Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Last Game « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Thomas Warfield (Support)
Username: Support

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 12:33 pm:   

Hi all,

I'm just about to start adding the last new game to the next version of PGS. I thought I'd ask for suggestions.

Anybody have any ideas for a new game, such as a variation of an existing game you want to see? Now is your chance, but there is just one opening left for the next version!
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 574
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 1:05 pm:   

I suggested to Greg, Valet parking as a variation on free parking with no shuffles
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 2:39 pm:   

Maybe Free Fan with just one storage cell.

Or Acquaintance with just one redeal.

Or Eagle Wing, but every card is allowed in an empty wing pile, that means also from the stock. There is then just the question with how many cards and how many redeals. I would say that 15 cards an one redeal would be a good combination.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 3:42 pm:   

Since Block has so far proved unwinnable, how about adding one or two redeals. Does anyone have any other suggestions to make Block winnable?
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 6496
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 10:07 am:   

In Block,increasing the number of columns to 14 instead of 12 would make a big difference. It would probably still be in the very difficult category but the chances of getting a winner would be substantially increased.
Thomas Warfield (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 2:46 pm:   

I like the idea of a Block variant. Redeals don't make sense in the context of the game. I was thinking of changing the building sequence to the easier regardless of suit, but Richard's idea of more columns might work too.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6508
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 2:51 am:   

I'm glad you like my suggestion Thomas. It is likely to produce a less frustrating game than the original, and I'm sure if we put in the effort we could manage to win one or two now and again.
Yvonne White (Ladydeere)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Ladydeere

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 7:11 pm:   

How about fixing the fact that British Canister is unwinnable!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2011 - 10:21 pm:   

We tried asking that about Block, Yvonne, but I see that somoneone won one game. I don't think I've ever seen Sue K. post on the forum, but if she does, I wish she'd tell us which number it was. I thought it was unwinnable.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6803
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 2:35 am:   

British Canister IS winnable, and so is Block. They are just unwon, (except by the cheats). The reason we don't have any winning numbers for them is simply because people get fed up trying to win them. It may be that there is only 1 winner in 10 million +. It gets very frustrating dealing a hundred consecutive losers. Dealing out 100,000 would make many people lose the will to live. I cannot even begin to contemplate how brain dead I'd be playing a million without success.
You should try and remember that people were saying other PGS games were unwinnable. The most recent of those was Picture Patience. Ken Blackwell found one winner. Everybody else had given up. There is a moral to this story.
Frances Cammisa (Yankeegal)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Yankeegal

Post Number: 322
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 6:54 am:   

I keep going back to Block but I can't win it--if someone finds the answer, please let us all know.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6805
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 7:04 am:   

It will be shouted from the rooftops Maria.
Larry Dale (Lars)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Lars

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 10:50 am:   

The approximate odds of winning British Canister in PGS is about 1 in 400,000. It's a good game if you have a list of solvable numbers.

Larry
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 12:47 pm:   

I see there is someone who won Block. Unfortunately, I have never seen this person post, so we'll probably never know what that number was.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6806
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 1:10 pm:   

People manage to win these lotteries against astronomical odds. We simply need far more people to play the "unwinnables".
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 4:29 pm:   

I understand what you're getting at Richard. I just can't help wishing I knew what that winning Block number was, not for the stats, but because I could almost swear it's impossible to win it unless of course you use the unshuffled deck. I figure if you can't win it, no one can.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration