Is it winnable Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good MahJongg Questions » Is it winnable « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

maureen howieson (Maureen)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Maureen

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   

Please help I have been trying for the last 3-4 days to win game 2754 climb mode mahjong klondike without sucess.
could someone please help.
Thank you
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   

>Please help I have been trying for the last 3-4 days to win game 2754 climb mode mahjong klondike without sucess.

For the record, MahJongg Klondike #2754 is the same whether or not one is in climb mode, so if somebody else wants to try to help, it is not necessary to play 2753 other deals first. :-)

I have tried the game for about an hour now, but I have not succeeded. It looks deceptively simple, as it is relatively easy to get all of the Dragons, but then the spaces all get filled with Winds, leaving (each time I tried) an immovable Wind blocking some needed face down tiles.

I wish I could provide more assistance.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 697
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   

I don't claim to be particularly good at PGM, but have given Klondike #2754 a pretty good try.
Gregg can possibly make use of my upload, as I have located practicaly all of the tiles.
application/octet-streamKnight on the tiles
Klondike #2754.pgmj (12.8 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 698
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   

Another slight variation.
application/octet-stream
Klondike #2754 b.pgmj (11.2 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 699
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 3:21 am:   

I've now spent a l-o-n-g time on this game number and am totally convinced it's unwinnable, The last two columns contain consecutive Winds and it is never possible to get sufficient empty slots to empty both of these columns. You can readily empty one or the other, but never both. A score of 56 was the best I managed.
Sorry.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 5:09 am:   

Thank you richard. I appreciate the time you have taken. I a'm still trying but I also think it is unwinnable. I can sometimes clear the last two columns but am left with two others that contain Winds and no space to put them. It is very frustrating but I will keep trying.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 700
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 7:20 am:   

Hi Maureen, I've also cleared the last two columns,but doing so creates other problems. It's simply not possible to get enough empty columns to get all of the problem Winds out of the road.
I managed to keep three columns clear at one point, but it always gets to the stage where you have to fill them in order to keep playing. Without a thirteenth column, I'm completely convinced it's unwinnable.
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 8:41 am:   

Hi Richard, thanks again for trying. Maybe Gregg could add another column for us. lol. It is just so frustrating because now I have to stop as I don't want to have a game against me. I will just keep trying but will also try some of the others.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 701
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 9:06 am:   

Hi Maureen, If it was impossible to lose then there would be no point playing PGM at all. It's also pointless frustrating yourself. Just accept your loser and carry on to the next one. Considering how rare losing games appear to be, in a way you're quite lucky to have found one. See if you can double your score without unearthing another one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   

>Maybe Gregg could add another column for us.

I could, but where would be the fun in that? :-)

>Just accept your loser and carry on to the next one.

I would tend to agree. It was painful for me, on Free Klondike, to take each of the three loses I now have, but as long as nobody proves that they could be won, I am happy. :-)

(For reference, I lost Free Klondike deals #48, #578, and #590, and I am actually willing to be proven wrong about any of those.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 705
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   

Hi Gregg, You quoted FREE KLONDIKE. Is this the same as the Klondike I played above,(2754)? If so #48 is winnable, because I've just won it. Please respond before I attempt the other two numbers you mentioned.
application/octet-streamJust in case.
Klondike #48.pgmj (13.7 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 706
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   

Killing time anyway.
application/octet-stream
Klondike #578.pgmj (13.1 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 708
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 3:00 am:   

First today.
application/octet-stream
Klondike #590.pgmj (18.9 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 710
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 7:13 am:   

I wanted to find solid reasons to support my theory why MahJongg Klondike #2754 isn't winnable.
My opinion was that the consecutive Winds in columns 11 and 12 are the biggest problem, and even if you clear them (which you can), you will have to sacrifice something else.
I was sure that you'd need four empty columns in order to free all of the troublesome Winds, and I have now proved that that cannot be done. Columns 2,5 and 8 are the only ones that contain no winds, so this makes it impossible to have more than three empty columns.
It is therefore necessary to move an entire set of tiles, right up to its Wind before the vital fourth column becomes available.
My top score is 58 after spending hours at it. I think I'll give up now. (Maybe).
application/octet-streamOriginal positions of the Winds
Klondike #2754 3 columns.pgmj (7.4 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   

Richard,

>You quoted FREE KLONDIKE. Is this the same as the Klondike I played above,(2754)?

No. Free Klondike is a variant of MahJongg Klondike in which any tile can be played to an empty space (for more choice) but only one pass through the stock is allowed (i.e., no redeals). In my opinion, the game requires more strategic thinking, and most of the deals are winnable, obviously. This game is available in Pretty Good MahJongg.

In climb mode, I am the Free Klondike leader, having played 660 deals, with only 3 losses, so far. The MahJongg Klondike leader (Maureen) has played 2753 games with a 100% winning record (until now).

I have spent an absolute minimum of 1 hour and 40 minutes on each deal I could not solve (because the timer only goes up to 99:59.9 :-)), and probably much longer. I would certainly be interested to see if someone with your expertise in Solitaire with playing cards could crack those three deals.

Just try it playing Free Klondike this time. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:55 am:   

Hi Gregg,
What you've just told me proves how infrequently I play PGM. I'd no idea half of these games existed therein. I tend to go for The Wall or Compulsive Gaps when I do. This is almost always because Liz has just left PGM open on my PC.
From what you've said above, I think that winning the three games in Free Klondike is a pretty tall order. They weren't exactly a cakewalk with unlimited redeals.
We're going on holiday in a weeks time, and have just bought a new motor-home. We've lots to do to get this organised beforehand. I've also got a greenhouse full of hundreds of plants that will have to be planted outside before we leave.
When we return from our holidays I will see if I can achieve anything with your problem games. My first impression is that I would have to run through them several times and make a map of where everything is buried. It will take a lot of planning, and I'm not exactly optimistic.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   

>What you've just told me proves how infrequently I play PGM.

We will get you playing Pretty Good MahJongg regularly yet. :-)

>We're going on holiday in a weeks time, and have just bought a new motor-home.

Have a great time! (Scotland is one place I hope to visit someday; I envy you being able to do it simply by passing through your door.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 729
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 3:32 am:   

Yes Gregg, I probably will start and work my way through all the PGM games now that I have had a little dabble. The main problem is that I absolutely love PGS and spend hours playing it every day. Both disciplines are extremely similar, and I suspect that all PGM games could be played using playing cards. Once your eyesight begins to fade, you'll probably prefer the larger scale of the cards.
My second love after PGS is my beautiful little country. It must be up there with the best the world has to offer. I know I keep rattling on about it, that's what you do when you're passionate about something. If you ever decide to come here, just let me know and I'll direct you to all of my favourite spots. Hiring a motorhome would allow you to criss cross the country at will and steer clear of most of the rain.
I've had a brief scrap with your losing Free Klondike numbers and have concluded that they are almost certainly unwinnable. I'll keep plodding on with them though.To help me see how good or bad I am, could you please post the best scores you achieved with each of the problem ones?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   

Hi Gregg, Game #590 of Free Klondike is the only one that has given me any encouragement. I'm posting a very good effort that is irritatingly close to coming out.
Under the green six in column nine is the black eight. Several moves would become available if I could either lose the six, or find a seven to move it onto. Have a tinker. See what you can do.
application/octet-stream
Free Klondike #590 need a seven.pgmj (10.2 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   

>all PGM games could be played using playing cards

Many certainly can be. Witness Chinese Klondike and Chinese Spider (in PGS), both created with 3 suits (and named) based on PGMJ and Chinese mahjongg tiles.

Something like Pyramid of Wild Dragons (in PGMJ), which relies on the physical depth of tiles, may be hard to adequately recreate with playing cards, though.

>To help me see how good or bad I am, could you please post the best scores you achieved with each of the problem ones?

The scores I settled on were:
- deal #48, score: 24
- deal #578, score: 24
- deal #590, score: 44

The loss itself was the big thing for me, so these may not be the best. In fact, I seem to recall accepting a slightly lower score to keep things even (so perhaps 25 is possible on #578). :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   

>Game #590 of Free Klondike is the only one that has given me any encouragement. I'm posting a very good effort that is irritatingly close to coming out.

Wow! You are absolutely correct about "very good", since your score there is 11 points better than mine. (If my scores are anything to consider, then #590 should be the closest of the three.)

You know, if this deal turns out, I will need to dump [let's see...] 76 victories to go back and solve this one. I am not sure how I want this one to turn out. :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 738
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 7:00 am:   

Hi Gregg, This is giving me brain damage. I can't get my head round it at all.
The stock is 54 tiles. The tableau has 12 columns containing from 1 to 12 tiles in ascending order. This is a total of 78 tiles. So between the two of them we have 132 tiles, (78 plus 54). However is you add together all the tiles in a complete set, the number is 136. 12 each of 10 characters plus 16 winds.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 7:46 am:   

Forget it Gregg, the light just dawned. There are only three of each of the winds. I was counting 4 of everything, and it was making a mockery of my map of the game I'm going to be spending a bit of time on.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:16 am:   

>I was counting 4 of everything

In a full set of mahjongg tiles, there are four of everything, but when we designed the solitaire games, associating Winds (one of each) with the three suits, we had to set aside one of each Wind.

If it makes you feel any better, I had exactly the same confusion at one point while I was creating the game layouts (way back when). :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 765
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   

Hi Gregg. I think your unwinnable games are precisely that. I can get a somewhat better score of 32 with #578, but high scores are not the objective. Still to get past 22 with the other one, but this particular game fascinates me so I could be replaying it for a long time yet.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 12:16 am:   

Well, I have another one for you to try:

Free Klondike #674 comes tantalizingly close to being winnable, but I have not yet been able to put the final touches on it.

Here I sit with the timer reading only "99:59.9"... :-)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 787
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:15 am:   

Hi Gregg, You're right about 674. I'm posting a decent effort. With the addition of a red two in the tableau, I think it would have rattled out. I'm going to keep at it and see if I can do away with one of the black sevens. May make a difference.
application/octet-stream
Free Klondike 674 score 45.pgmj (8.5 k)
Carolyn Janson (Aravis)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Aravis

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 3:55 am:   

I'd love to know if anyone has won Game 381 in Klondike Deal Three? I can almost get it out, but something always blocks me.
Carolyn Janson (Aravis)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Aravis

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 4:49 am:   

I might have known I would win it as soon as I asked!
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 9:49 am:   

I need help please.

I was playing klondyke as normal, went to look at high scores, went back in to play next game and it had started me back at game 1. I know I did not clear all fields (not knowingly anyway) but I need to know if there is a way of getting back to my original number that I was playing. I have already played 8502 and I really really DON'T want to start again. Please help.

Thank you
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 350
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   

>I was playing klondyke as normal, went to look at high scores, went back in to play next game and it had started me back at game 1. I know I did not clear all fields (not knowingly anyway) but I need to know if there is a way of getting back to my original number that I was playing. I have already played 8502 and I really really DON'T want to start again. Please help.

Unfortunately, if Klondike was really reset back to deal #1, the only way to get any of your statistics back is to revert to a backup. The complete results file is only stored on your system. (The file you want is 'Klondike.climb' in the 'Goodsol\Pretty Good MahJongg\<player>' subfolder under the application data folder.)

That said, it is possible that you accidentally started a different Klondike (e.g., Klondike Gold Rush) instead, since they have the same icons, or that you changed players, so maybe your statistics are still there. (I have done both myself.)

I truly hope that this helps.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration