Grandfather - is it always winnable? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Grandfather - is it always winnable? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Guy Hamilton
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.146.247.72
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   

I have played the first 1000 games of Grandfather (#’s 1 –1000). Maybe all but 10 of these games were winnable merely by continuously left clicking on the stock with the game in auto play, i.e. I didn’t have to move any cards myself or even think about how to play. The remaining games were winnable by moving a small number of cards from the waste pile to the tableau after the end of the redeal (game #1000 is an example of this). Not much of an intellectual challenge. However, I have been pondering on whether there is a possible set up of the deal that is in fact unwinnable. I have not discovered one; the initial configuration and mode of play is variable enough to make it very difficult to imagine an unwinnable setup.

Is this game always winnable? Can any one devise an unwinnable setup?

(Message approved by admin)
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 6:11 am:   

Hi Guy,
You're the expert on this one, but I'd have to agree. The only losses I get on these very simple games is when I haven't bothered to read the rules at all. I got a terrific score of 98 in Reserves but couldn't better it. I just found out yesterday that you can build on the waste using ANY suit. Goodness knows what the winning percentage would be if everyone tried using the SAME suit like me. (You could call that one Reserves Masochist if you want, Thomas).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration