Is ti winnable? Penguin 1069 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Is ti winnable? Penguin 1069 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Solitaire Player
Username: Sunlion7

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 10:22 am:   

Another penguin question: Is 1069 winnable? Just need a yes or no, because if it is, I'm determined to find it! Thank you--I don't post a lot, but I enjoy your banter!

CarolAnn
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 10:24 am:   

Yes, it is winnable. In the first 2500 games is just one unwinnable one, and it is not this number.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)
Intermediate Solitaire Player

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 10:29 am:   

You are so fast! Thank you, Markus.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 6:17 am:   

Penguin 1069. ok, I give up. I've got way too much to do to sit here fighting this particular game, and I seem to have no willpower to stop :-) Markus, could you give me a hint to get me started? Anyone else? Thank you in advance!
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 7:07 am:   

I won it last year on 7th of june. Try to rewin it, when i find some time to replay it. After that, i can give you some hint.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 7:34 am:   

That will be great. Thanks so much!
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   

I am working on it. It is hard one. I am so far always just one card from winning. There is one tricky combination which makes it a winner.

BTW, i don't remember, are you playing PGSME or not?
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 4:43 pm:   

If PGSME is the Mac edition, No, I'm not. Mine is edition 12.3 for Windows. I've been having the same problem--one card away, and I think I've tried every beginning combination possible. The trick must lie in the column with the 4s of H and S, but I can't beat it.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 11:51 pm:   

I have beaten it once, i will do it a second time, just a question of time.

Sometimes it is better to let it be some days and after that, it comes out very easily. We will see.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 1475
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 4:35 am:   

CarolAnn and Markus, I worked on and off yesterday trying to solve this game, and I had no luck at all. I hope you can win it as I'd really like to know how you did it.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 5:31 am:   

Actually, I think I did win it once before, but my computer crashed since then, so any chance of tracing my own moves are gone. Thanks, both of you. I am trying some different games in the meantime, hoping a solution to the 1069 will miraculously present itself later, as Markus suggested.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 4:23 pm:   

I just looked again my old stats and made two screenshots:

As you can see, it took me a few more minutes than usual, but not so hard than now. Maybe it makes a big difference, that i don't play Penguin anymore, only those ones, which are posted in the forum. (I have stopped playing after 2500 games.) But as i said, i will win it again.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 5:29 pm:   

I see. You have done what I'm doing -- playing through in sequence. A technical question: when playing a game and the last correct move wins the game, how do you then back it up to see where you've been? Or to put it differently, how do you save the moves themselves?
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 12:53 am:   

In PGSME the screenshot is working very well, in PGS it doesn't so good. Otherwise when you want to save a game at a special position, you can use "save as" in the first pull-down taskbar (i don't know the right word, it should be under "file" or "edit"). Then you can open the game always at the same position. Then there is the undo and redo button.

The moves themselves you can only save with the whole game. When you don't do that, then you can redo them only with the undo- and redo-button.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 4:47 am:   

Sorry to be dense, but it seems you would have to tell the program in advance that you wanted to save your moves. Once the game is won, there is no option to undo-redo. So that is what I'm wondering about. Otherwise, I'd have to do a screen shot after each move. Is the trick in NOT using auto-play?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 4:55 am:   

I have the same problem, CarolAnn, and I haven't been able to figure out how to start from the beginning or even the middle of a game and go back and see what moves were made. BTW, I played your 1069 again yesterday, and it still has me stumped and frustrated since I know it's winnable.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 5:03 am:   

The only way to save the moves is with saving the whole game you are actually playing. That means, when you want to know how you have won a game, then you have to disable AutoPlay and then save the game before the last card is played to the foundation. After that you can open the game again and watch with the undo-redo button how you have won it.
I save only those games, they really are challenging me. When i played your Penguin game #1069 a year ago, it was not so hard, that i saved it. Ok, it took me nearly 8 minutes, but i have had harder ones. When it would have taken me more time i surely would have saved it and i don't have to rewin it, which often is harder than playing it the first time.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 5:16 am:   

ok, that's what I'll do as I keep working on this one. I'll disable autoplay to start with, then if I should happen upon the solution, I'll have a record :-) Thanks! P.S. Please do post the solution if you find it. I'll probably still be working on it!
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 5:46 am:   

I think, i know the problem, why i don't get it. I am so fixed on some starting sequences, that i just don't see the unnormal winning way. That happened before. That's why i said sometimes it is helping to let it be for a few days, sometimes even weeks.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 5:55 am:   

GOT IT.

Will look for some screenshots and post them.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 6:01 am:   

Here you are:

After the 3rd screenshot you should be able to win it.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 11:36 am:   

Ah, Markus! A thousand thanks! Now I can go back to doing what I need to. (BTW, is there a PGS Anonymous for those of us afflicted by this addiction?) :-)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 11:48 am:   

Would you believe it, Markus, I still can't get it. I can't figure out how you got the second screen shot. In order to get the KS on you have to get to the Ace of Spades. But then I'm left with the 7D. I'll have to try later. I hope you can get it CarolAnn.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 1:45 pm:   

I often save several times during a hand. The first time may be 1069 then the next is 1069.1 and so on. You get to "save as" in the upper left corner. Click on the "Game" name. You will get the option. Otherwise turn off "auto play" and you will have some chance of going back and seeing what you did. That's for PGS.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 2:27 pm:   

Thanks, Mike. That's a good idea. I think Markus did that, also, as he was able to post the screen shots. I did finally get through 1069, and saved just before the last move. I may never need it again, but it took 4 days to find this solution, and then Markus saved the day, so I decided to keep it. Thanks for writing.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 2:56 pm:   

Do you have any hints for me, CarolAnn? I can't get past the second screenshot. In order to get the KS onto the foundation, I can't find any other way than to get to the Ace of Spades, but then I'm left with the 7D and not enough empty spaces to work with. I'm so frustrated. Maybe I'd better forget it, and one of these days try it again.
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 5:17 pm:   

Kathy, I will go back to the saved game first chance I get. Tomorrow sometime, I think. Can't do it tonight. I had some trouble with getting past the 2nd one also, but finally did.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 6091
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 6:49 pm:   

Kathy....Just from the screenshots you can see that the 6H has to go down into a cell, as does the KS. Then the 9S and 10S go onto the foundations. Put the 3C down into a cell and you can play the J,Q,KS out to the foundations too.
We are away for about a week, commencing in a few hours from now. Approaching 1am. Time to hit the sack.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6092
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 6:53 pm:   

Markus....Have pity on us visually impaired people. BIGGER screenshots would be nice next time.

Thinking about you guys already.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 1:31 am:   

Richard, you can make the screenview (?) on your browser bigger. Ok, the pictures are loosing sharpness, but ...

BTW, it is the first time i saved it with the small option of my picture program, i wanted to see, how big they will be, now i know it and i will remember it, when i post for you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6093
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 2:31 am:   

Yes Markus I know I can make the images bigger with the Cont+ buttons, but the sharpness is poor. I always save images at maximum size and then resize them. That way they stay very clear. Failing eyesight is something that will catch up with you soon.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 4:47 am:   

I have glasses since my 16th birthday.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 9:17 am:   

Markus, I had glasses since my 9th birthday but about 10 years ago I got laser eye surgery and it was the best money I ever spent. I CAN SEE!
CarolAnn (Sunlion7)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 10:18 am:   

Kathy, did Richard's hints give you what you need to solve 1069? If not, write again. Though I imagine you've solved the puzzle by now.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 10:47 am:   

I finally made it. I never would have done so without all your guys help. Thank goodness that's over.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1765
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   

Ken, i once used contact lenses, but i gave up again. Too much work with cleaning, searching, a.s.o. a.s.o.
I never have had something against my glasses, so, i don't think, i will let do the lasering AND sometimes it is good not to see everything sharply.
(I know, everyone who has let it done and where it went well, they are all inspired.)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration