Pretty Good Solitaire on FaceBook Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good Solitaire Questions » Pretty Good Solitaire on FaceBook « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 12:58 pm:   

Hi everybody,

I have created a new Pretty Good Solitaire page on FaceBook. This is intended as yet another way to promote PGS and give out information about it.

If you are on Facebook, to find the page just enter "Pretty Good Solitaire" in the FaceBook search box. Or you can go directly to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pretty-Good-Solitair e/109499399067642?ref=mf

When you are the page, you can become a fan. My hope is that we will be able to get enough fans to develop a community there, and also be able to direct some of those people to this forum as well. But to do that, it would be helpful if some of the people who are here who are on Facebook would become fans to get things started.

Diana Wu (Diana)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Diana

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 1:02 pm:   

Hey Thomas....How about Twitter?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 1:03 pm:   

Thomas, I don't know that much about Facebook. Do I have to have my own Facebook page to contribute to the PGS Facebook? I'm a little leery about it, especially since I don't know that much about it other than reading articles that I have been directed to from emails.

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   

I may do Twitter sometime, but Facebook appears to be more flexible. At any rate, Twitter is all one way while with Facebook people can participate by posting on the wall or with discussions and reviews.

Kathy, the way I understand it you have to have a Facebook account in order to see anything on Facebook.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 1:42 pm:   

Do you know, Thomas, how I go about getting a Facebook account, and in your opinion, is it safe for a single female to have one?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 2:21 pm:   

Kathy. Facebook is safe from intruders. People have to get your permission to talk to you.

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 3:16 pm:   

Yes, FaceBook is pretty safe. You only need to give a name, email address, and birthdate to sign up, and you can set only the name to be public. You don't need to give any other information if you don't want to, and you can set it so that only the people you accept as friends see anything at all.

Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Friday, March 19, 2010 - 4:15 pm:   

One of my friends is concerned about personal content. You post a song or a poem and Facebook has the right to use that content in any way they wish. I don't know of anyone that has had problem. It does not come into play in a normal account. So feel free to use Facebook for contacts.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 4271
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 8:14 am:   

I don't wish to be alarmist but there was a program on TV last night that exposed the dangers of Facebook and similar sites. Whilst it is true that people need your permission to talk to you, apparently there is a way they can find out your email address. Then, knowing that they can enter your private email account, make a list of all your contacts, and then email them all whilst pretending to be you. That opens up more possibilities for an intruder.
Make up your own mind though. Just type "Dangers of Facebook" into your search engine.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 641
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 8:20 am:   

I don't nothing about Facebook, but i know, that it is no problem to get ones (?) email address. And what is best, i got one time an email from me i don't have written (some commercial).

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 9:24 am:   

They can only find out your email address if you set Facebook to show it. You can set it to only show your email address to friends, or even to no one. You can make your friends list visible only to your friends or to no one. Basically, in order for any of these scams to work, you have to be making more information public than you should.

Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 9:32 am:   

What is the difference about PGS being on Facebook and our Discussion Forum?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4274
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 10:13 am:   

Thomas is merely looking for a wider audience so that he can hopefully attract more players. Some of them could potentially become active in this forum. They would be most welcome.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 394
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 10:31 am:   

I'm just afraid that the audience will gravitate towards Facebook and away from our forum. This is only my opinion, but I think maybe in his next newsletter, Thomas might have something on our Discussion Forum. It took a while for me to find it. Maybe there are new players who aren't aware of us. In my precarious financial situation, etc., I can't afford to take any chances, and I've heard too many horror stories about Facebook, mostly on the news, to chance it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4275
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 12:12 pm:   

There will be no movement away from PGS and the Forum. I'd anticipate the opposite happening. New players.More activity.
I don't use any of the social networking sites, including Facebook. Not my cup of tea.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Annika

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 12:41 pm:   

I am already on Facebook, and enjoy it a lot. I signed up as a PGS Fan yesterday. As Thomas said, it is just as private as you choose to make it. Easy to interact with friends and relatives, and to instant message, if you want to do that. You can set it to make your own home page available only to your own chosen friends.

People would not use it to discuss particular games. But it could bring in many more players to subscribe to or buy our favorite solitaire games, and that would be good for all.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 398
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 12:50 pm:   

Most of the things you mentioned can be done here on the forum except for interacting with your friends, relatives, etc. Do you still intend to use the forum?
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 3:58 pm:   

Yes, I have used the Forum for 5+ years, and will continue to use it when I need/want to. I am happy to support Thomas and PGS by being a Facebook Fan, and helping to make the group grow, in hopes of attracting new players to the best solitaire software there is!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 402
Posted on Saturday, March 20, 2010 - 5:42 pm:   

It looks like I'm the only one really opposed to PGS on Facebook. Thanks for your input, Jeralyn. I'll just stick with the Discussion Forum. I haven't friends or relatives who use the Internet anyway.

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 9:35 am:   

The main purpose of the facebook page is to provide another way to get people interested in the game. There are 300 million people of FaceBook, so it is a huge thing.

As far as this forum is concerned, the main problem with the forum is that it requires people to register in order to post - nothing I can do about that, I had to do it that way because of the huge spam problem. I will definitely be linking to the forum on the facebook page, hopefully we can bring in some new people that way.

The activity here on the forum is great, but we definitely need some new people coming in.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 12:26 pm:   

Yes. We older forum posters are pretty dull. We need some new blood to liven things up.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 1:15 pm:   

Thomas, Here's an idea: why not post the invitation to Facebook at the top of the Online Scores screen. Many of us check or post our rankings, so lots of players would see it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4305
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 3:38 pm:   

>As far as this forum is concerned, the main problem with the forum is that it requires people to register in order to post - nothing I can do about that<

This I cannot understand. When someone purchases PGS they get a registration code to activate the product. This code could/should then be used to enter the forum if they were given a temporary password simultaneously.
My details would then be:-
User Name :- xxxyyyzzz (permanent)
Password:- Goodsol (temporary).
Smaller Username:- Richardscotland (my choice)

I am spending so much time in the Forum and playing other people's games that I have no inclination to increase the volume by participating in Facebook. Don't get me wrong, your page is a brilliant business strategy and you are bound to get many more people interested in your products. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 4:30 pm:   

I will take a wild guess here and say it the software program used for the forum which requires the user to add the information about email address and to furnish their own password.
As this format is used in other forums which I look in on.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 6:01 pm:   

If everyone gravitates toward PGS Facebook, I guess I'll have to just play the games and forget the chats and fun I have in the forum in addition to the help I get with games. For someone who is home-bound like I am, the friendships mean a lot to me. Now, it's back to being lonely again.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4310
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 6:31 pm:   

You've still got this all wrong Kathy. Nobody will gravitate away from here. It is far more likely that new players will emerge and enter this forum and make it a lot busier. You are worrying yourself about nothing.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4311
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 7:12 pm:   

I thought that I'd try to please everyone and just register on Facebook. Lo and behold we already have an account. My email address but Liz's name! The profile is practically non-existent but total strangers want to be "friends". Based on what criteria? What do these potential friends like about her profile? Is it the way she spells her name? Perhaps it is because she is female. Should I be concerned? Should those who purport to be "friends" be worried? After all they DO think they are communicating with a woman and they land up with a cynical, sarcastic, distrustful ex-gentleman with a low tolerance for fools. So what subterfuge could these so-called friends also be engaged in? I may think I'm talking to the glamorous young woman in her photograph but she could be a he, bed ridden with a moustache and two wooden legs.
I think I'll upload a profile photo, but of Mike's dog just for the hell of it. I've already knocked 30 years off her age.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 8:38 pm:   

There are always random friend requests. they are ignored. I like you wonder what kind of people are doing this. But that passes quickly and I am on to important stuff. Post a picture of big dog. At least he will keep the rift-raff away. I have a picture you could post. Unfortunatly I cannot post it here after the Bart Simpson debacle. I may send it to you. No one will be leaving the forum for Facebook rest assured.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 9:36 pm:   

It has started already, Mike. I'm sure there are others, but of the regulars on the forum, only Markus and myself haven't joined yet. If Markus does, and that is his right, then I'll end up being the only one left. I was burned once on a scam on the internet and ended up losing $300.00, and having nothing to live on for a month. I'll never take that chance again, because I know I'm vulnerable and trust those whom I shouldn't. I'll just go back to the old days and play PGS for something to do. Because of illness, there's not much else I can do.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4312
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 5:24 am:   

Kathy! You are going to give poor Thomas a complex.
NOW HEAR THIS! Nothing has started already. There were about 90 posts in the forum yesterday. Far more than usual. You say that only you and Markus haven't joined. Wrong! I've not joined. I followed the link to see what all the fuss was about. Whilst I was there I thought I would register simply to keep the peace. It came as a surprise to me when it told me that my email address was already registered. I asked for a password reminder and it was only then that I recalled that I must have enrolled a long time ago. I looked at the alleged photos of the alleged people who wanted to be friends with a total stranger and realised how shallow the entire concept is. "Live chat"? Most PGS players are in a time zone 6+ hours adrift from mine. If I was that keen on live chat I would get a mobile phone. I point blank refuse to have one. I hardly ever even use our land line.
I am a member of the RSPB and the Scottish Wildlife Trust (amongst other things). I renew my memberships because I like what they do and want to support their work. I've not used my membership to those for years. So even if I was a member of Facebook it would only ever be a token gesture.
Please,please,please stop working yourself up into a lather about Facebook. There is NOTHING to worry about. Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine not being very actively involved in this forum. It's why I get up in the morning and why I am sometimes in the forum way after one in the morning.
Mike, I hear what you are saying and I know I could easily get rid of Facebook fools if I chose to participate. I was thinking about the dog photo for the profile and thought how appropriate it would be considering the amount of "grooming" that is alleged to go on in these sites. Just think about it. The ONLY verifiable info I gave them was my email address. Everything else could be completely fictional. Nah! Count this sceptical old cynic out.
Diana Wu (Diana)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Diana

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 5:33 am:   

Yes, poor Thomas. I wasn't gonna comment and I will say my 2 cents then stop.
I have joined FB and there are several options to keep your privacy, you just need to know how to do it.
BUT I have not been to FB in a while. If you want...just to keep tabs on friends and/or family....or play games...or to give support to some favourite games (ie PSG games)
But lately I have found it to be over much...it can be just too impersonal.
I have to agree that the only thing that the PSG page on FB would do is to direct more people to the forums.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4315
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 5:55 am:   

Thanks Diana. Navigation is a problem in many sites. It took me long enough to suss everything out here. I have no desire to start again in Facebook or anywhere else. (Old dogs and new tricks etc). I'm sure it will bring new players into the fold and wish Thomas every success with his initiative. It's not for me however.
I wholeheartedly agree about FB being impersonal. The massive advantage the forum has for me is that I KNOW that everyone loves solitaire. They are not pretending to be interested for motives known only to themselves. I hope we have put poor Kathy's mind at rest. She's found some friends and is desperate not to lose them. We should be honoured.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 6:48 am:   

Okay, one last try. Those "friends" pictures on your FaceBook homepage are NOT people asking to be your friend. They are people the Facebook program is suggesting you MIGHT know, and want to have as friends on FaceBook. The list is generated from mutual acquaintances. One has to request to be a friend, and no one will be accepted automatically. The request comes via email from FaceBook. I enjoy FaceBook. My daughter and I can IM for free, when we are both on. My friends and relatives in other states are there, and I like seeing what they have to say, and commenting, as I choose.

It would not take the place of the Forum, because only your "friends" will see your comments. It is not a "chat room".

Only 19 people have become FaceBook Fans, as of this morning. Thomas was hoping that hundreds of PGS players would do so, so their friends would see this, and consider playing PGS, not cause anyone to stop posting to the Forum. He was merely asking for our help.

Only a small group of players are regular users of the Forum as a chat room, anyway. As Richard said, he posts because he likes to interact with Kathy and Markus, and occasionally someone else, like Diana, Mike or me. If we had more players, Forum users would probably increase.

Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 667
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 8:05 am:   

>Okay, one last try.<

What will you try? You will have to accept, that not everyone fall in enthusiasm with Facebook and join, because one else enjoy it. I understand Thomas, he just want to find new PGS players. When he decided to put something into Facebook, why not. But you cannot wait, that everybody who is posting in this Forum has to join also. I like the Forum as it is and i hope, that there are coming new players.

I just read this posts so far without posting a message from me, but that ONE LAST TRY, no.
And for me, the Forum is still a place to get answers to questions about games (winnable, bugs, ...) and not a chat room even if the messages sometimes look like that.

Thomas, try everything to get new people into the Forum.

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 8:12 am:   

Some comments:
Again, the only affect the Facebook page should have on this forum is possibly bring some new people in. The forum will stay the same. Even if some people participate in the Facebook page, I doubt it will affect their posting here. Given the huge number of messages over the weekend, if anything the opposite is the case.

I'll be doing a number of things to promote the Facebook page, it is something that will be ongoing over the long term.

Unfortunately, there is no way to create forum accounts automatically, so we can't generate forum accounts when people order. The forum runs on its own software that isn't related to anything else.

And finally, the Facebook page will grow pretty slowly, I didn't know what to expect but 19 fans isn't bad given that no one really knows about it yet. The number of fans should grow a lot when the page is announced in the newsletter later this week.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 8:24 am:   

One suggestion, Thomas. When you announce Facebook in the newsletter, why not also remind the players about the existence of the forum and it's use. I played your games for years before I found out about the forum. I wish you well with Facebook.
Jeralyn Taylor (Annika)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 159
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 8:27 am:   

Okay, Markus, my "last try" was to reassure Kathy that her Forum would not be affected by players becoming FaceBook Fans of PGS, not to try to persuade anyone else to do anything, particularly not to join FaceBook.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4318
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2010 - 10:27 am:   

I love it,I love it,I love it, I love it, I LOVE it!
People expressing their opinions in a democratic manner.
First off....Jerri.
Thanks for the FB info. Sincerely, thank you! I admit my ignorance and lack of research. I am a bit of a stick-in-the-mud anyway. I dislike change. I'm too set in my ways to be bothered with Facebook,Twitter or the likes. It doesn't bother me unduly that other people may consider me to be a dinosaur. I'm happy enough chewing the cud in my own limited environment. (I'm one of those nice vegetarian dinosaurs). You are in the majority. You like and enjoy FB. I'm happy for you and all concerned. I'm certain that you can also understand where I and others stand regarding this. To each his/her own.
To Markus...Well done!
An impassioned and eloquent response (with only a slight hint of imperfect English). Star pupil! I cannot imagine that you will ever desert us in this forum, this Roman forum, this place where we pit our skills against a common enemy, the unwinnable game! Perhaps Jerri could have worded her posts more carefully. I too am guilty of that sin. Both you and I understand what she is attempting to encourage us to do. We will probably do so eventually anyway.....in our own good time.
To Thomas....the long suffering and good intentioned Thomas.
Practically everyone understands what you are trying to achieve. We ALL support your initiative and endeavour. What you have achieved at the very least is some lively and healthy debate. You are a smart guy. I think you should examine how you could make product purchase and forum membership one in the same. Software possibilities are virtually limitless. Surely there must be a way. Perhaps it could be as simple as an automatic email from Goodsol with an invitation to register. (It took me a long time to figure out how to go about it, particularly as a couple of post were permitted as a guest).
The last word goes to Jerri.
Thank you for taking the time to try to reinforce what I was saying to Kathy. The forum is the Status Quo and "Whatever You Want".
Jens R. Prochnow (Prochnow)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Prochnow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 9:40 pm:   

Hi. I'm Jens. Which is a danish first name just like "John", "Sean" or "Jean". I'm just saying this because people from the US sometimes have problems with this name.

I just wanted to say that I'm one of these guys that became a PGS fan on Facebook. And thanks to Facebook I found my way to this forum. So Kathy, I just hope you're not too scared of me. :-)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 776
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 9:58 pm:   

Jens, if you can handle Richard, Markus, Mike, the 2 Kens, etc. as I finally learned how to, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun on the forum. The only thing you have to get used to is all of our different senses of humor. And, no matter what anybody says, I'm not that serious.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration