Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Triple Interchange Part VI « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   

Richard, I've won the last batch. Any more goodies? (Isn't that the last thing that Red Riding Hood said to the Wolf?)
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:44 am:   

Hi Ken,
The top four are from my unclassified list, but Ingrid added the final one. She said she wanted to give you a hard one.The MacIntosh man should be all the better to beat you with.
Not so much a Canis lupus, more a Canis wormis

T.Interchange_Rob Roy MacGregor_1725402111
T.Interchange_Sir Arthur Conan Doyle_1697828863
T.Interchange_Sir James Dewar_1616573183
T.Interchange_Sir John Alexander MacDonald _1648200191
T.Interchange_Charles Macintosh_1878272255
When is it that you're going on holiday, and how long will it be for?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   

Richard, We're leaving on May 17th, and we will be gone for about 10 days. We're scratching the Channel Islands plan. My friends have never been to Paris (even though I have), and they would rather go there instead before the bicycle tour.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 623
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 6:15 am:   

I think the only cycling that you lot are liable to be doing will be back to the airport with a ten day Paris hangover. Your holiday is sounding better already! Mooosic to my ears.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 5:13 am:   

Richard, It's not like you to be so coy. Unclassified, indeed! Let me classify them for you: VERY difficult! The only one I've won so far is Ingrid's #. This might be a good time to remind Ingrid why you're the master.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 626
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 7:12 am:   

Sorry mate.These were all just saved games, and I had genuinely no idea of their difficulty. Last week I watched "Independence Day" on TV, with the most cheeful suicide bomber ever. Last night it was "The Core" where more of the cast sacrificed themselves for the good of humanity. You Americans, no, cancel that, Hollywood has given the world the impression of invincibility so that I didn't think my games would present any problems. Having saved mankind from extinction TWICE in a fortnight, you have my undying gratitude. (And the band played.......).
Seriously, you should make a point of seeing "The Core" where our heros bore over 700 hundred miles inside the planet to restart it's rotation. And they're still in radio contact with HQ! When they stopped because of a breakdown and got outside to fix it, we nearly died laughing. I'd to give Ingrid mouth-to-mouth!
Glad you've got her number though.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   

Richard, Interesting article in today's travel section. They did a survey of Americans who had been to Europe.
Most overrated city? Paris
Most underrated city? Tie between Edinburgh
and Prague
Thoughts?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 627
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   

As you'll already have gathered, I'd do anything to avoid offending anyone, but Ingrid says that the main thing wrong with Paris is the population.
I've heard it said that people in Edinburgh think that seks is what you put garbage in. That said, it's an extremely historic city with some great architecture, even if you excluded the castle. It also has some very decent bars and restaurants. Prague also has the fab historic architecture and an abundance of watering holes.
The main thing that Prague beats the other two cities on is value for money. Food ie lager, is very cheap and the city has become a favourite for Stag Parties from other European countries.
Your dollars are worth zilch in the UK at the moment (about 2 per £) so is also a consideration.
My advice would be to get your mates drunk and then vote on it. They won't notice if you cheat.
(I encountered three words in this message that are not allowed in the forum. seks is the one I couldn't use a substitute for).
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   

Richard, As always, a thoughtful, interesting reply. I'm going with seks, lager, and zilch. Am I right?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 628
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   

There's no substitute for seks apparently.
Bars are OK unless it's the one where you have a P first.
German bier is OK, but not English.
Yet again Ken, "two outa three aint bad".
There has been some interestingly ambiguous phraseology in some recent posts. I wonder how many you spot.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Intermediate Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 28
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   

Hi Guys. Let me say that I like Paris. There is just so much to do. I have a good time with the people there. They seem to go out of their way to make fun of my bad French and I always laugh at them. The people are much nicer in the country.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   

Richard, In your bier induced haze, you heard the lyric wrong, "It's #1 and #3 are bad". I'm not ready to give up yet and ask for a clue, but satisfy an old fart, and try to win them again, and let me know how you get on.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 190
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   

Hey, "fart" made it through the filters! This is like the Google game where in order to win it you have to think of a word or phrase that when googled, it gets one, and only one, hit.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 629
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   

A tail-wind filter malfunction. Or perhaps it just lets a little one through, " But its all right now, in fact, its a gas!".
Just for the record Mike, I've nothing against the French. Any race that can have a 100 year war with England can't be all bad. We actually rescued a couple of French lads whose car had broken down at Loch Muick. Google that to see the round trip this entailed to Ballater and back. 30mph type roads. Red deer and sheep!
Ken, could you clarify which games you want me to replay? Rob Roy MacGregor and Sir James Dewar?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   

Oui, Oui, Monsieur!
(You're up late!)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 630
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 4:08 am:   

Dear,Dear Kenneth,
Dear dear indeed.You are in urgent need of a good holiday, in fact your brain appears to have left already. But what city did it select?
The next time I'm passing Rob Roy's grave, I'm going to tell him what a botch you made of his game. 23 minutes it took me!
But there's worse news. Mr Dewar's vacuum lasted for a miserable 11 minutes.
I blame Kirsten. Take a leaf out of Napoleon's book. "pas ce soir" madamoiselle. In fact you could reverse that too. Not tonight miss could advise you to miss tonight.
Ingrid says that the problem is that you are "completely clueless", so she's decided to give you one.She doesn't want to rob Roy's game of all it's fun but says that you play the JD from the stock, and the QD and 10D from the tableau up to the foundations.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 9:06 am:   

Richard, What a set of numbers! You showed BOTH Ingrid and I who is still the master. (Even though your clue was of no help, I slogged on and emerged triumphantly, with both remaining #'s.)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 631
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 10:46 am:   

Well done Ken, but you know what this means.
Triple Interchange_Sir John Sholto Douglas_1642281215
Triple Interchange_Sir Sandford Fleming_1783035391
Triple Interchange_Sir Walter Scott_617174592
Triple Interchange_Sir William Arrol_778006912
These too are unclassified, and thereafter just another 4 remain. Then unlucky for someone :-) 13 #'s from the laxative section await you. They'll make you run for cover.
There are occasions that I actually feel sorry for you, (probably).
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   

I tried to rescue a couple of French lassies one time. Problem was they didn't want to be rescued by ME. Couldn't I take a golf cart on the 50 meters around Loch Muick. Or maybe a Buick.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   

Maybe you were deafening them with your loud golf trousers. Mind you they might be handy during the 2.5 mile walk around the loch, to frighten off the hordes of savage midges. Billy Connolly once described them as "Two rows of teeth and an --------"
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   

I live in Southern California. We wear shorts all year round. To get on the topic of this thread for a minute. I tried a game of Triple. I am confused on the right plays but I will figure it out. It seems I am missing some cards. That's not true I know but like I said in one of my first posts "all these cards confuse my poor little brain".
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 193
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 4:36 am:   

Mission accomplished, sir. Sir, yes sir, may I have another???

BTW, just curious, Richard, do you always play with the auto-play off?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 5:12 am:   

Certainly Ken, Here is the final four before the waste hits the fan!
Triple Interchange_St.Patrick_1100533376 (Yes, THE St.Patrick.Born in Scotland)
Triple Interchange_Thomas Blake Glover_1739908863
Triple Interchange_William (Captain) Kidd_822398144
Triple Interchange_William Ged_1893035775

Re auto-play, yes it's always off, no matter what game I'm playing. When a game is obviously won I just click the auto tab to clear the screen. My volume is also turned off totally.

To Mike,
California eh? Well here's a good chat up line for you courtesy of one Jim M.
"Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light
Or just another lost angel...City of Night?"
Don't need PGS if you play your cards right.
Mr Mojo Butler!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 638
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 5:20 am:   

An afterthought Mike:-
I can't think of a more frightening combination, shorts and midges! If you ever visit the west of Scotland you'll learn how the Highland Fling evolved.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:07 am:   

I have to think too hard if I always play with the auto-play turned off. I let it do all the work for me, and if the game isn't turning out the way I want, then I turn it off. (I do have it on the slowest animation speed possible so that I can see what it's doing.)
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   

All right, I won one. #1523539840
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 2:52 am:   

Good job, Mike! And it wasn't exactly an easy one either. There were like 4 or 5 times where you had to make an decision about what card to play where, and if didn't work out, you just went back to the spot, and tried another combination, right? So, you're on to the secret of winning TI. The numbers that Richard posts are just like that (other than the fact that you have like 20-30 choices to make per game!) Ken
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 3:18 am:   

Mike, Try this # that Richard posted. #822398144
It's not easy (heck, if it was easy, it wouldn't be any fun!), but it seems to be relatively straightforward.

P.S. to Richard I'm done with the last batch. Bring on the Dirty (Baker's) Dozen!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 641
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 5:02 am:   

Thanks Ken, I can now delete that entire folder. The following are not so much "fun" games, as "fan" games. You'll get browned off playing them!
Triple Interchange_George Cleghorn _1038741504 (Can YOU find a cure).
Triple Interchange_Hubert Booth_1584508160 (He'll clean you out).
Triple Interchange_James Chalmers _872532416 (Come dine with me?)
To Mike,
Glad you're getting into the swing of things with TI's. It will take you a while to develop your own method, but you'll find you'll solve more of them, more quickly too.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   

I've solved #1 thru #7. I'll give #822398144 a try next. Taking them in order just for fun.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:00 am:   

Richard, the last two were easy, but the first one (#1038741504) deserves a permanent spot in the TI Hall of Fame (or should it be Hall of Shame?). I would clear out a column, no help. I would then clear out a different column, no help, etc. In fact, at one time, I had TWO empty columns, and it still took me an hour to win it!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 647
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 4:18 am:   

Hi Ken,
You're getting too good at this lark. If you want a REAL challenge then try the Elba that Mike posted (Game #27). Thereafter you will have to redefine what comprises "very difficult". If I tell you I spent hours at it and was close to giving up on several occasions, you may just comprehend how vicious this one is.
Anyway I have removed the following games from University standard to kindegarten as a result.

Triple Interchange_James Clerk Maxwell _163546561
Triple Interchange_James Dewar_902921408
Triple Interchange_James Watt _513302241
Let's see how much detention they give you.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   

OK here is one for you. #9. It looks like a pretty good test.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   

I got it. Still I think it should be a good test. On to #10.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 651
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   

Mike, games 10 and 11 are fairly average, but game 12 is a bit tricky. One thing that will make a big difference is if you ignore the two of clubs from the stock. It won't be long until you have one available in the tableau that helps open other columns up a bit.
I'll press on with a few more so that you don't bump into anything nasty.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   

You were right about 10&11. 10 was a bit of a challange. On to 12.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 652
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   

Mike, I think you'll find 13 a bit harder than average, and 14 a bit trickier.But 15 is in an entirely different league.
Ken, Mike has inflicted this one on you. Please Google this guy, You'll be impressed.
Triple Interchange_Donald Dinnie_15.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   

12&13 done.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   

14&15 done. I had never heard of Donald Dinnie before. Thanks for mentioning him. I will have to go see his statue some day.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 654
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   

WELL DONE INDEED! You cracked #15!! You must have found a better route in than I did, because I found it difficult.
Re Donald Dinnie the following link is a good one. It has a photo of the stones. Strangely I just went back to find it and followed a link it contains for other successful lifters, and was astonished to find an old friend of mine amongst them.(Syd Strachan).
http://gordondinnie.com/Stones.html
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 655
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 3:45 am:   

My dear Kenneth, re your question concerning knighthoods, I toyed with suitable titles for yourself. Master came out tops.
Master = Man Addicted (to) Superlative Triples Especially Richards.
As this mode of address is also used for young boys, I didn't think it was entirely suitable. One would like to give one one, (as Prince Charles once said to Lady Di), but another Sir would only lead to confusion; mine!
But then I remembered that I'd made you an honorary Scotsman, and what higher accolade is possible?
I once had a T-Shirt printed for one of my best friends who was leaving the area to go and work in Shetland.
It read "HONORARY SCOTSMAN", and in brackets below, "One less bleeding Englishman". To his eternal credit he proudly wore it in the pub the night before he left.
So you'll just have to Mac do with Ken, you ken.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 9:01 am:   

Did he go work with ponies?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 658
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:28 am:   

If you're referring to a Pony in its slang meaning ie £25, then you'd still be way off the mark for his hourly rate of pay! You and I would have been happy to work for what he paid in income tax! If however you're referring to those bad tempered little horses, he may have invested in one of those to carry his wallet. Lucky sod!

How are you getting on with the last TI's? Did you try Mike's one, Triple Interchange_Donald Dinnie_15. It's possibly not as difficult as I thought, so it might be a case of dinnie bother.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:48 am:   

#15 was easy, as was #163546561, but #902921408 is another story! It's enough to make a Shetland pony whinny!
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   

Yes that's right. If Mike can solve it it can't be to hard. Just kidding. You guys are a lot better than I am at these. Sometimes it comes down to making one or two good plays early in the game that saves you from having to go back and try a different approach. Have you tried Elba #27 yet? It is a fun one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 660
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   

Mike making allowances for me !! I see I'll have to sharpen my talons. I've obviously been too nice to people lately. His reasoning is sound enough though, but I will add that I normally watch TV at the same time except when I'm into a particularly nasty one.
Mike says that Elba #27 is fun! It's about as amusing as the Duke of Argyll's.(rhyming slang).
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   

Ok Wizards, Here is one for you. TI #27. Oh my! Another 27.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 665
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:37 am:   

Hi Mike, It had me going for a spell, but when I wand to win you know what happens.
If I lay claim to Merlin, would that mean that Ken must be Rasputin?
You'll finish it from here.
application/octet-streamAbracadabra
Triple Interchange_Breakthrough_27.pgs (3.2 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 666
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:12 am:   

Sorry Mike, looks like I was being too optimistic in thinking that the game would surrender from where I left it. Looks like it will be a lot harder that I thought. Back to the drawing board!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 5:44 am:   

Mike I am now confident that I have exhausted every possible variable in this game and declare it as unwinnable. It's not even possible to get a column clear.
You've got a talent for finding games like this.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Advanced Solitaire Player

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   

I also have a talent for picking bad lottery numbers, horses, winners of the Super Bowl and countless other things. Guess I will move on to #28.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   

Ok, I got another one. TI #31. Take a look.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   

Never mind I got it. But it was a pretty good one. At least for me. On to #32.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 669
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   

You message is a bit ambiguous Mike, but I assuming that you don't mean you've won #31. I found it quite difficult. Posting a solution for your eyes only. Don't want Ken to get lazy, do we?
application/octet-streamNot for Ken
Triple Interchange_Difficult_31.pgs (9.9 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   

Didn't notice your second post Mike, but yes it is quite a good one. (understatement). You're definitely getting the hang of them now!
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   

Sorry, I don't always make myself clear. Finished #32 also. Switched over to the Elba number I have been working on. Look for the number over at Elba thread.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:39 am:   

31 was easy, but #902921408 was not. I was ALMOST to the point of asking for help, but the thought of that spurred me on to vanquish it. Keep them coming!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 671
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 2:49 am:   

Difficult, or not forKen difficult? That is the question.
You'll be on the holiday countdown now Ken, and so are we. Liz has a nine day block booked commencing the 22nd, so May may be a lean month for TI's. My stock of saved games is running low, but I'll try to find a few more and post them before I leave. Wouldn't want you getting rusty.
The weather this side of the pond has been fantastic for weeks, and is forecast to get even hotter. Glad Mr.Bush now believes in global warming, because we're starting to get fried already.
Triple Interchange_Kirkpatrick Macmillan _923775424
Triple Interchange_Robert Foulis_1319447808
Triple Interchange_Robert William Thomson_1614827263
Of couse I'd have plenty of TI's lined up for you if it wasn't for that man Butler finding jobs for me. Isn't a butler supposed to be the ultimate servant? Looks like Michael has forgotten to read his job description.
Your humble servant, Richard.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   

We MacButlers haven't been in service since we came to America. William Wallace freed us and we ran away.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   

PS: I know there is a gap between Wallace and when it was possible to come to America. But my ancestors wandered in the desert for many years.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 674
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   

Are you sure that William Wallace didn't deport the Butlers for puting sand in his Jockstrap? He will be eagerly awaiting tonight's election results, keen to see if all his hard work was in vain. If the polls are correct they are going to have to rewrite "Flower of Scotland". As a matter of fact, I'll probably get in there first.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   

#1 through #50 complete. Seems only #27 is not winnable. Guess I should have skipped that one. BTW. It was not only sand but some of those Loch Murik critters too. No wonder he was so mad.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 676
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 3:22 am:   

I'm presuming you meant Loch Muick (pronounced Mick). We also have a Loch Ken. The queen asked me to re-name a few of them one time we went for a few pints. I guess she had one too many judging by the hash she made writing down your name.
Congrats re the first 50, but there's some bad news! If you completed 100 per day for the next 50 years, you'd need 1175 helpers doing likewise to get through the lot. Count me out! I'm not cutting down to just 100 games per day.
Incidentally,The Scottish Nationalist Party won the most seats in the elections on Thursday. Their aim is to break away from England and go it alone. Thoughts?
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   

Loch Muick. I new that. Like Buick. Relying to much on my faulty memory. OK, you talked me out of it. I won't try too play all the possible games in order. Just thought it might be fun to see how many of the first ones were solvable. Guess we found out the answer to that.
Not to get too political here but it would seem to me that if would not be a terrible idea to become independent. There are certainly many ties to England (Great Britain)pick the correct one. And you have some financial concerns. But it would work out. Here in the US, California will probably split north and south some day. And may try to leave the republic all together. Solitaire will still be played. (just to stay within board rules, I added that) ;)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   

No offense (or offence), Richard, but I was beginning to think you had lost your touch. The recent TI's you had posted were barely challenging, and with the last batch you had posted, after winning the first one quickly, I was about ready to put you out to pasture with your friend's Shetland ponies. But those last 2 are QUITE challenging. I finally won Mr. Thomson, but Mr Foulis has me all "fouled" up. Any clues would be much appreciated. My humblest apologies for ever doubting you, sir!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 677
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:10 am:   

Hi Mike, I didn't intend to put you off playing the games numerically, but quite like the Lottery the numbers are stacked against you.
Was astonished that California could split from USA. Surely not! Are they mad? As least Scotland was once a seperate country, has its own legal system, and fairly recently its own parliament. We were at war with England for hundreds of years, but it may be a case of "better the devil you know, than the one you don't". I'm undecided and will wait the three years that the will be empowered before I reach any decision.

Hi Ken, I'm glad that you've fallen foul of my pal Robert. Anyone who dared upset Samuel Johnston by contradicting him and arguing back,is worthy of respect. I ran the game back and was surprised by the number of cards I refused to move early in the game. I don't recall the reasons behind this but I'm certain there were some.Posting a partial solution in which several key decisions appear to have been made.
application/octet-streamFair is Foulis, and Foulis is fair.
Triple Interchange_Macbeth_1319447808.pgs (3.0 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 679
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 4:25 am:   

Fair is Foulis, and Foulis is fair. But witch is which?
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:13 am:   

Thanks, Richard. The key was not playing the 4 of diamonds or 7 of spades when they first appear, after that, it was easy. You're still the King. Long live the King!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 681
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:48 am:   

Flattery will get you everywhere. Particularly with women? (Note how I made that a question rather than a statement). These are the little wrinkles you have to learn when dealing with the fair seks. A little bit of cow-towing doesn't go amiss either.
Je suis Le Roi? Merci! And that's what you'll be crying for before you're much older.
Triple Interchange_James Hutton_1819944831
Triple Interchange_Jenny Geddes_1744865535
Triple Interchange_Robert William Thomson_1614827263
Triple Interchange_Sean Connery_1435626496
These are just alphabetical from the "difficult" folder. This tag may not be appropriate for YOU on occasions. but it's a fair appraisal for folk like Mike with less TI expertise.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 682
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 9:55 am:   

Triple Interchange_Robert William Thomson_1614827263 DUPLICATE, please ignore.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   

Ok, I got one for you guys. #54. It took me a while, but I got it. Going to try Richards numbers now.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 683
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   

Hi Mike, #54 was a good one. Well done for solving it. No lies, it took me 35 minutes. If I'd have given it a bit more respect from the outset, I may have done slightly better. Interested to hear how Ken gets on with it.
Re your Elba post, I couldn't replay an Elba game and expect to get it to come out every time. Just a single move out of the correct order can make all the difference.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   

I finished your numbers. They were as advertised. Pretty tough. The last one #1435626496 really got me toward the end. I kept playing the wrong card. Don't ask me which one. But the light finally went on and I got it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 684
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   

Well Mike, I'm flabbergasted. In fact my flabber has never been so gasted.
Why not try #1551947136 to let Ken catch up?
Ken's already done it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   

Ok, I'll give it a try. Also try Dr. Butler's Flabber Pills. They are guaranteed to ungast your flabber. They may also help some other moooooovement.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 204
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   

Richard, Remember just a few short weeks ago when Mike was saying he would never be as good as us in TI? I think he was sandbagging us (or insert appropriate Scottish expression here) because I'm going to have sleep on #54, and come back fresh tomorrow morning. I think he has snatched the pebble out of our respective hands!
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   

I solved #1551947136. That was terrible. Once again I don't know what I did. I was stuck in the same place at what seemed to be the end then I did something different and that was it. Even the blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:32 am:   

Hi Ken, I'm at a loss here. Some unknown cheil has arrived at the TI Olympics and has snatched a gold medal in front of an incredulous crowd. A drogs test has been ordered. Dr.Bulter's Flabber Pills are to be analysed to see it they contain the banned substance BS Americanus. It appears to have cleared up the Black Death very speedily!
Lets see how it compares to
Triple Interchange_Preparation H_1924180607
I'm still working on this one. Let's see which of we three can upload the solution first.
It's encouraging that blind squirrels get their nuts occasionally too.
(Typo is another word banned in forum).
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   

Oh for the life of that guy in that Scottish Play. My head hurts. This new one is terrible. Thanks Richard.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:18 am:   

Yahoo! I got it. Once again don't ask me how. I finally got to another 6h so I could play the stupid 5h. I almost missed the fact I uncovered the 6h. That got me an open column.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 686
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 3:22 am:   

The challenge was to be the first to UPLOAD a Preperation H solution, or even an ointment. It may be a disappOINTMENT to you, but I hereby claim your scalp, although there is a more appropriate area of application. Apparently it's an effective anti-wrinkle treatment. It was possibly that witch-hazel from Macbeth who first discovered it, but she may have sat on it too long as someone else got in there first, (with a patent).
Seriously though, why don't you save your games so that you know exactly how they were won? Then you'd be able to upload them and share them with others in the forum. "Don't ask me how" is no help to anyone trying to solve the same game.
So it's One-Nil Richard, (or Won Nil Mike).
Triple Interchange_Gordon Ramsay_1210828544 is your reward. I taught my fellow Glaswegian,"The F Word" chef, everything he knows.
application/octet-streamMums the word?
Triple Interchange_Preperation H_1924180607.pgs (9.3 k)
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   

I don't know how to post a solution. It is one of the questions I have been meaning to ask. With the time difference you solved it before me anyway. Not another Richard special challange. The last one messed up my tiny brain enough. Perhaps the ointment may help. Why isn't Hamlet referred to as "The Danish Play" just wondering.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   

Hi Mike, I was being naughty anyway, and had solved it before I posted it so I knew it was a difficult one.
Macbeth was a general in the army of King Duncan of Scotland when they defeated an invading army from Norway and Ireland. He was Thane of Glamis and Cawdor. Both are estates with castles, and are located in Scotland. I've visited Cawdor and will probably visit Glamis later this month. BTW I hated Shakespeare at school, (doesn't everyone?)
Posting solutions is not that difficult. Even Ken can do it!!! Will locate a previous post for you in a minute.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   

Thanks Richard, I see how to post the games now. Finished #1210828544. I figured you must have solved it. It would be very cruel (but probably very Scottish) to put one up there that you knew could not be solved. :-)
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:47 am:   

Not having much luck uploading file. #57 is a good one. When I click on browse after going to upload attachment PGS does't find the file.
text/plainMike's Revenge
Triple Interchange_57.1.pgs (11.5 k)
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 73
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:49 am:   

Looks like it might have worked.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 690
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:45 am:   

Well done Mike. I've just got a few minutes before I go out but it's unusual for the browse not to locate the files. If it happens again, try this.
In the window it should show "My Computer" somewhere. Click on Open for this. The click open for C drive. Then open for windows. Then open for Application data. Then open for Goodsol. Then open for PGS. Locate file therein and click to open.
Usually doing this the once is enough, and it will find it without fail thereafter.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 691
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:53 am:   

I take my hat off to you for winning #57. I was at it for 47 minutes before it shouted "Uncle".
In future when you have a little gem like this, don't post the solution until either Ken or myself concede defeat. I'm beginning to wonder if you've not got a few more tucked away that you're going to thump us with shortly.
Now that you have a saved game that you can open, you can do so and then click undo repeatedly and unwind the game to anywhere you want, and save it as many times as you want in the process. This is how I've provided you with "base camps" in Elba.
application/octet-streamRevenge is sweet but so is
Triple Interchange_Death By Chocolate_57.pgs (6.8 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:57 am:   

I should have mentioned that if you are saving the same game at various stages in its development, you must enter slightly different names for each.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   

Hi all. I figured you and Ken would have no trouble with 57 so I used it as my test. I used 57.1 and 57.2 and so on as my save point references. It was a little difficult to find them but I think I have figured that out. Thanks for the help.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   

BTW. I may have found another good one in #58.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 693
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   

#58 took 15 mins. Not clear from your post whether you've solved it or not.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   

I solved it. After I made the post. It took me a little longer to solve it than your time but that comes as no surprise. I think you can see further ahead in plays than I can. Also you can probably count the cards and get a good idea of the hidden cards.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 694
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 3:42 am:   

Hi Mike, Once again we are trying to give defintitions regarding difficulty, when actually it's impossible to get it right. What I have classed as a game of medium difficulty may prove to be ridiculously easy for one player, and very difficult for another. It's possible that I could play the same game number again (without knowing), and come up with a different evaluation of it depending on the moves I made the second time.
I've posted a few "times" recently, but this was just to help you to compare your progress with myself and Ken. If I've knocked out a game in 20 minutes and it's taken you roughly the same, then we are fairly well matched, but with some game numbers you will outstrip me, and vice versa. I think we should settle on a policy of giving our own classification when we post numbers for each other to try. We've got to enjoy playing these games or there's no point to it. It's just puting unnecessary pressure on each other by posting how long it took.
#59 is fairly average, but #60 is a bit tricky.
To Ken,
We've not heard how you're doing with the barrage of numbers that have been posted recently.
I still have about a dozen "difficults" in reserve. Please let me know if you're ready for any more. Mike is doing his own thing, working numerically, so we're not holding him up.
Only FIVE DAYS to your holidays. Lucky man!
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 4:57 am:   

Richard, I'm going out of town for work before my holiday, so I don't know if I will be able to finish up the current numbers before I go. So save the difficult numbers for me! I'll have something to look forward to on my triumphant return.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 695
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 5:33 am:   

4:57 am !!!!!
Your will is my command. You'll be returning from your hols around the same time as we're going on ours, so I'll ensure that I've posted something with a few teeth for you to lock jaws with on your return. Have a super holiday.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   

Hi Richard and Ken and All. I haven't played enough games yet to really come up with a difficulty rating. I have in the past mentioned games for you both to try if they seem especially difficult. Like #27. Usually if I solve them fairly easily I don't mention them. You guys are better at rating them than I am. Ken, hurry back from your work and Holiday so we can make some plans while Richard is gone. Let us know what you did in France. There is still a lot I haven't done in Paris as well as most of the rest of France. BTW, I am up to game #66. Just starting but it might be tricky. I will let you know.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   

#66 proved to be easy. Moooooooving on.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   

Richard. Take a look at #87. It seems to be a bit of a tester. I haven't solved it yet.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   

Hi Mike, Thanks for #87, I was getting bored. May have quite a bit left under its belt, but I think that this partial solution is pretty perfect. Don't be in a hurry to fill the empty column, and I've got a feeling that the 4C in column 4 should stay there for a while yet.
application/octet-streamA Good start.
Triple Interchange_A_87.pgs (3.1 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 704
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   

Sorry Mike, but the "Good start" that I posted is not quite good enough. Your game is winnable, but I would class it a difficult/very difficult. From the new start you will be able to win it eventually. Please don't post your solution until after Ken has had a decent shot at it.
Thanks again for this one Mike. It's a beauty.
application/octet-streamOn the right track.
Triple Interchange_A improved_87.pgs (3.0 k)
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   

I was wondering how difficult you would think #87 was. I solved it after I wrote the post. I only like to call them to Ken and your attention if they are worthy. I have to remember to save right before it's solved.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 707
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   

Well done mate. I saved it anyway, so we can torment Ken when he gets back from his holidays.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 12:11 am:   

I think I have a real good one for you this time. #90. It's getting late here and I am a little sleepy so I may be missing something. But it seems pretty tough.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 709
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 3:41 am:   

Number 90 is winnable Mike, but I'd rate it as a VERY difficult. With my full concentration from the outset, it took me 45 minutes! You're finding some little gems. Let me know if you want a partial solution.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   

I finally got it. That was a tough one. I guess I better start playing more Elba till Ken gets back. I don't want to find any more like that one right now. I was trying to print some pictures while I was working on #90 so it took me a little longer. But I would think I spent a good 2 hours on it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 711
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   

I find that all you are doing when you play against the clock is increasing the pressure on yourself, and you increase the chance of missing something that could have been a good move.
I wouldn't worry unduly about Ken. He'll not be bothered if he misses out on a few games.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   

I've got another one. #94. I think this one is really hard. I don't time myself. Just try to finish them. I get distracted and then can't remember what I was doing. But I am sure you solve them much easier than I. As far as Elba goes, you are the Wizard of Elba.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   

I have not solved #94. Can't get a free column yet.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   

I solved it. It is indeed a tough one.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 712
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   

Hi Mike,
Sorry I missed your 3 posts. Been busy today. Have just solved #94 in quite a quick time, so I'd only rate it as moderate/difficult.
Strange how little it can take to make all the difference. Once you get so far down one road, it takes a bit of doing to unwind and take a different route.
I have a little trick that saves me quite a bit of time in an undo situation. I undo to the point I want, let's say a ten of clubs, because I've have found a six of clubs in the tableau that cannot be moved by building upwards to it. I then run rapidly through the stock and see if there is a nine,eight and seven in there. I then build them onto the ten, but make no other moves at all during the process. It help me keep mind on the immediate problem, and prevents me drifting off on tangents.
Keep posting interesting numbers, but bear in mind that I have quite a few things to do in the next few days prior to going on hols.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 12:20 am:   

Good grief, Richard. I find what I think is a hard one and you make Haggis out of it. I thought getting to those hearts was a challange. I have finished the first 100 hands. Only one unsolvable. Only 1 million+ to go. Be finished by next Friday. :-) I hope you have a nice holiday. Looking forward to the details.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:04 am:   

Hi Mike, From memory I think that my breakthrough came from refusing to play a club up onto the foundations and sticking it into column two. I then found the other missing clubs in the stock and transferred the clubs from column one onto column two. This got me a space quite early and freed an ace simultaneously. The game took 18 minutes because of this single strategy.
We're going on holiday in a weeks time, and have just bought a new motor-home. We've lots to do to get this organised beforehand. I've also got a greenhouse full of hundreds of plants that will have to be planted outside before we leave. Will keep checking for posts each day before then

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration