Goodsol Forum » Pretty Good MahJongg Questions » Galaxy #2 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Melissa Boccia (Melissa_b)
Solitaire Player
Username: Melissa_b

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 2:35 pm:   

No kidding, I've been playing this one for OVER A YEAR. Can't.get.it. Can anyone help me? Is it winnable?
Gregg Seelhoff (Seelhoff)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Seelhoff

Post Number: 389
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 10:57 pm:   

>Can anyone help me? Is it winnable?

OK, first question: Are you playing with layouts that are guaranteed winnable? If so, the game number on the status bar is "Game #2*" (with the asterisk [*]). You can also confirm that there is a check mark next to the 'Options|Winnable' menu option.

If the deal is, indeed, guaranteed winnable, then, yes, it is winnable. :-) I just checked my personal statistics and I have certainly won it, but my time (in climb mode) was 27:17.7 -- in other words, not fast.

Otherwise, of course, there are no guarantees, but I was not able to get any more than 4 matches (136 tiles left) on game #2. I definitely do not think that deal (without the guaranteed option) is winnable.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 390
Posted on Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 11:37 am:   

Assuming that you are playing the guaranteed winnable version...

application/octet-streamGalaxy #2*
galaxy_2.pgmj (0.7 k)

To use this:
1) Click on the link and save the download to your desktop.
2) Rename the file to have a '.pgmj' extension (if necessary).
3) Double-click on the file (to launch PGMJ and load the file).

This file is reset to the start of the game, with the 'redo' queue loaded with the solution; just press the spacebar repeatedly to watch it get solved. (Of course, you will have to remove the final pair of tiles yourself. :-))

I hope that helps.
Melissa Boccia (Melissa_b)
Solitaire Player
Username: Melissa_b

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 2:02 am:   

Thanks Gregg. Tried the file, now getting a "pgmj.iface" error message. I do have that file and I copied it to the desktop where I saved the game file w/the new ext. I figured it needed to be in the same path. And yes, for the record the game is a guaranteed winnable. It's driving me crazy (but in a good way). :-)
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 3224
Posted on Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 4:32 am:   

Hi Melissa, I tried Gregg's instructions and got the same errors. Here in my fix.
You need to download it and add the .pgmj extension as instructed. Now go and open up your PGMJ like you normally do.Locate Galaxy. Open Galaxy. Now go to the top left of that screen and click where it says "Game". Select "Open" and point to the file on your desktop. Gregg's solution will load. The just keep clicking on "redo" to see the moves he made.
BTW I had a few attempts myself and it was driving me nuts too.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 391
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 - 3:01 pm:   

>Tried the file, now getting a "pgmj.iface" error message.

This should be a spurious error message (to be fixed in the next update :-)), and the game should still load and launch correctly.

If that fails, Richard's method works perfectly.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration