Right-clicking bug? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Right-clicking bug? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

pgs348
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 7:04 pm:   

I think I may have found another bug in PGS.

As a solitaire player I found it very difficult to see where the next move could be in a large solitaire game, so I use the right mouse button to move cards (and it's a lot easier on my hands). But when I right-click on the stock to deal out some cards, the game occasionally redeals the stock (if there are redeals available) as if the stock was empty, but it's still full of cards! This might be good for cheating the stock a little, but sometimes it's just plain annoying to undo it.

Is this a bug?
Linda Leck (Lindaleck)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Lindaleck

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 9:50 pm:   

I have had the same problem. If you undo once, it brings back the deck. (you DO lose points,though)
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 568
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 1:24 pm:   

I've never heard of that happening before, if you could specify a game that this happens in I could look into it.
pgs348
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:56 pm:   

It happens in any game that has a stock and a waste and does allow redeals (Precedence, Klondike, Canfield, Unlimited, Osmosis, Peek, etc.)
Linda Leck (Lindaleck)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 8:00 am:   

Thomas, it is such an intermittant(sp?) problem that it would be almost impossible to duplicate. pgs348 is right tho-it happens in ANY game, not just one in particular. Like I said before, if you undo once it brings it back-you just lose points for undoing-that's all
Linda Leck (Lindaleck)

Post Number: 58
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 8:01 am:   

P.S.-it also happens in Action Sol. too if that helps any
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 10:29 am:   

>it also happens in Action Sol. too if that helps any

Actually, that confuses the issue quite a bit. :-)

There is no common code between the game rules of Pretty Good Solitaire and Action Solitaire (written by separate programmers in different languages), so it is very unlikely that both would have the same bug.

Does a single 'Undo' restore the original position completely? This problem sounds like it could be two (or more) moves entered in rapid succession, such as double-clicking on the stock with only one card left. Some mouse software can "helpfully" do this when using the right mouse button, middle button, or wheel.

I will look into this problem, but I have never seen it in either game.
Linda Leck (Lindaleck)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 5:27 pm:   

One undo does the trick and it usually happens about halfway thru, never when there's only one card left. It happens so infrequently that I can't remember a specific game but it HAS happened in both programs. I have a Microsoft wheel mouse with Intellipoint if that helps any ,either. :-)
Linda Leck (Lindaleck)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 7:56 am:   

OK-it just happened again while I was playing King Tut.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 9:08 am:   

>OK-it just happened again while I was playing King Tut.

Uh... In which program? :-)

If it happened in Action Solitaire, then the problem is definitely not with the program itself, since King Tut explicitly does nothing at all on a right click. (I cannot speak for what Pretty Good Solitaire does.)

Since you are using Intellipoint, which is exactly what I had in mind when I wrote "Some mouse software...", that is where I suspect the problem lies. I had to replace a Microsoft wheel mouse because the wheel (middle) button would sometimes trigger by itself when I was working quickly, so if there is an extra action associated with that event, that could potentially cause confusing behavior. (Normally, the middle/wheel button performs an 'Undo'.)

I cannot figure out any way that this problem could occur within Action Solitaire, though.
Linda Leck (Lindaleck)

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 3:26 pm:   

OK, Gregg-here are my stupid answers---it was in Action Sol and I wasn't right clicking(told you I was being stupid!) :-) BUT the problem is this (at least in Action)-the cards don't actually fast-forward like you're moving too fast-what happens is, for no reason the deck just like cuts itself in half so instead of 30 cards you have only about 10-15 cards and if you "undo" it brings back the deck. It's really hard to explain to make sense, you'd have to see it. In PGS it does happen when right-clicking. Sometimes I get confused from switching between the 2.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 1:06 pm:   

>what happens is, for no reason the deck just like cuts itself in half so instead of 30 cards you have only about 10-15 cards and if you "undo" it brings back the deck.

Very strange. I will keep my eyes open, but I have yet to be able to reproduce the problem. If it happens frequently enough for you to be able to know (approximately) when it is resolved, you may want to disable Intellipoint to eliminate (or identify :-)) that as the culprit.

>It's really hard to explain to make sense, you'd have to see it.

If it happens again, please:
1) take a screenshot (using [PrintScrn])
2) save the game in progress
3) send us the both screenshot and the saved game

Intermittant problems are the worst, especially those that are not reproduced here.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration