A game called labyrinth Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Find a Solitaire Game » A game called labyrinth « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Robin Wedding (Robin)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Robin

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 12:28 am:   

This is a game from the book "the Pan book of card games" by Hubert Phillips, published in 1960 by Pan books Ltd. Maybe this can go in the next version.

The game labyrinth uses one deck.
The four aces are first placed at the top.
Next, a row of 8 cards across face up is dealt below the aces. The aim is to place all the cards up in sequence from 2->k by suit on the aces as in klondike. Place as many cards onto the foundations as possible. Once no more cards in the tableau can go onto the foundations the gaps in this row are filled. Once you reach the situation where no more cards can be played to foundations & there are 8 cards in this first row, deal another row of 8 below the first row ( with cards lining up as you would expect). Now again play any available cards to the foundations. Any gaps in the FIRST row only are filled and play continues until the first row contains 8 cards & no more cards can be played to the foundations. Deal another row of 8 cards below the second row. In general a card can be played to the foundations if there is no card above it, OR no card below it, ie if there is a card below and above the 2 of hearts, the 2 of hearts cannot be played to foundations. Play available cards to foundations only filling in gaps in the FIRST row, until the first row contains 8 cards and no other exposed cards can be moved to foundations. Now deal another row of 8 cards below the last row dealt
(or as many cards as are left) and continue as before. Hopefully by now the process is obvious.
Once play comes to a complete standstill (ie no more cards in the stock + none playable to foundations), you can pick any one card in the tableau & put it on the foundation & play as before.

The key ingredient is that only after all available cards are played to the foundation, the gaps in the FIRST row only are filled.

The gaps in the middle of the tableau look like a maze or labyrinth.

I hope I've adequately described the game, tell me otherwise.

Robin.
Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 735
Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 9:25 am:   

Labyrinth is a game in a number of solitaire books. I think the reason it hasn't been done yet is for screen size reasons, the playing field is rather large. I'll look at it again as a possibility in the future.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration