Games in Reverse Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Games in Reverse « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mary Tindle (Yoda)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Yoda

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 12:52 am:   

Now that you have 3& 4 deck games, can you please see if you can get games going in reverse. Most of the 'building' games, ie Klondike, Freecell, 40 Thieves, you start with the Ace and work up, can you look into starting with the King and work downwards? You could add a couple of hundred games to PGS this way!!!
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 1:34 pm:   

There are a couple of existing games that build on the foundations down instead of up. See The Spark (which is Busy Aces backwards) and Kingsley (which is Klondike backwards).

Reversing the building doesn't really make for an interesting game, other than the novelty of it. It doesn't really add anything to the game.
rachel cohen (Rachel)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Rachel

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 2:16 pm:   

I used to play Rangoon before I connected to the internet, that means before PGS. It's Gaps starting from kings, down to Aces. Sometimes I still try to play in the wrong order.
But doubling games to have both directions doesn't really introduce any New game. 550 games is such a large number, that many are overlooked, and I think only really different games should be added. Like the Virginia Reel etc. which are something new and different.
Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 6:03 pm:   

I spent so many years playing the "standard" pattern of playing up in foundations and down in tableaus, that I find when I'm playing, e.g., Kingsley, I find it very difficult to remember that I'm supposed to be playing "backward".

That's one reason I like the Canfield family -- they all play in the direction I'm used to, but most of them start their foundations with in effect a random value. Makes for a nice compromise between ease of play and variety.
Mary Tindle (Yoda)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Yoda

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 12:46 am:   

It shows that our brains are set in a certain way,to go forward, starting at one or ace, when I play double 5's, and start with a random card, I too, forget where I am at in the sequence, it was just a thought, thanks for the response, and I will try Kingsley.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 10:16 am:   

>I find it very difficult to remember that I'm supposed to be playing "backward".

Yes, Kingsley and The Spark are difficult because you have to change your thinking around. If it added something to the game, it would be interesting, but it really doesn't so it's just a difference that doesn't really make the game more exciting.

>they all play in the direction I'm used to, but most of them start their foundations with in effect a random value

That does make the game different. Actually, what really adds to the game is the few games where you can choose the starting base card of the foundations. This can add strategy to the game because it might be better to start with one number rather than another. A few examples of this are Chessboard, Dutchess, Terrace and Selective Canfield.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration