How to download a saved file from the... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » How to download a saved file from the forum « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   

These are general instructions that should work on most operating systems.
1/. Download the file to somewhere you can easily find it, My Documents for example.
2/. Locate it and ensure that the file extension is .pgs. If it's not, change it,(rename).Do not open the file.
3/. If it has been renamed successfully, go to 4/.
3a/. If windows refuses to rename it, try this. Whilst the file is still in My Docs, open it but don't make any changes. Click on "File" top left of window, then "Save as". This should open another window where you will see "Save as type:" at the bottom. Click on the drop down menu there, and select "MS DOS format". The file will then be changed to show a .pgs extension.
4/. Find the folder that contains your Pretty Good Solitaire. In my PC it is as follows.
Local Disk C/Windows/Application Data/Goodsol/Pretty Good Solitaire.
5/. Open that folder and you will find other saved games, all with . pgs extensions.
6/. Drag and drop the downloaded file into that folder.
7/. Close the folder and return to Desktop.
8/. Click on PGS logo and open games.
9/. Locate and open whatever game you've just downloaded the file for.
10/.Click on "Game" at top left of that screen.
11/. Scroll to "Open Game" and click.
12/. You should now see the downloaded game which you click and open.
13/. It will run thru the saved game leaving you little or nothing left to play (depending where the person who posted it had saved it)..
14/. Make whatever moves that are required to win the game.
15/. You can re-open this saved game at any time, and click repeatedly on Undo. You can take it right back to the start if you want, and by clicking on Redo you can see every move that was required to win it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 199
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 6:23 am:   

Further input on downloading files from the forum.

It appears that problems can still occur when downloading these files, and this MAY depend on the running program of the person who saved it, being in conflict with the person who's just downloaded it.
I downloaded such a file today and couldn't get it to be recognised or renamed no matter what I did. I tried having the file opened by WordPad instead of a Text Doc. Still no joy.
Finally I dragged and dropped it into the destination folder (C/Windows/Application Data/Goodsol/Pretty Good Solitaire) and then returned to desktop.I opened PGS and asked it to open the file under Three Bears where it belonged.
PGS couldn't see it. It displayed older Three Bears files but not the new one. In the box titled "Files Of Type:", the name "Three Bears Files" appeared. I then expanded the drop down menu and highlighted "Pretty Good Solitaire Files". All files for all games were there including the new one which still had the wrong file extension (.txt instead of .pgs). I highlighted it, clicked on "Open" and it was opened without any bother.
It would appear from this that if you get the downloaded file into the correct folder, PGS will open it even if it has the wrong file extension.
It still puzzles me that this is the third way that I've been forced to find after two previously successful routes failed.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 8:31 am:   

This is how I opened Ken's BRILLIANT solution to Three Bears. When I clicked on it, I then pasted the address into my browser. I went to Three Bears, opened it (using F5 key), pasted the address in the spot where it said file name, hit open button, and VOILA!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 6:08 am:   

Thanks Ken, that's valuable input. I'll admit that I never thought of that, AND it works, cos I tried it.
Richard.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration