New Hard Drive Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good MahJongg Questions » New Hard Drive « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

valerie jardine (Pisces51)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Pisces51

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 7:22 am:   

I'm getting a new hard drive this weekend and will have to take everything of this one. I know this sounds pretty dum but can I download Pretty Good Mahjong onto a disc then install it onto my new hard drive?
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:42 am:   

>can I download Pretty Good Mahjong onto a disc then install it onto my new hard drive?

Certainly. If you backup the installation folder (usually 'C:\Program Files\Pretty Good MahJongg'), you should be able to restore it to the new drive and have it run properly. However, the easiest way is probably just to get your system set up and then download the latest version of Pretty Good MahJongg (2.32) from the web site (http://www.goodmj.com/download.html). This will insure that everything is installed properly, and the upgrade is free for all current PGMJ customers.

Before you switch to the new hard drive, though, you will want to make sure that you have your registration code written down. This is in the original email you got when you purchased, but you can also get it from the 'About' box: Select 'Help|About' from the menu, or just press [F3], and it is in the bottom left corner. You will need to enter this on the new machine. (If you misplace it, go to the lost code lookup page: http://www.goodmj.com/regusers.html.)

Also, you will probably want to copy your scores/statistics to the new machine. These are stored in a hidden (by Microsoft, not us :-)) folder, usually (on Windows XP), 'C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\Goodsol', where [user] is your Windows user name. If you backup this entire folder, you can restore your results on the new machine. (Note: Results for all other Goodsol games are stored in this same 'Goodsol' folder as well.)

If your new machine is Windows XP (or similar), you can restore to the same folder. However, if your new machine has Windows Vista, you will need to restore to a slightly different directory, usually, 'C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Goodsol'. (Hint: If you run PGMJ once before doing this, it will create the folder for you, thus marking where the files should go.)

The one caveat here is that your player names and option settings will need to be recreated on the new machine. (The technical means of transferring the settings is more difficult, and more dangerous, than simply resetting them. :-))

I hope that this tells you everything you need to transfer Pretty Good MahJongg successfully. Good luck on your upgrade!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration