Goodsol Forum » Is it Winnable? » Empress of italy « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

John DIckenson (Cholly)
New Solitaire Player
Username: Cholly

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   

is there any technique apart, from the obvious, relevant to solving any hand? I have played dozens of hands with never a sniff of winning.
Richard Mechen (Richardscotland)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Richardscotland

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   

Hi John, You can often manipulate the stock to your advantage. Click on the top card and then click on undo. You now know the next card that will go into the tableau. I feel that it's a mistake to play cards within the tableau if the next card is no use to you. For example if you had two open kings in the tableau, and you knew that the next card was also going to be a king, there seems to be no merit in accepting it. I always try to have two or three tableau moves that I've deliberately not played, so that I can accept all the best cards that become available from the stock, (the ones that will be needed to complete fragmented runs). Apart from that you should always play with the "auto-play" switched off, and concentrate on getting the "reserve" emptied as soon as possible.
Try 1262447872, which is winnable.
John Dickenson (Cholly)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   

Hi Richard.Thank you for the advice.On my screen any space in the tableau is filled automatically from the stock;even with autoplay off.This would seem to negate your suggestion-or am I misunderstanding something?
I will persevere with 1262447872.Thanks again.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 789
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   

Yes John, if you make a play the top card of the stock does automatically fill the space. What I'm suggesting is that you don't make the play until YOU are ready. Keep a move or two up your sleeve, and just use them to accept cards from the stock that are of use to you.
Every gambler needs an edge, and this is the only one that I can find with Empress of Italy.
John Dickenson (Cholly)
New Solitaire Player

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   

sorry to be thick,but how do I not make a play?
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 820
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   

It's not the easiest thing to describe so we're going to need a ridiculous tableau to try and simplify it.
Let's assume that the initial card dealt to the foundation piles is an ace. You have therefore 15 other foundation piles that are empty, awaiting aces to arrive.
The tableau that was dealt is King, King, King, King, 10,10,10, 6,6,6,5.
The exposed top card of the waste is a 3. The only move that you can make is the five onto one of the sixes. But you've clicked on the stock and discovered that the next card is going to be a ten. Hardly a good decision to accept that, so you don't put the 5 on the 6, but wait until there is a better card hidden on top of the stock pile. Let's say it is a four. You then play your five onto the six. You still have an unused move in reserve if you choose not to play the four onto the five at this point, and just wait till another decent card shows up.
I'm sorry but I can't think of a way to make it any easier to understand.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 821
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   

After you've decided not to play the five onto the six, you have to click on the stock to get the next card in the pile.
John Dickenson (Cholly)
Junior Solitaire Player

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   

Thank you for taking the time to go to all that trouble to explain.I will work on that, and hopefully gain my first success.
Thanks again.Best regards, John D.
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 830
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   

Hi John, That's what this forum should be all about, helping one another. (That and taking pot-shots at Ken Miller and Mike Butler).
Good luck with your Italian lady.
Ken Millar (Tpa_ken)
Master Solitaire Player
Username: Tpa_ken

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   

And that's the worst shot of all, misspelling my name! It's MILLAR!
Master Solitaire Player

Post Number: 832
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   

Sorry Kon.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration