Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Scoring « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Roula Vitakis (Roula)
Solitaire Player
Username: Roula

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 1:22 pm:   

I am currently playing Parallels...no wins after 25 games and given the kind of game it is am puzzled and a bit suspicious when I see the unrealistic scores uploaded to the "Top Scores" site.

Suggestion: Can the uploaded file include the game number so that your update program can exclude duplicates? I can't help but think that some people are playing the same "winnable" game over and over to increase their "Won %". This is not fair and discourging to those of us who play fair.

Of course it's possible, but highly improbable, that these are legitimate scores (if they are, I apologize) but I question it.
paul forsdick (Pondpaul)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Pondpaul

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 1:37 pm:   

I completely agree with you
it is very easy to keep playing the same game and increasing your score
I see one game I am in second place with no wins out of 50 and the first person has scored an impossible 64 wins out of 64
with Parallels try 34880673 as this worked for me
bye
Paul
Peg Mueller (Tzrnpeg)
Solitaire Player
Username: Tzrnpeg

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 2:04 pm:   

I won Parallels on my 2nd try. Game #1614818432. I guess I was just lucky and hit the right game early.

Peg
Roula Vitakis (Roula)
Solitaire Player

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 2:04 pm:   

Thanks, Paul.
Roula Vitakis (Roula)

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 2:05 pm:   

...and Peg
Kjell Petterson (Kjell)
Username: Kjell

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 2:16 pm:   

Roula,
You are probably right; there may be idiots who play a winning game over and over just to get a good-looking win %. I guess there are those 'winning is everything' types in all walks of life, but it is especially misguided when it comes to playing solitaire games.

I think PGS is a wonderful package, but the satisfaction comes in the process of playing and solving problems. Many times, I have played games like Repair and Cleopatra, using 'replay' and trying different approaches. When you finally solve a knotty problem, it gives satisfaction. On the other hand, sometimes you realize that you have a deal that is just impossible. That's the time you shrug your shoulders and try another one. So, your stats take a hit, who cares.

The 'top scores' is a nice feature, and it is quite a thrill to see that people all over the world are playing your own game, but it is certainly not a 'must win' ball game!
Roula Vitakis (Roula)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 4:34 pm:   

I agree, Kjell. Winning what appears to be an unsolvable game is very satisfying. Also, PGS is an excellent game...the only game I play daily :-).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration