Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Scorpion II #923934721Richard Mechen 6-01-07  4:17 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 207
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:56 am:   

Richard, You're a better man than me (as if there was no doubt!) because here I am leaving to France tomorrow, and I'm still playing. (Of course, I don't have a Liz to "urge" me on!). I didn't find #'s 90 or 94 particularly difficult, but I'm STILL working on #1744865535. So if could post a clue so that I won't have any unfinished business left, I would appreciate it.
Bon Voyage!
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   

I must be getting soft in my old age, but I can't have you fretting about a PGS game. This should help you a tr-Eiffel.Hope you have a great holiday.
application/octet-streamC'est ne pas marde
Triple Interchange_Get some kip mate_1744865535.pgs (3.5 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   

Mike, Please try this #1744865535. You can even start it from where Richard posted it (since I had already got that far on my own anyway). Is it just me, or is it next to impossible to get any 2 of clubs out? Thank God, I'm going on holiday tomorrow!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 719
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   

Go to France. Genius cannot work in such a stressful environment.
application/octet-streamPour vous mon petite.
Triple Interchange_Mon Dieu_1744865535.pgs (5.7 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 720
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   

Concentrate on getting the two of clubs out of column two.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   

Sorry I meant column ONE.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 722
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   

You are very close to releasing the key card, the seven of spades from column three, and it is the king of diamonds from column seven that goes onto foundations. The other on stays put in column two.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   

Thanks, Sir Richard! The key card definitely was the seven of spades. After that, it was easy!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 724
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   

That snailed it eh? Now just frog-et about it and take French leave with our consent, nay, our insistance. Try not to worry too much about what will be waiting here for you when you get back. Adieu mon ami
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Advanced Solitaire Player
Username: Butler77

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   

Hi there. I had already escarGOT #1744865535. Richard posted it a while back. I did go back and try it again, and it is indeed a good one.
Richard. Are the roads around Scotland big enough for a motor home? Ken. Have a great time in France.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 725
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 3:27 am:   

Hi Mike,
Some of the roads we choose are "unclassified". That means that they are very narrow, with perhaps a foot of road on either side of the vehicle. Obviously there are passing places every so often,but sometimes there will be a sheer drop on one side and a vertical rock face on the other. If you're unlucky enough to meet a vehicle on such a stretch it may mean reversing for several hundred yards until you reach a passing place. All that time you are praying that no one else is coming up the road behind you. I've only seen two vehicles locked together once. It took 20 minutes to get them apart.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   

Hi Richard. Take a look at #103 when you get back. Not real tough but I found it interesting. No rush, as I solved it. Where are you going on this trip. I read your other posts about your travels and really found them informative. I have driven a few roads that I would not liked to have tried in a motor home. In the Alps and our Rocky Mountains. I can't even imagine driving one in Paris Or London.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   

103 was an enjoyable game. It had a few twists and turns too.
Re my holidays, I seem to have confused you a little. We're not leaving until tuesday 22nd, but I have quite a few things to get organised first so I've less time than usual to fritter away in PGS. We're going back to the area south east of Edinburgh, and will wander down into England as far as Berwick-On-Tweed. We are also revisiting North Berwick which is about 30 miles north of the other Berwick. It goes without saying that we have one or two decent hostelries (including one with a brilliant French chef) to revisit too.
We want to go back to the Scottish Seabird Centre now that the puffins have returned to nest. Have a decko at the web cams at this link. The ones they have on site are awesome and you operate them yourself.
http://www.seabird.org/home.asp
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   

Hi Richard. I knew you were going after Ken got back. And also that you were going to be busy. So I am saving up my #'s till you get back. they seem to be moderate in difficulty I think. #107 & #111. When you have time see if I am close in my evaluation. I looked at the sea bird sites. The one with the Puffins, I seem to be catching at the wrong time. It is dark. Maybe I need to wake up earlier. I will have to get my map of England out and look up the Berwicks. Do they have a golf course around. I guess you wouldn't know (or care) but I will check on-line.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   

Richard: Forget those other two numbers. Try #113 when you have some time.
I looked up Berwick-On-Tweed. Looks like a real interesting place. Many golf courses near by. On the coast with great scenery.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 732
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 3:15 am:   

#113 took me 85 minutes, most of which was spent trying to get my first column clear! I'd rate this as "very difficult+". So much for my master plan of getting up 2 hours early today to get some things done. What the heck! When I've finished typing this I'm gonna put the kettle on again!
Confusing having two Berwicks so close together, particularly when you come across a road sign that just says Berwick,and you don't know which one they're talking about.
B-on-Tweed is in England, whilst North Berwick is about 30 miles further up the coast in Scotland.
I can't speak so much for England, but Scotland is absolutely littered with golf courses. There is in excess of 600 lochs in Scotland, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had more golf courses.
Scotland is a bit like a tardis, you wonder how it's possible to get so much in, yet there are loads of places virtually untouched by man.
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   

Richard. I finished #113. Thanks to you for solving it. So I was encouraged to find a way to the finish. Sorry to put that one up when you had things to do. Good thing I know what the Tardis is. It could have been some sort of Scottish stew.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   

It was an excellent game Mike. At times I was beginning to think it was unwinnable, as I came to one dead end after another. But once I cleared a column it practically gave up. I'm very impressed that you won it too. You're definitely up to speed now.
I managed to get everything done that I'd pencilled in for today, so no harm done by me bunking off.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 742
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 9:18 am:   

I promised Ken that I'd post some TI numbers before I go on holidays, so I'd better do so now before I run out of time. Some of them may not be all that difficult, but before I bothered to save them, they must have given me a problem or two.
Triple Interchange_Alexander Winton_117518273
Triple Interchange_Jock Stein_1611266815
Triple Interchange_Richard Dudgeon _1714217343
Triple Interchange_Sir Arthur Conan Doyle_1266504960
Triple Interchange_Sir David Stirling_14087124
Triple Interchange_Sir Dugald Clerk_139660881
Triple Interchange_Sir Robert Watson-Watt _1074353024
Triple Interchange_Jamesie Cotter_476056961
Triple Interchange_Rab. C. Nesbitt__129783521
Triple Interchange_tricky_1218476160
Triple Interchange_tricky_1397988352
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   

Richard. I have been reading more about the Berwicks. I realise how much of the world I haven't seen. We had hopes of going to Ireland and England this year but that is not going to happen. I have tried to get to Scotland in the past but never made it. Some day. BTW, how is Berwick pronounced. I know how we would say it but what is correct.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 2:21 am:   

I'm honoured and encouraged that you take the time to research people and places I mention in my posts. The W is not pronounced in Berwick, so it rhymes with derrick. Just having my morning cuppa. Busy day ahead, so I doubt if I'll be back into the forum until well into the evening. May catch you later.
Frances Cammisa (Yankeegal)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Yankeegal

Post Number: 201
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 5:57 am:   

Richard, I have to tell you--I love the Scottish "patois"--and I would love to visit your lovely country, if there was only a way to get there without flying--
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 749
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 6:59 am:   

Maria, We'll have to enlist the help of Captain Kirk, and get Scotty to beam you over. I do invite you to take a virtual holiday here however. Just click on the link below to be transported to Shangri La. Explore it thoroughly, It's far better than TV. Enjoy.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/
Mike Butler (Butler77)

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 11:42 am:   

Richard, nevermind, Scotland is out as a tourist destination. There are just too many places to see. I don't have that much time. Maybe I'll just visit the distilleries. (and a couple of golf courses) BTW, how do you pronounce Uig.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   

Yes Mike equating Scotland to a tardis wasn't far short of the mark. We've been exploring it for years and have only seen a fraction of what's on offer. Uig is pronounced OOO-IG. We stayedon the first floor of a nice little hotel there a few years back, and our room overlooked Captain Fraser's Folly.
Re a tour of distilleries, that's a pretty tall order too. There are loads of them all over the place. About 4 years ago we stayed in a hotel on Islay (EYE-LA) and met a young Japanese man (24ish). He'd never been out of Japan in his life but was desperate to visit this island, so he flew from Tokyo to Cork in southern Ireland, and then from there to Islay. He'd cycled all round the island, and also neighbouring Jura, visiting all the distilleries. Fourteen I think. As he didn't seem to have much money I took it upon myself to ply him with some of the range of booze on offer. He was absolutely wrecked when we saw him the next day. No big surprise as we never had two drinks the same the entire night. He was then catching the ferry over to Oban and going to cycle up Speyside to visit all the distilleries there. Google that route and see what the poor lad had in front of him.
I think I'll be getting a bullet from Thomas shortly for abusing his forum facility. I promise to post nothing else for at least a week.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   

When you all get back from your holidays I have a few good ones. #153. Which I cannot solve. #168 and #169. I solved them, but thought they were worthy enough to mention. I have played all the games from #1 to #170 now. Only a few more to go. Hope you are having a great time. (while I am just sitting around watching the waves go in and out) Moooving on.
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   

Hi Mike
It sounds like a good life just sitting around watching the waves going in and out.Unfortunately I live about 40 miles from the coast so I don`t get to do it as often as I would like.I have had a few tries at#153 and have had no luck.I think it will be very difficult.
Trisha
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:00 am:   

Hi Tricia. Actually I have to go a mile down the road to the beach. But sometimes I think I can hear the surf from here. I don't think #153 is solvable but I will have to wait till the experts get back from their holidays. Keep playing others though.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 755
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   

Hi Mike,
The wanderer has returned, and has already spent over an hour on your #153. I'm not surprised that you and Tricia have failed to solve it. I'm pretty certain it's unwinnable but will have a few more goes tomorrow until I'm absolutely sure.
I thought that Ken would be back from France by now! Perhaps he's banged up in the Bastille or somewhere equally unappealing.
It will be thursday before I get back into PGS properly. Liz has another two days hols but wednesday will be dominated my normal hospital routine, so we'll have to make the most of tuesday. Catch you again soon.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   

Hi Richard. Welcome back. Looking forward to tales of your trip I went back over the various other messages in the Triple Interchange threads. I have learned a lot about what you all have been up to. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 756
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   

Hi Mike, I'm now certain that game 153 is unwinnable. I've tried every possible variation and get blocked every time.
Re our holiday, the following URL shows what was possibly the most curious and unique thing we saw.
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6U8J98
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   

I thought we might have to add #153 to the list of unsolvables. I think you and Ken found at least one more, after reading your past posts. Years ago I found half of nickle on the golf course. I pushed it into a tree. I have seen that nickle eaten by the tree over the years.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 9:49 am:   

There's some good news, and there's some bad news.
The good news is that I am wrong occasionally. That's exactly what I was saying to God just a few days ago, "You slipped up". I presented the argument that two sundays instead of just the one would make for a far better weekend. He was obliged to agree.
The bad news is that I was wrong about 153 being unwinnable, and that I am now awaiting someone else to POST a solution. Until then I will just have to be the sole member of the Double Albatross Club. Maybe by the time you solve it Mike one of your clubs will be ingested by the tree.
I'm beginning to think that Ken may have over-indulged avec le vin rouge and parked his bike up some tree.
Triple Interchange_Double Albatross_153
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 758
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:53 am:   

In case it gets lonely in the Double Albatross Club,I'll help you out a little. It's column three that is the first one to get emptied.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   

Howdy, boys! I had a great time on holiday, except the weather wasn't the best. It was rainy and cold 1/2 the time I was there. I'm sure, Richard, that you are used to bad weather living in Scotland, but Mike and I living in California and Florida, are not used to it. 12 degrees C 3 days before June? Give me a break!
But the biking trip was still fun. We biked to all the WW II sites: Ste Marie-Eglise, Pointe du Hoc, Utah Beach, Omaha Beach, Arromanches, the American Cemetery, etc. (One thing I definitely need to do for future bike trips is to get better on the hills). Living in FLAT Florida, I was sucking wind on the hills. Being passed by the little old ladies on the tour was definitely embarrassing!
But back to important matters, Triple Interchange. Richard, you posted that you tried every variation on #153 and nothing worked, so what made you keep trying?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   

Here's to that Flying Scot Richard. I am with Ken on #153. I don't know what made you keep going. I finally solved it. Yahoo!! I had already given up on it till that man of the highland country (even if he doesn't live in the highlands) kept at it. I think I had heard somewhere where some Scots were stubborn and this proves it. Great job. Have a try Ken.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Blackie9

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   

A good question.

application/octet-stream
Triple Interchange_153.pgs (8.5 k)

Thought I would give it a try since you guys seem to like it.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   

Probably not the best one to try as a starter.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 759
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   

Nice to have you back Mr.Millar, and I'm sure the people of France would share that sentiment. Imagine how disappointed those old grannies felt when they discovered you lot were not toy-boy material. The Florida Flounders.
I'm sorry that the French weather was not to your liking. We had super weather in Shangri La and even managed to come home with a tan. Never saw rain until we were practically home. This was followed by a heavy hail shower, then 48 hours of almost continual rain. We have an arrangement with the man upstairs who ensures that we always have great weather every time we go on holiday. Wouldn't matter if snowed for a week beforehand.
In many of the parts of Scotland we visit, the sheep have to wear parachutes and crash helmets because the terrain is so steep.
Better give PGS a mention! Game 153 kept bugging me,and I decided to see if I could beat my best score. One thing led to another and this enabled me to have a dig at Mike. No change here then.
Well done to Ken Blackwell for finding the finishing line. I should have held back the clue and frustrated the guys a bit longer.
I learned all my diplomacy skills from Rab C.Nesbitt,the Govan philosopher.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 187
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   

Not sure if your clue helped or not. I exausted pretty much all alternatives in the beginning game. which 8S to play on the 9 to start. With no 3d or jS in evidence the moves were limited.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   

I had a sheep comment to make here, but thought better of it. Hail, hail, the gangs all here.
On #153. I figured you had to clear that one column. But I got so focused on it that I never thought of some of the other plays you needed to make to do it. Just knowing that it could be won gave me new hope I could solve it. Glad everyone is home safe.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 4:13 am:   

Sheep comments should be baahned. I was told that this is true however.Attempting to steal sheep carried the death penalty, so starving highlanders so accused would plead that their intentions lay in another direction, and received a much lesser punishment. The origins of Plea Baahrgaining perhaps.
The sun is shining and it's a glorious day, so I've a lot of things to catch up with in the garden. See if you guys can find a winnable TI that I can't solve. Then perhaps you'll be able to shut me up.
Ken Blackwell (Blackie9)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:32 am:   

Not really a sheepish person but to keep the wolves at baaaa ya I find myself being hearded by the doggies. I have finished the first 5 in your list. Will keep it gooooooing bah.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 762
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 11:44 am:   

Thanks Ken, ewe're a man after my own heart, or ram I mistaken? I have occasionally been lambasted for propping up the baahr.
Patricia Traynier (Trisha)
Junior Solitaire Player
Username: Trisha

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   

Hi all, I also managed to solve #153 after a long struggle.Definitely a difficult one.
Trisha
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   

Welcome to the flock Trisha. Well done with 153. It wasn't easy.I am currently the lunatic-in-chief, but most of the others will soon be barking mad too.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 109
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   

Richard. While your out gardening, make sure you take care of your o'vines. Sorry. That's about all you left me. Anyway. I don't know if any the numbers I have run across since #153 are worthy of being sheared by you. Take a look at #187. See what you think so I can guage them better.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 767
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   

Was your comment re sheep mint saucily?
Will try 187 later. It's midnight now. Sane people would be bedded by now!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 769
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 8:33 am:   

To Ken Millar, I was intrigued by your choice of holiday destinations. I didn't know you were into that scene. A good many years ago, when I dabbled in Ebay,I had several email conversations with a guy from USA.He was looking for memorabilia from WW2. They had formed a group and acquired armoured vehicles etc, and met up quite frequently and knocked seven bells out of one another. Sounded like a good laugh, unlike the real thing which was anything but.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:28 am:   

Richard, It definitely was sobering to see all the WWII sites. I'm not a WWII nut, per se, I just wanted to go biking in France, and this particular tour was cheap. How's the biking in Scotland?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 770
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 10:54 am:   

All those graves must indeed be a sobering sight, but it has taught us nothing. The phrase that brasses be off completely is "gave their lives". Don't think so! They would all have prefered to have been 10,000 miles away; and alive! I have the utmost respect for the Belgians and the daily ceremonies they perform at the Menin Gate to honour the allied soldiers who perished nearby. The most sobering fact from WW1 is that the majority of the dead were never found, far less buried. "The war to end all wars", if only they knew.
Forget about a cycling holiday in Scotland unless you're talking about Royal Deeside or similar. Most of Scotland is very undulating, and a lot of it is mountainous. Hire a motor-bike or a car and it's a different ball game. Our last jaunt took us to a road summit called "Rest And Be Thankful", which is a relentless uphill climb. Cycle down it by all means.
My advice would be Holland or Belgium for terrain suitable for the Florida Flat Mates.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   

Richard, Hopefully the reason you didn't post the solution to #187 was you were busy gardening, not because you couldn't solve it!
text/plainLosing_Faith?
Triple_Interchange_Richard's_Folly_187.pgs (8.3 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 771
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 3:26 am:   

There are simpler explanations of course, the first being that it was far too simple a challange to squander time on. The second one is that I simply forgot.
Somme of us have been entrenched elswhere, as you remarked, but now Verdun. More Arras time at my disposal to indulge my Passchen.Daeleias.

To Mike, I would rate 187 as fairly difficult. Just for the record it took me 19 minutes, (around the same time as the Florida Flounders take to to cycle a mile).
Posting my solution so you can compare.
application/octet-streamEngaged on many fronts.
Triple Interchange_Lest We Forget_187.pgs (6.7 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 213
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 6:09 am:   

Excuse me!!! I think you meant to say a HILLY mile!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 773
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 6:16 am:   

My apologies. A hilly downhill mile.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 774
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 6:19 am:   

With a tail wind.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   

I guess playing PGS is NOT like riding a bike because I had a heckuva time winning #169. (#168 was easy.) Richard, did you have a difficult time with Mike's #, also? Or has my mental strength atrophied along with the corresponding increase in my physical strength due to biking hilly France?
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   

Ken. I guess you are going to have to change your screen name. I'm with Richard on the bike thing. A car is the way to go for me. When I ride the bike I sometimes forget to put my foot/feet down when coming to a stop. I then fall over and wonder what the heck happened. I knew you all would get #187. I was just trying to figure out difficulty so I wouldn't post numbers that were to easy. Although, as Richard has said in the past. Some puzzles are easier for one person and not for another. You all have played so many more games I will have to find some more like #153 to keep you interested. Finished all the way to #202 whith only the one # unsolvable so far.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 775
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   

Hi Ken, My brain must still be making its own way home because I've no recollection of even seeing 169 posted! I'm with you though, I found it far from easy. 44 minutes in fact. I'd rate it as a very difficult. I got a column clear in about five minutes, but consistantly got in a muddle thereafter.
Now that you've built up your leg muscles you could keep Mike happy by getting a car, and delight me by making it one of the Fred Flintstone models. With yourself and three mates all pedalling you could scoot round Sctland,in what, three, maybe four decades.
To Mike, I've heard of a handbrake and a foot-brake, but a head-brake is taking it a bit far. Not what I'd envisaged by going "flat out" on a bike. But at least you wouldn't hurt yourself. Perhaps you could should get stabilisers fitted.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   

I have to put the training wheels back on. It was my ribs that took the brunt of that last fall.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 12:19 am:   

Ok all, get on your tricycles and take a look at #212. I hope I have a tough one for you.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 778
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 4:34 am:   

It's nice to get your day off to a lousy start. It's also quite rare to start your day with an oxymoron.
After just 15 minutes, all the wheels came of my wagon, and the cherokees are talking about making kebabs for some obskewer reason.
#212 is surely unwinnable. The only column that gives you any hope is 7. Conversely you can't get into it without playing the 10D onto column 5. Thereafter you have nowhere left to put the 7D as the only 8D has already been used in getting this far. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. I'm backing unwinnable.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   

Are you absolutly unsure. I hoped it was a tough one and it is. I figure later on we will get a message saying you solved it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 780
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   

Hi Mike,
I'm not positively uncertain it's unwinnable, but I'm certainly positive that my negative opinion should remain unchanged until events unfold that that may or may not contradict the aforesaid. Hope that's cleared that up.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   

Ah Richard you have a real way with woirds. (not a spelling error)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   

Ken. I was wondering if the dummy with the parachute is still there in St Mere Eglise? Also did you see the Bayeux Tapestry. Where did you stay at night.
Richard. What did you do in Berwicks? Were the towns interesting. Questions, questions, questions.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   

Mike, Yes to the first question (and I've got the pictures to prove it). I stayed in Bayeux three nights, and I did see the tapestry. Have you ever been to the WWII museum in Caen? Awesome experience!
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:40 am:   

I've got pictures too. It was amazing to me to think of that guy hanging there and watching everything that was going on below him. Yes been to the museum in Caen. How many miles did you do each day? I guess you could do some of the sites on the same day.
OK guys try #232. So far I am getting nowhere with it
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:10 am:   

Mike I've rated TI 232 as pretty easy. I didn't time it but 15 mins would be fairly close. I got column 3 cleared first.
TI_Double_Bogey_232
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:31 am:   

Ok, new rule, no checking the PGS forum before going to bed.
text/plainWhat time is it?
Triple Interchange_nocturnal_submission_232.pgs (7.2 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 792
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 7:13 am:   

To Mike, Yes the paratrooper is still dangling from the church roof. The French are peculiar like that. They like to leave the odd corpse to decompose outside. It attracts tourists, and keeps the flies busy. This one is at the dead centre of town.
Never mind making lame excuses Ken. We know that the reason you can't sleep is that you've spent your entire holiday traipsing round graveyards and battlegrounds and have now got the heebie-jeebies. But those saddle sores would keep anyone awake. Billy Connolly reccommends wire brush and Dettol.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   

Today is the 63rd anniversary of D-Day. You should have timed you holidays a bit better mate.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   

I must have missed a play in 232. Went to the doctor today so haven't worked on it yet.
I am one of those tourists who like stuff like corpses hanging around on parachutes. But I am not into endless tours of this castle and that battlefield. I take a look around and then move on. There is a lot to see. Although, I could spend a lot of time at the Louvre or many days at our Smithsonium, which I did while I was in the Army and stationed just outside Wash DC. BTW, you never said if you passed the golf courses in Berwick-upon-Tweed. You probably didn't notice. You were looking at the sheep.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 795
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   

On our last jaunt we visited Lindisfarne Castle on the Holy Isle. It is one of the castles that the National Trust run. It looks like the residents have just gone out for a pint. Fulled furnished in every respect. The beds were even made. Not the kind of castles we like. The Holy Island is reached by a long causeway that is submerged for large periods each day. People are constantly being rescued standing on the roofs of their cars.
Try Historic Scotland's website. They're stuff is more interesting, and you're left to your own devices. Not into guided tours. Battlefields don't interest me much, but I was lucky enough to visit Culloden 3 times when I was in my teens. That place spooked me. Rough hewn gravestones were scattered all over the place,mass-graves, each bearing the name of the Clan who were buried there. Single ones marked where this clan chief and that clan chief had perished. The saddest ones were "Mixed Clans". Obviously cannon fire had made them unrecognisable. Now the scholars have restored it to what it was like on the day of the battle, and it's lost a lot in my opinion.
See if you can google an account of when they ran a road through it centuries later. Harrowing.
I've always fancied a long tour of your Smithsonian, but there are many many world class museums etc here that we never visit.
Golf courses have only one redeeming feature. They're a great place to find worms if you're going fishing. Otherwise we tend not to notice them, but quite a lot of the Gleneagles courses is visible from the minor road that we traverse en route to my favourite oasis in Perthshire.
Incidentally there has been a very recent sighting of Nessie, with quite good movie footage to support it. We wondered where all the sheep had gone.
richard.mechen@tiscali.co.uk
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   

Solved #232. I guess I was tired when I tried it before.
Nessie is loose again! I thought I tied her up. I can't believe I spelled Smithsonian wrong. Actually the Smithsonium is a smaller place just across the street. It houses pages of misspelled words.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:20 am:   

So it was you! I suppose you threw a rope over her head and gave it a good Yank. Actually it was one of Nessie's kids that you caught. The poor wee thing was just coming back from the public data-base at Drumnadrochit. That's where we keep lists of all the words that Americans mispronounce. It's a BIG building. We've got a duplicate Smithsonian in it too. And a Lourve.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   

We tend to think that the people who live in other parts of the world just don't know how to pronounce the names of the places they live in correctly. Sort of like the French who like to change american names to sound better in their language. BTW, it's called a lasso or lassoo depending on what part of the country you live in.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 801
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   

I like your philosophy. We used to infuriate exchange French teachers by pronouncing everything exactly the way it's written. The French are pretty short on a sense of humour at times. Well at least the ones we abused were. Mental cruelty I think it's called thesedays. Most Scots tend to do the same thing with Gaelic. I'm sure they must have been as drunk as lords when they committed it to paper.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   

Ok All: I think I got one this time. #236. It better take you more than 15min to do this one.
Richard. I can't even write some of the words I could not pronounce in French.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 803
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 3:45 am:   

Well done Mike. You got something right! It did take longer than 15mins. Seven mins longer to be precise.
Re French, I still give it a double take when there is Formula 1 racing on TV. Grand Prix indeed! Another one that makes me chuckle is the French for "pregnant". It translates literally to "big because of". If the French had any decency, they'd all learn English, and the Germans,Italians,Spanish, etc, etc. Lazy shower!
Triple Interchange_236_22 mins
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:00 am:   

Hi Ken,
Are you still working through the backlog from your holidays? If so, I'll give you a clue for #236 to help you catch up.
The top four cards in column six are,QH,3H,JH,7D, and it's this one I cleared first.
I'm glad I no longer work nights. Keeping the same hours as owls and bats.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   

Well at least I got something right. I guess I will have to change my difficulty level once again. If it takes me tree days to solve one then I will send it over to you. That should take you at least 25 min to turn into mint sauce.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 807
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   

Make that tree or fur days? More than on day anyway.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   

Oh good grief. Treed again. Ok, now the hunt is on. Try #239. Oh look I found the "H" on my keyboard.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 810
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   

Forty minutes sounds quite reasonable eh? The thing is that I've yet to clear a column. Not only have you got me bunkered, but you've switched balls on me too.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   

Should be about your bedtime. I wasn't getting very far with it. I will take another swing at it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   

I took eighty seven minutes to win the Green Jacket. You missed the cut.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:33 am:   

I am about to throw all my golf clubs and my computer into the hazard. this one is driving me nuts. I got a column cleared and it didn't do me any good. I thought I saw a play to make earlier on but I can't seem to get there again. Don't post anything yet. I will get after it again tomorrow.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:56 am:   

Richard, It's not as if I don't appreciate your clues, but I spent so much time trying to clear column 6 on game #236 that I wasn't concentrating on just trying to win the damn game. I finally cleared column 4 first, and went on from there
text/plainMore than one way to skin a cat
Triple Interchange_apologies_to_PETA_236.pgs (8.6 k)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 812
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:11 am:   

To Mike, By all means sling the infernal clubs off a cliff, but watch out there's nobody from Florida maltreating felines down there. Wouldn't want one of your clubs to hit a cat. But the computer? No! However would we abuse and torment you without one? It may not have crossed your mind, but is it possible I lied about #239 being winnable? Or was that the lie? Is this a double bluff just to wind you up a few degrees more?

I appreciate what you said about spotting a play and being unable to find your way back there. This is a little trick I've used more than once.
You save the game from the position you want to work back from.

Now you must minus PGS into the tray, and open a second PGS by clicking the logo on your desktop.
Then create a new player in the newly opened PGS,and change the background colour of this player to something that is poles apart from the background of your own name. Yellow V black for instance. Now open the problem game in your new identity. You can now alternate between the two open games, making all the reversals in your new ID. By constantly switching between the two you can ensure that you can find the play you'd spotted without losing track of what you're attempting. You'll blow it a few times until you get used to the idea, but it definitely works, particularly if you're undoing a large number of cards. Try it. You can cuss me simultaneously.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 814
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:35 am:   

Hi Ken, We've said it repeatedly, our individual styles of play can make all the difference to how our games pan out. Sometimes we get so far down one road, that we just persist despite the obstacles. Often it would be quicker if we just started it from scratch instead. Also what I consider as decent clues may not make much sense unless you have exactly the same layout in front of you at that point. Well done anyway. Posting my solution so you can see what I was talking about.
application/octet-streamCops askin for you.
Triple Interchange_236_22 mins.pgs (8.7 k)
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:53 am:   

Richard, That's why I like about you: you have an opinion on everything! So what are your thoughts about the animal activists? I don't know if it's just the media, but they certainly seem to be more prevalent over there in Great Britain. Is that true, or is that just a perception? Or is perception reality?? Thoughts?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 815
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   

Animal activists are misguided idiots. (There I go, sitting on the fence again).
An example:- It has been calculated that 6% of all the seabirds on the Bass Rock are being wiped out every year by Mink. All the seabird colonies around the UK have been in dire staits for a few years, some colonies producing zero young. (This is down to global warming, and is another story).
Therefore you don't need to be too good at maths to work out that a 6% anual loss in a non breeding population is not sustainable. This is the devastation being caused in an island population by mink that have swum out to it. The havoc they cause on the mainland is immeasurable.
These mink were imported to the UK in the 60's for fur farming, and some clever people thought it would be a good idea to liberate them. Nuff said?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 816
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   

Your perception regarding animal rights activists being more prevalent in the UK is probably correct.The most recent activity centred round fox hunting with packs of hounds and people on horseback. Had they been hunting anything other than foxes I would have been happy to support the ban, but foxes and mink kill for fun, not for food.If you've ever seen dead lambs in a field in the morning you would have no sympathy for psycho foxes.
Politicians are another bunch of lame brains who pander to the will of the loudest, just to get a few extra votes. In this case they passed legislation banning ANY hunting with dogs. Deer,hares,foxes, badgers etc were protected by law. Now gamekeepers and farmers have to resort to indiscriminate gassing to control foxes. These are also "lamped", ie shot at night using a powerful light beam. Moving targets with a rifle at night! Many are maimed and live for weeks thereafter. Hitherto gamekeepers put a couple of terriers into a foxes den and they killed the cubs with a single bite to the neck.
Town dwellers shouldn't interfere with countrylife unless they fully understand what they're doing, which is never.
Hit a nerve there Ken.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   

In regards to #239. Ok I'm stumped. And I was the one that found this thing. Solvable, unsolvable? Only the wizard who lives atop the bird sanctuary knows. Because I sure don't. I got that end column on the right side cleared again but it's not helping.
I may have to move to Richards part of the world and become a mink wrangler. The import of non native species has harmed many places in the world. Here in the US we have many examples of it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 817
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   

Hi Mike, We also have to thank some bufoon for introducing your Grey Squirrel to the UK. As a result our native Red Squirrel is hanging on for dear life in a few pockets, mainly in Scotland.

Back to PGS. 239 is winnable but at 87 minutes to a solution, is up there with the best/worse of them. I almost cleared columns 5 and 10 but got stumped by the final card. Eventually after a great many knockbacks I got column 3 to co-operate. Partial solution for you.
application/octet-streamThe green light
Triple Interchange_Teed Up_239.pgs (2.6 k)
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   

Thanks Richard. Could not have done it without you. And thanks to your people for sending us Scotch Tape. It is overrunning the country. That can't be the right spelling. Does it go to the museum?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 818
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   

That's where you can stick it.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 819
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 3:58 am:   

To Mike, Thanks for the link to your photos. It forced me to do a bit more with mine, so I've started uploading some. Lots more to follow.
Hope this works. Me and computers, not a marriage made in heaven.
http://community.webshots.com/user/ElizabethMcD

To Kens and everyone else, Feel free to use this link too. I hope you enjoy it.
Mike Butler (Butler77)
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   

Thanks Richard. I'm happy that you had pics of The Falkirk Wheel. I had read about it and it was really amazing to see it. It must be quite a ride. I liked all the other pics too. Going back to look at them again and check the places on my map.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 822
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   

Glad you appreciated them. It's wierd but we pass through glorious panoramas every time we go on holidays, and I rarely bother to take a pic. Familiarity breeds contempt. Will make a point of revisiting a lot of places and puting things right. Also we're slap bang in the middle of "Castle Country" at Inverurie, and we just drive past the most of them. Tel me what interests you and I'll see what I can do. Email me.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 826
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 6:10 am:   

I was just clearing out all the TI numbers I've posted previously and discovered these. I don't know how difficult they were but they must be reasonable before I bothered saving them.
Triple Interchange_1744865535
Triple Interchange_1924180607
Triple Interchange_1142304128

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration