Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Forty Thieves #3 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 8:52 am:   

How about #483730657? I can get an open space immediately but so far my highest score is 51.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 6771
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 10:20 am:   

Strange one Ken. It looks SO winnable. Got this at my second attempt. The first one was mainly concerned with sussing out what may be the main problems.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6772
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 10:32 am:   

Here we go.
application/octet-stream
Forty Thieves_483730657_tri-try.pgs (3.6 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 12:27 pm:   

I see that gardening hasn't decreased your other abilities!
Thanks!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 4:32 pm:   

Is #1971424768 winnable? I keep coming so close but can't get there.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6808
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 6:15 pm:   

Yes it's winnable. It gave me a problem or two. I kept getting close to winning it and I always needed a 10H. This partial is with one of those introduced. See if you can win it from here.
application/octet-stream
Forty Thieves_1971424768_part.pgs (0.9 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 9:21 pm:   

Thanks, Richard. Do you know I've tried games #2, 4 and 6 which are all winnable, and I can't get anywhere with them. What I don't get is how to know which cards to put down and which not to. How many tries do you usually have to do to win a game? I've been working on #2 all day and still can't get it. I really don't want to write down every move I make. I don't have the room to do so, and it's awfully tiresome. Maybe this just isn't the type of game for me. I long for another game like Tuxedo. That's my favorite. It's difficult, but I can usually always win the winnable ones.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 9:44 pm:   

Kathy, the other problem you are having is that you are trying the tough ones first! I never got #2 or #4 and #6 took me a long time. Try #8, #13, and #15. They should be a lot easier!

Plus let me tell you a little story. My dad loves Scrabble and he would always want me to play with him. I always refused because I didn't like it and I was no good at it. But he is getting up there in years and me being a good son so lately I have agreed to play. He would KILL me on a regular basis but it made my old dad happy, so what the heck. Well, lo and behold, the more I played the better I got and I started to beat him on a regular basis. So now the first thing I say to my dad when I go to visit him is, "Get out the Scrabble board!"
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 9:46 pm:   

I still couldn't get that one even with your partial. However, I did win #149805713 on my own, so I'm not a complete failure.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 10:01 pm:   

I got your number, Kathy. Did you get any of the numbers I posted 2 minutes before your post?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 10:33 pm:   

I'll try them, Ken. Our posts must have overlapped.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   

Try #15 first. The others are a little bit more difficult than I thought!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 10:41 pm:   

I already had trouble with #8. I'll try #15 now.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 10:55 pm:   

In terms of advice, do you ever use the "Snapshot" feature? You get to a point in the game where you have more than one move, then you hit snapshot and try out one move. If it doesn't work out, you hit the "Undo Snap" button and it returns you to the previous place where you can try other options. A lot of the game is luck. If you hit on the right moves right away you can win easily and if you don't, it is going to take some trial and error. (E.g., I won #8 easily 6 months ago and now I'm having a devil of a time winning it again!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6810
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 4:44 am:   

Getting your strategy worked out for FT is half the battle. The same applies to Scrabble. Frequently NOT playing a card is as important as playing it.
As a general rule I see little point in building down on a card that is isolated anyway. Say I had a 9H with a decent card beneath it (an ace or a two perhaps), I see no merit in playing an 8H onto the nine if this is not going to help me move lower value hearts that are obstructing other columns.(let's say the only other available heart is a 4). Why make it more difficult to move the 9 at some point in the future by building cards onto it that are of no practical use anyway.
You must become competent at worrying back, and recognize opportunities to do this. Study the attached solution for your game. Save it and play it back one card at a time until you fully understand the reasoning behind the moves I made.
Once you've got the basics right you can attempt some of the harder FT's that gave us all trouble. As Ken said, replaying some of the games that we've already won doesn't mean that we will manage to win them again without considerable effort.
Play slowly. I always make a mental note of cards that I have swithered over. I am forever saying to myself "I didn't need to play that". It all helps me to spot better moves later on in the game and undo until that point, or as Ken advised, to a Snapshot position.
It's a great game once you've got to grips with the strategy. We all found it difficult originally.
application/octet-stream
Forty Thieves_1971424768_KQ.pgs (3.7 k)

Kathy,We are going on holiday,yes,again,on Tuesday. Please feel free to pester Ken every five minutes until we get back.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 5:10 am:   

Did you get Ken's permission for me to pester him?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6811
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 6:05 am:   

Nah! Let's not ask him. I think he's starting to mellow anyway. (Advancing old age?)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 9:11 am:   

Kathy, as long as you try and don't give up at the first sign of difficulty, then I would be more than happy to help you.
(You know what they say, if it was easy then everybody could do it!)

THE FEW
THE PROUD
THE FORTY THIEVES PLAYERS!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6812
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 10:20 am:   

There we go then!

The first rule for FT is that none of our "rules" work in every situation.
It is always advisable to look at the tableau and ask yourself where you will have to put the twin card if you accept the other one from the stock. For example taking a 10C from the stock and putting it onto a JC would commonly be a bad idea if you already have the other one buried in the tableau.
I frequently use a ploy regarding twos in particular. I will often refuse to put one onto the foundations if doing so doesn't uncover something that also goes up. I will try and wait for the second one to turn up. You can adapt this ploy quite a lot. Perhaps a 2,3,4 would go up. In many circumstances I'd only put up the 2, so that in the event of the other one showing face it could go onto the 3 I'd not put up earlier. Just giving a bit of thought to what you do or don't put up can make all the difference.
Did you get all that Ken?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 11:51 am:   

I am going crazy with #13. I almost make it, and then nothing. Any hints? I've been working on this since last night.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 12:56 pm:   

Did you get #8? I found that much harder to re-win. My only advice for #13 is don't do the obvious play in the beginning.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6814
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 2:03 pm:   

I must have played #13 in a totally different manner to Ken. Try it from this partial. Do NOT play the 6S onto the 7S until you get column 6 cleared. It's still far from easy from there.
application/octet-stream
Forty Thieves_13_part.pgs (1.0 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6815
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 2:14 pm:   

Ken, you're obviously following this thread. On Britain's Got Talent just now was a cyclist called John Oakley (Oakly?). Fabulous! It will appear on YouTube soon I think, probably when we are away. Look out for it. You'll be mega impressed.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 2:41 pm:   

I still can't get it. I don't know what to do with the 9S in the 2nd column.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6816
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 3:36 pm:   

Immediately after I cleared column 6 I had the 9.8.7S in column 2. Simply put the 7 into the space and the 8 onto the other 9 and then the 7 back onto the 8. The troublesome 9 from col 2 then goes into the space and liberates the 8D. Loads of things just fall into place at that point.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 6:15 pm:   

I've done everything you said, and I still end up with 16 left in the stock and no win.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6818
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 6:37 pm:   

Here is a screenshot of the position I was talking about. See the score position at the bottom left. The next three moves are obvious from the picture.

BTW, We will be away until the 9th or 10th.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 11:02 pm:   

I've had that screenshot but can't seem to get anywhere with it. Have a good and safe trip. We'll miss you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6819
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 4:05 am:   

Here is a screenshot slightly more advanced than the last. The moves you should have spotted from the previous screenshot were....8D over...QH over...7D down...6D down....5D over. The next card in the stock is the 2H, and you are back in business again. Soon at 2nd screenshot.

Looking now at the second screenshot. I have emptied column 10. Moved 4D + 3D onto 5D. Then sorted out column 3.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 8:50 am:   

I am at the second screenshot of Richard's. Can anyone help me out as to what to do next? I've tried all kinds of moves but none of them have worked. I did try placing the JS and putting the 10, 9, 8, and 7, and they eventually went up, but I still couldn't win after that.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6820
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 11:10 am:   

THOMAS or Gregg,
Here is another problem that has ME baffled. Compare the above screenshot with this one. Look identical to you? That was initial conclusion. However, can anyone explain how both of these were taken from the same saved game yet there are discrepancies between the scores etc at the bottom left?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6821
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 11:24 am:   

Kathy, You have a huge advantage over anyone else playing this game with no access to the forum. You know it's winnable for a start. I have also given you a multitude of clues including a partial. As Ken suggested earlier on this page, take a Snapshot of it when you reach this position (or just save it here). Then it's a process of elimination. You try some moves and if they don't result in a win, you return and try something else. That's what I did until I found the right combination of moves.
My final clue is that I played all of the diamonds out at the above screenshot position and the put the 10C up into an empty column. That is a massive clue.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6822
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 11:34 am:   

I've figured out what was going on with the screenshots. When I reduced them in size the numbers change shape. The numbers actually read 19/10/30.

Leaving first thing tomorrow. The breweries are already on red alert.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 1:18 pm:   

Thanks, Richard. I do use the snapshot feature and try all kinds of moves, but I'll keep trying. I know you are busy so you don't have to remind me, but I forgot how to make a screenshot, or else I would have posted some of mine and maybe I could be told where I'm going wrong. Again, have a good time. It is 90 degrees here and I'm miserable but don't like to use the air conditioner so as to save money.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 1:47 pm:   

I just can't get it. You'll have to officially declare me the dummy of the year.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 2:41 pm:   

Did you ever get #8?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6823
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 3:11 pm:   

My last post until we get back.
Kathy,
Just look at the screenshot. After you put the diamonds up you have clubs everywhere. Fortunately you have a full set of them in the tableau. The 10c goes into one empty column and the jack goes into the other. Now sort the clubs out.
Failing to solve #13 does not mean you are a dummy. Most people would fail. It is very difficult.
Can't wait to get away. We will have a good time, thanks.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6824
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 3:40 pm:   

OK, I was mistaken. This is my last post.
Ken, Sorry I got the name wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkQhZxBxtck
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 4:12 pm:   

WOW!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 5:13 pm:   

Kathy, try these and see if they are any easier:
#27, #52, #72, and #96.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2011 - 9:52 pm:   

I never won #8, Ken. I'm ready for bed now. I'll try those numbers you recommended. I did manage to win two games on my own. I just don't know what the problem is with #13. I've done everything Richard told me, and I still can't get it. BTW, we've got 90 degree weather here in the Midwest. Can I send it back to you? You're used to it.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 4:59 am:   

I won #72. No luck with 27 and 52.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 5:10 am:   

I also won #96. I'm still really frustrated with #13. Maybe I'll try playing it once a day, and one day I may get lucky.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 5:59 pm:   

Ken, on #8, is clearing the first column early important? I keep getting close but lose out at the end.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 6:08 pm:   

No. Btw, you can't be too bad a player if you got #72 and #96. I thought those were the hardest of the 4 that I posted.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 9:50 pm:   

I'll keep trying on #8. What makes me frustrated is I get so close all the time but never quite make it. One of the problems I have is that if I don't use the cards at the beginning of the stock, when I need them, they are too far back to use. But sometimes there is no where to play those cards at the beginning.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 2:42 am:   

Kathy, let me put you out of your misery. Here's the solution to #13. Study it carefully!
application/octet-streamHow's the weather?
Forty Thieves_13_HeatWave.pgs (4.0 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 4:05 am:   

Here's #8.

application/octet-streamThe insomniac's friend
Forty Thieves_8_Eureka.pgs (4.1 k)
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 4:53 am:   

Ken, I haven't given up on #13 yet. I can get to Richard's second screenshot and I put the 10C and the JC in separate columns as he said, but I don't know where to go from there. He said to sort the clubs out, and I do manage to get rid of most of the clubs, but I find I'm missing vital cards that are at the beginning of the stock.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 5:06 am:   

Thanks for helping me, Ken. I tried the solution but found it difficult to back track. So I'm going to try to write down every move that I undo and see if that will help as I can't remember everything that I've undone. If that doesn't work, I'll just give up.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 5:52 am:   

It might be easier if you undo to the very beginning and then hit re-do and see the moves in order.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 7:31 am:   

Thanks for the advice, Ken. I never thought of that. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 4:43 am:   

Ken, I had problems looking at the moves with #13, but last night, it went better with #8 and I was able at some point to finish it on my own. I am trying another winnable one, #124, but have had no luck so far. I guess it will just take time, but I think I'm getting a little better.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 6:04 am:   

Kathy, I don't know why you torture yourself with the hard ones. #124 took me over TWO hours to win!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 7:48 am:   

I don't know which ones are the easier ones. I'm working on #2 now, and I have a feeling it isn't easy either. Is there a list posted that I missed on some of the easier games?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 9:37 am:   

Good point! I guess the easiest thing to do is play the games that are winnable but don't get frustrated if you can't win them. Just go on to the next one.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 10:04 pm:   

I'm starting to get a little better, Ken. I won #1502638592 on only the second try.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 10:16 pm:   

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 1:44 pm:   

#69 is driving me crazy. I know it's winnable. Any hints? I've been working on it all morning.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 2:09 pm:   

Is #1084382976 winnable? I've come really close.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 11:52 pm:   

Yes it is!
application/octet-streamI even surprised myself!
Forty Thieves_1084382976_good_one.pgs (4.0 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 3:52 am:   

Markus (or any other interested party), what can you do with #512990369? My best score is 56.
Markus Reischl (Markus)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Markus

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 6:13 am:   

Ken, i have very less time. We have graduation tests. Maybe i find some time to try it, but that would be luck.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 9:35 am:   

Ok, thanks!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 12:56 pm:   

51 so far with me. But I don't like this game.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 3:38 pm:   

I got it.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 5:34 pm:   

For somebody who doesn't like this game, that's pretty impressive! Any clues for me?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:13 pm:   

Do you think I really remember anything I did? :-)
I'll go back to my save point and see what I can find.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 10:24 pm:   

Here is a screen shot. I don't know what I did to solve it.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:20 am:   

Thanks, Mike!
I guess now Richard can go on more frequent holidays. (Is that even possible?)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:13 pm:   

It would be more difficult to remember when he was at home and not on holiday.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6832
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 5:40 am:   

KEN,
This from the new forum.

"This is as much an experiment as anything Ken.
There are probably other ways to win your game. Here is how I did it.
Nope! Apparently not. "Uploaded file type is not allowed". We are talking about a .pgs!!!
BEER,beer,beer,beer,beer".

Here is the file I failed to upload.
application/octet-stream
Forty Thieves_1124001152_NewForum.pgs (3.8 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 9:10 am:   

Richard (and Trisha), thanks for the confirmation that it is winnable. Secondly, I tried to upload a file and got the same response. Looks like Thomas has got some tweaking to do!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 9:13 am:   

Richard, when you get some time, why don't you try uploading a screen shot (maybe an intermediate position for the above FT game) and see how that works?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6834
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 9:32 am:   

Drat. I've already deleted the file and cleared he recycle bin. Will DL it from here.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 9:39 am:   

Richard, don't go to any extra work. I was just wondering if the posting of screen shots (any screen shot) are possible in the new forum. BTW, did you see Thomas' response to the problem of posting .pgs files? This new forum is supposed to be EASIER, not harder!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6835
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 9:59 am:   

It was never a problem Ken. I was just cussing my own efficiency.
application/octet-stream
Forty Thieves_1124001152_Retry.pgs (1.8 k)

I found that I needed the 2nd JD the first time I failed to win this one Ken. The partial is from there.

As you will see from the new forum nothing has worked so far. Looks like there will be a lot of teething problems.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2228
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:50 pm:   

I finally figured out #2 using Richard's partial and a lot of extra work.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration