Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Barricade « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 6779
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 10:36 am:   

Here is the first official, genuine winnable number for Barricade. Not as impossible as some may have thought.....614155136. Solution available for anyone who can't work it out.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Kathyquade

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:44 am:   

Richard, I'm trying to work it out but with no success so far. My problem is there are so many different moves to make that my brain can't remember what moves I've already made. I'll keep trying. If I don't get it by my next post, I may have to ask for the solution. Do you think this means I'm "past it"?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 12:08 pm:   

I give up. It's not even fun anymore. It only shows how much I'm losing it. I can't figure out 40 Thieves and now I can't figure this out. Good luck to someone else. Thank you Richard for letting me know it can be won.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6780
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 12:33 pm:   

Basically I start with the highest cards and work down Kathy. Any small cards that can go onto the foundations also help. That way you are getting lots of cards out of your road. Occasionally you may have to take a card or two back off the foundations. It's just a war of attrition. Persevere and you'll get it. This screenshot is with 50 left in the stock.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 1:16 pm:   

Okay. I'll give it a try. If I can't win it and someone else does, then I'll ask for the solution. I'm waiting to see if anyone else is having trouble with this or whether it's just me. I did try working with the highest cards first but couldn't make up my mind as to which high cards to put where.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6781
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 1:43 pm:   

You are just assuming that I got at the first attempt Kathy. I didn't. Stop being so hard on yourself.
You asked recently why there was no interest in the new games. I looked at the stats for Block and they just confirmed what I've been saying for years. What's the point? New games, same old tricks. Unless everyone is playing honestly it is just a source of annoyance.
With games like Block where "winning" games are likely to be in the region of 1 per million, I think that Thomas should ask people who are posting their incredible stats to supply him with winning numbers. Otherwise their stats don't get posted. That way the honest players would not be placed at an impossible disadvantage. For the record I have played about 19,000 games of Block. I probably actually start about 1 in 20. Call it no winners in 380,000. Now lucky would you have to be to post stats showing 1 winner in just 50?
I also note that someone has had 50 consecutive Barricade winners. These people don't participate in the forum. If they did, how would they deal with requests for winning numbers?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 2:21 pm:   

I did it thanks to your screen shot. Yeah!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6782
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 3:53 pm:   

Kathy, Things are not always as difficult as we imagine them to be. A little encouragement and a little more self belief appears to have done the trick. Well done.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 598
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 3:59 pm:   

I won with game #2 back in March. Am I missing something?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 4:08 pm:   

Is game #1035707648 winnable? I got 39 points, and it looks like it might be. I'll try #2 Ken. I don't suppose you have the solution?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 4:27 pm:   

I can't get anywhere with #2, Ken. If you have a chance, can you look at it again? I might be missing something obvious. These are really difficult games for me.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6785
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 4:57 pm:   

Ken, There was a beta version of Barricade that allowed "any suit" moves. Barricade was a lot easier then. One of the old saved games I have is of #3. I didn't win it using the new rules though.
Will try your #1035707648 Kathy.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 599
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 4:58 pm:   

I replayed it if you want the solution. Work the kings to the bottom and try to keep like suits together.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6786
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 5:06 pm:   

If I was to put a bet on it, I'd wager that #1035707648 is unwinnable. A big score is easy enough, but the three black queens , the three black jacks, and the two black tens are impossible to shift.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6787
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 5:15 pm:   

I cannot win #2 or #3 with the new rules.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 7:17 pm:   

What new rules?
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 601
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 7:19 pm:   

Mines 12.4.90 if something was changed from then.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 7:20 pm:   

application/octet-stream
Barricade_2.pgs (3.5 k)
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 7:53 pm:   

Yeah thats the beta version. I ordered the new upgrade as mine dosent have it of course. I have no idea how old mine is. Somewhere back when there were 3 games I think.....
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 9:14 pm:   

Okay. Just to make sure I've got it clear. Barricade #2 is winnable in the beta version not the current version. Right?
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2011 - 9:21 pm:   

Forget it. I just tried Ken's solution, and it worked. Well at least that problem is solved. Thanks for all your help. Now it's back to doing it on my own.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6790
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 3:21 am:   

Kathy, I explained all this about three times in as many days. Ken's solution contains many moves that are illegal now. The software and the stats will still accept it. I have a few more like it. To use something like this is as bad as using the unshuffled deck. It makes me wonder if someone has used this to upload incredible stats.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 4:26 am:   

Richard, I'm sorry. Really I am. Lately, I am not thinking clearly and I forget things. For instance, I forgot to take my afternoon blood pressure pill yesterday. You asked why I don't post that much. It's for this very reason. I don't need to be scolded right now for something I have no control over.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 604
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 10:01 am:   

I got the new games on 13.0 and I see what you mean with the changes. I was not aware of them is the reason I asked. I must say you response was quite mean spirited tho. I would never take advantage of a loop-hole. Whats the point?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6795
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 10:55 am:   

I trust it wasn't me you were addressing when you said "mean spirited" Ken. I don't even post stats because of the way many people choose to abuse them. As is my normal practice, I saved a few games during the beta test. I've just not got round to deleting them yet. They are of no use to me anyway. It does seem a bit strange that the software will load an old solution such as #2 and does not recognize the flaws it contains.Is it possible that the table topper is using the older simpler rules? That would explain a lot.
Kathy Quade (Kathyquade)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 8:48 pm:   

How would the "table topper" know the old rules if they were in the beta version? I thought only a select few were chosen to try the beta version and give their opinions, etc. This guy is new to the game as I've never seen his name in the stats in all these years I've been playing. Regarding your post on another thread, Richard, I think in games like Block and Barricade, etc. that Thomas should at least ask them to give at least him the winning numbers. I know I'm not that good at most of the games, but I'm not that bad either and most of you guys manage to win at least more than one. It does make those who want to honestly win games feel bad. Also, why even have games that have almost no chance of being won?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6797
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 3:36 am:   

My opinions on the subject are very well known Kathy. I just don't bother. Let the cheats cheat if that's what it takes to inflate their own egos. They are fooling nobody anyway.
We have no way of knowing who took part in the beta trials or what version they may be using. Ken Blackwell was using it entirely by accident. He was probably not the only one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6798
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 6:04 am:   

A new winner for you.
application/octet-streamActions speak louder than stats
Barricade_1097111040_Difficult.pgs (3.9 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 6799
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 6:08 am:   

Re Beta Trials Kathy, anyone who asks to be included will be.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration