Going online from game window Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good MahJongg Questions » Going online from game window « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Carolyn Janson (Aravis)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Aravis

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 6:03 am:   

After many months playing, and submitting data online, and viewing high scores etc online, I suddenly can't get online at all from the playing or main window. I can submit scores, and view high scores in a private window, but can't go to the website or anything else. Nothing wrong with my Internet connection, and my firewall isn't blocking it. Anyone else have this trouble? I downloaded a new copy and installed it with no improvement. Any tips or thoughts would be welcome...
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 314
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   

>Anyone else have this trouble?

I just double-checked, and everything seems to be working fine here. If you can successfully submit scores, but cannot view scores, the problem is most likely an issue with your default browser configuration (which Pretty Good MahJongg indirectly uses for viewing scores).

If you are using Internet Explorer 7, you can make it the default browser by launching it, selecting 'Internet Options' from the 'Tools' menu, and then on the 'Programs' tab, click on the 'Make default' button. (There should be similar procedures for other browsers/versions.)

Although I cannot verify it, I suspect that installing a different browser, setting it as default, and then uninstalling it could lead to this issue.

Please let us know if this helps.
Carolyn Janson (Aravis)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 3:55 am:   

Bit of a mystery, this. I use Firefox, and it's always been ok. I changed the default to IE just to see, but it didn't help. And Firefox is set again, as always as the default browser.
I wonder if it's one of the Microsoft security patches that did it!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 - 10:17 am:   

>Bit of a mystery, this.

Yes, it is.

Pretty Good MahJongg simply passes the page URL to Windows, which is responsible for launching the appropriate browser. If this does not work, it seems that clicking on a 'favorite' link would also fail.

You could test this by clicking on the 'Pretty Good MahJongg 2 Web Site' icon in the Start Menu. If that fails, then the problem is almost certainly the default browser configuration.

The only other cause I can figure at this point would be a firewall issue. Some (non-Microsoft) firewalls have a feature that can prevent a program from launching another program (even indirectly), so if the firewall was told not to allow PGMJ to launch a browser (via URL), then one could have exactly this problem.

>I wonder if it's one of the Microsoft security patches that did it!

I definitely would not rule that out. :-)
Carolyn Janson (Aravis)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 3:38 am:   

Thought I should let you know I've just, finally, found the problem; it was, as you suggested, a firewall setting. I use Comodo firewall, and its advanced Defense policy had made pgmj an isolated application, which stopped it from accessing the Internet. I've made it a trusted application, and everything is now working again. Thanks for your help!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 320
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   

>Thought I should let you know I've just, finally, found the problem; it was, as you suggested, a firewall setting.

I really appreciate that you posted your solution; it may be useful to others in the future.

(Hopefully, nobody else has the problem, actually. :-))

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration