Triple Peaks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Triple Peaks « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Shawn Strauss (Shawnstrauss)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Shawnstrauss

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   

I have played 138,210 games of Triple Peaks and won 77,580 games for a winning percentage of 56.1% and have amassed 3 million some odd points. After I got to about 100,000 games it seems to me the games are getting harder to win. My winning percentage was about 56.6% at the time and it's dropped to 56.1% now. Is it just my imagination? I know, I know, get a life right?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 10:24 pm:   

Hi Shawn. I am not a math expert. In fact I hate math. But it would seem to me that when you have played as many games as you have. If you lose four or five or ten in a row your percentage will drop. All that will happen is that you should go on a winning streak and and the percentage will jump back up. And now a word from the math people.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 4:44 am:   

Hi Sean (I'll use the Scottish/Irish spelling), This subject has been raised several times. The software does not know which games are winnable and which are not, so it cannot feed you a whole lot of difficult ones in order to scupper your stats. It's just a run of bad luck. You've probably had several runs of good luck too, but it's only the bad ones that stick in our minds.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 478
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 5:00 am:   

Hi
I found a strange anomoly on this game as well with the 'total score'
if you lose a game and hit new game scoring is usual like when you win a game.
but the trick is to exit the game then play it again so the losing game will be played again and then hit new game, you surprising get 50 points for each card you can play on the first move. so if you are lucky enough to be able to play 4 cards you immediately get 200 points. of course if no cards can be played scoring is normal. it is better in the long run for the points to lose games and hope to play a lot of cards on the first move of the next game.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   

Paul, I found that if you win a game on the last card, undue the last card played and exit the game then reopen and play the last card for the win, you get bonus points and when you play a new game you get the 50 points for each card played in succession immediately, like game #2115872000. Play that one and get massive points.
To Richard:
Yes I've had runs of bad luck before but they usually peter out after 15-30 games. The last 30,000 or so I've rarely been able to win more than 5 at a time. When you've played as many games as I have, you have to lose often to drop your win percentage by .5%. The last 100 games for example, I'm 47 wins and 53 losses. I'll repost after another 100 or so.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 6:50 am:   

Ok, I've played another 400 games and my win/loss is 44-56 on average. Admittedly, some of the games are winnable if you vary the logical way of playing. I've played a few games over again and won by selecting a single card over the logical 3 others that were available for play. Most of the games in this 30,000 game string don't seem to have random distribution of the cards. The deal may have a lot of face cards at the bottom of the peaks so of course, you get nothing but low cards from the stock pile, or vice versa. I guess with over 2 billion possible deal combinations some of them have to fall outside of random distribution. I still enjoy the game and will play until my mouse wears out. I still can accumulate points with the use of Paul Forsdick's tip on closing out the game on a loss and reopening the program instead of clicking on the New Game button.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration