Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Is penguin #109539913 winnable?julie bassett 1-21-08  4:11 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Roger Barnes (Rogbarn)
Solitaire Player
Username: Rogbarn

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   

I just found this game and find it intriguing. But I can't solve the very first game I got despite working at it for a couple of hours now. Can someone give me a clue? Is this one of the more difficult games in Penguin? Many thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
Roger
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 316
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   

Hi Roger,
Your game is certainly winnable, but not one of the easier ones. I played it a few times before I found my way in. Concentrate on assembling the spades in the third column from the left. Leave the 8 there, but put the 7,6,5,4,3,2 onto it. It was very late in the game before I was able to clear all the cells at the foot of the screen and put all of those spades down into them. Get back to me if you want more help, or if you want me to upload the complete solution.
Richard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   

Hi Roger,
An additional clue. The ten of diamonds is one of the last cards to come out, so don't worry about stacking cards on top of it in the first column.
Richard.
Roger Barnes (Rogbarn)
Solitaire Player
Username: Rogbarn

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   

Thanks for your help Richard. I finally figured it out. I'm still not sure how I did it but I think it was close to what you suggested. I've played a few more games now and they all seem difficult. Even though it is a 94% winnable game, it takes some guesswork to find the right play. Do you or anyone else have any general approaches to this game?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 320
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   

Hi Roger,
If you visit the online stats for Penguin you'll see that one guy has won 137865 without a single loser. The skill lies in finding the right opening moves, and that would appear to be by trial and error initially, but experience will make it easier and easier to spot the best cards to play first.
Richard.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration