Auto-sizing in newest version Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Auto-sizing in newest version « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Mike Bailin (Mikeb)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Mikeb

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:33 am:   

Hi,

I've just updated to the new version, released yesterday or today, and found one (actually two) interesting changes in addition to the new games, which I haven't even looked at yet.

Apparently in Martha, and possibly other games which we haven't yet played after updating, the "engine" has changed its mind about what's the proper deck size to use when you select auto-size.

Formerly Martha selected small cards which have lots of working room, but now it uses "standard" cards which could be a problem on 800x600. If one or more tableaux on the upper become lengthy, they could block cards in the lower row from being selected and moved.

Was this change deliberate, or is it possibly a new glitch? I prefer to use global auto-sizing and a single screen resolution, rather than having to set these for individual games.

On the positive side, this is the first upgrade I've encountered which finally remembers ALL existing preferences set before the upgrade. In particular, I'd commented before that on my system, the background color needed re-done each time there was an upgrade even though all other preferences (and histories) seemed to be intact.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   

Mike,

Yes, there are major changes in Version 12 in regards to card sizing. When set to automatic, the game is always going to try to use the largest possible size of cards that will fit in the game window.

Which size it chooses is based on how much space the particular game requires, how big the game window is, and the screen resolution.

Martha is a small table game, meaning that it doesn't require that much space. Now possibly it should be a medium table game because of the two rows of cards, but on my computer at 1280x1024 it plays pretty well with the huge size cards. It might be tight on 800x600, but not many people still use that resolution these days.

Elyna Macklin (Nenmack)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Nenmack

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 7:26 am:   

I have downloaded the new version 12 and I can not get the cards to be standard size in Fred's Spider. I have clicked on standard but it just keeps going ultra small and I am having difficulty reading the cards. Anyone have a solution.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   

Elyna,

If choosing a card size doesn't increase the size of the cards, then the cards must be the largest possible size for that game and window size already.

You may be able to make the cards larger if you 1) make the window bigger (or full screen), or 2) change to a larger screen resolution. Either of these will create more space to allow larger cards.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration