couldn't figure out what to search for. :-)
Melissa Boccia (Melissa_b)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Melissa_b

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 4:33 am:   

You can select your card size to "small" as well; this will make the cards really tiny. I've had that same problem playing double and triple scorpion. An easy fix.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 968
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 10:02 am:   

There are 2 things you can do when a pile goes off the screen:

1) Change to a bigger screen resolution. You can change screen resolutions from the Options menu (not button) on the main screen. A larger screen
resolution gives much more room.

2) Change the card size to a smaller card size. To change the card size, click on the Options button on the main screen, go to Cards and Decks area. Smaller cards allow many more cards to fit on the screen.

Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   

Card size probably won't help too much, especially in games like (and I agree with Melissa, this one's a real problem) Triple Scorpion. I'm using auto-size, and I presume that in this game, it's already using the smallest possible cards.

As for screen resolution, ages ago I asked Thomas if it was possible to add resolution-setting to a within-game option, in addition to the main menu. And he agreed it was worth looking into. I take it this turned out to be unworkable? Or maybe it just got side-tracked by work on other improvements?

Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 8:01 am:   

I think card size is a real issue! I still do not understand why Crazy Quilt can be played with large cards in MPS, and it fits the screen; while in PGS, only tiny cards are available, and they can no longer be enlarged, (but when I could do that, the game ran off the bottom of the screen). I tried Triple Scorpion, and I can see why it has to have tiny cards, but it is no fun to play for that reason, so I will not play it, though I like and play Scorpion and Double Scorpion.

I guess everyone has his/her own interests in the games. I want only to achieve high scores to post, and find game averages of no value. I want cards as big as possible in order to develop strategy, or see moves quickly - guess that comes from playing Action Sol. I am just glad to have PGS and AS,(and MPS for playing Crazy Quilt). Thanks for the best solitaire games of all!

Post Number: 970
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   

There isn't going to be any changes on this issue until the next generation PGS is available.

The reason PGS and MPS (Most Popular Solitaire) are different is that PGS is the cumulation of 10 years of coding and has a lot of very old code and is constrained by design decisions made 10 years ago. MPS, on the other hand, is brand new and is a complete rewrite of the basic solitaire engine.

MPS is the first iteration of our new solitaire platform that will eventually become the center of all of our solitaire products. (Actually, Action Solitaire was the very first iteration, as MPS is based off of AS code, and if you really want to go back, AS was based off of Pretty Good MahJongg code, so PGMJ started it all).

MPS only has 30 games and is lacking many of PGS's features, but eventually these features will be added in and the games built up so that we will have a complete rewrite of PGS and it will be greatly improved. There will also be other benefits, such as the possibility of a port to the Mac, which is currently impossible with PGS because of technical reasons.

Soon you will see new products and changes to old products as we build up the new solitaire engine. This is a process that will probably take some considerable time, so we are doing it in small steps.

Diana Wu (Diana)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Diana

Post Number: 194
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 6:57 pm:   

And we will help you all the way long, Thomas! :-)

Tom Maynard
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.13.120.116
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:07 am:   

Does a thread exist where we can post features desired in the new PGS?

Naturally, you would not be required to implement them, but it might be enlightening to see what the users would like to have.

For example, I'd love to see a more "fuzzy" card placement algorithm. In some games, just moving a card a few pixels is enough to have it fly to a position. In others, it will take me 3-5 click-and-drags to get a card to stay where I want it.

Post Number: 996
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:24 am:   

Tom,
There is no real thread for suggested features, but we can create one.

Right now, we aren't adding any major new features to PGS. This is because eventually there will be a completely re-written PGS will all new code (as opposed to the current PGS which has 10 year old code). This is going to take awhile, though.

Once the new version is ready, though, we'll be looking at a lot of new features.
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:02 am:   

I think that what Tom Maynard needs isn't a major new feature, as many of the games do let the cards move easily. Some others need the mouse to be positioned very exactly on a point that's undefined for the player. That's beside the "decision" where to place the card when there are several options.
Ken Millar
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.247.215.44
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   

I know what Tom and Rachel are talking about. Currently, my favorite game is Blind Patience, and if you don't have the card EXACTLY placed where you want it to go, it flies off somewhere else. It is really quite annoying!

Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 442
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:19 am:   

That's strange,I play a lot of Blind Patience too, and I can place a card very far away (farther than I ever actually do) and it gets to the intended pile. I have the problem in Big Dozen, the Cells on top, there it's difficult to make the cards stay in place, they are strongly attracted by the Tableau.
Diana Wu (Diana)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Diana

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   

I have the same issue as Ken. The game I am referring to is Stepping Stone. If I don't place the card exactly from tableau to tableau, most of the time the card jumps to the cells above. It is really annoying!
Rachel Cohen (Rachel)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 443
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   

Diana, thanks for reminding me of this nice game. I notice that I can click on any place on the card to drag it to any place I choose, even if I place it half on the neighboring card, but every right-click sends it straight to the cells.
Audrey G Schnell (Paxinc)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Paxinc

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   

I see it in 7 Devils,but, I think that I'll never win it, anyway. Bye Audrey
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 3:01 am:   

Hi Audrey
try 1667951616 for 7 devils

good luck
Paul

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration